** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

Pop Quiz (part XXXIX) - Call Shove or Fold

robilaruk

Pop Quiz (part XXXIX) - Call Shove or Fold  

1. 1.

• Call and see the flop
    • Shove he is stealing
    • Fold and find a better spot

10 seat cooler, I am the tightest player on the table, the raiser is 2nd tightest and its bubble time whats my play? Damo 100.00/200.00 Texas Hold'em (No Limit ) - 24 October 2008 22:31:32 Cooler (Real /Tournament ) Seat 2: 1gentleman (1994.00) Seat 4: will2k8 (1970.00) Seat 5: mamiblu68 (4603.00) Seat 6: slundi (2040.00) Seat 7: robilaruk (2275.00) Seat 8: capitain06 (2118.00) robilaruk post SB 100.00 capitain06 post BB 200.00 ** Deal ** robilaruk [Jh, Jd] *** Bet Round 1 *** 1gentleman Fold will2k8 Fold mamiblu68 Fold slundi Raise to 400.00 Hero????

Re: Pop Quiz (part XXXIX) - Call Shove or Fold I think I shove. Dont mind a fold (indeed it's probably a better choice). A call is terrible. I think he should probably fold, even with Aces, but you cannot count on him knowing that. (If he had aces he should have open shoved and noone could call - picking up 300 here is fine!) The Gap in these is absolutely huge - much much much more so than other forms of poker - so often you can shove with any two, and others cannot reasonably call with anything (even aces) - success in these games is all about the chips you can pick up pre flop without seeing a flop (let alone a showdown). It's why Slapdash can play them profitably without looking at his cards :loon

Re: Pop Quiz (part XXXIX) - Call Shove or Fold

I think I shove. Dont mind a fold (indeed it's probably a better choice). A call is terrible. I think he should probably fold, even with Aces, but you cannot count on him knowing that.
So surviving is not the correct strategy but aggressiveness is? First 3 games tonight in these, so I have no clue Damo

Re: Pop Quiz (part XXXIX) - Call Shove or Fold Surviving is key, for everyone - so it's about situations where your opponents objective to survive will be stronger than the cards they hold and then levereging that situation. There are frequently situations where your opponents cannot call, no matter what cards they hold. In that situation I raise/reraise all in without looking at my cards. When there are a number of mid stacks (of which you are one) this can give you vital breathing space.

There are frequently situations where your opponents cannot call' date=' no matter what cards they hold. In that situation I raise/reraise all in without looking at my cards. When there are a number of mid stacks (of which you are one) this can give you vital breathing space.[/quote'] Is there value in increasing your variance by being aggressive in these type of games with a flat pay out structure? I understand the need to increase variance in a normal 50/30/20 split, I am unsure why I would want to increase it in a cooler? Damo ps has this been discussed elsewhere on PL (been MIA for a few months :$)

No - you want to minimise your variance in these games. Not sure we've had much specific discussion on coolers :unsure (though slap and I did a prop bet where we played these "blind")
Is it worth opening a thread to discuss? Damo

Damo - this is the kind of situation I'd be open shoving in your position with any two.
(Thanks for the support on the table) In which case I fail to see the difference between this game and a normal STT's - there must be a difference in optimum play given the payout structure surely?:unsure re the winning hand (if you saw it:hope): would you have shoved QQ v the big stack m/r in your BB for 2K with 3 smaller stacks paying the blinds the next few hands, or fold and let them be in trouble and virtually AI with only a couple of blinds at most? Damo

Re: Pop Quiz (part XXXIX) - Call Shove or Fold Didn't see it I'm afraid :unsure But from what you say probably not..... THese games have a far larger "Gap" and all in moves command far greater fold equity than in normal STTs - it's far far more situational than a standard STT. The difference is HUGE! There's also no reward for chip accumulation!