Best Bet Of The Day ~ Thursday 7th

430 Haydock: Woodcutter Saw this one win when I was at Newmarket and was very impressed, Jimmy Fortune was enthusiastic when chatting to the connections afterwards and I think this one can go on improving. Showed the time before he can go on the ground so no excuses and hopefully not another second place.

Re: Best Bet Of The Day ~ Thursday 7th Hay 4.10 Boucheron 12/1 var bog 0.5 pts e.w Another decent race and woodcutter appeals a fair bit but this one too has credentials at this trip for me, made an ok if not amazing debut when in third but reversed form with the second then to bolt up afterwards. Won by miles seemingly, indeed 10 lengths and ok it may have been an average enough maiden but its style was impressive, made all and in style showing lots of stamina, after that fahey for some reason dropped her in trip and she never really coped with it lto but today back up in trip again to 14f, an unknown trip but something that on her second run she should get she has claims even though she hasnt raced on something this soft before.

Re: Best Bet Of The Day ~ Thursday 7th

430 Haydock: Woodcutter Saw this one win when I was at Newmarket and was very impressed, Jimmy Fortune was enthusiastic when chatting to the connections afterwards and I think this one can go on improving. Showed the time before he can go on the ground so no excuses and hopefully not another second place. Sorry mate I think it is 4:10 Haydock not 4:30

Re: Best Bet Of The Day ~ Thursday 7th Brighton 4.00 This race looks very competitive. I backed Spring Dream LTO at Newm but am going to oppose it here given that she often does not find much at the end of her races (form comments of "unable to quicken inside final furlong", "no extra close home", "unable to quicken inside final furlong" etc of late) and because she has been put up again by the handicapper, without winning. The one I fancy from near the top of the handicap is Bassinet. As BTP mentions in the Brighton thread, she is better off at the weights with Spring Dream today (4lb's) after a previous clash at Bath, and could consider herself unlucky not to have beaten that rival that day anyway given that she didn't get a clear run in that race, had to be switched right, and was only just denied after running on. Bassinet was upped from class 5 to class 3 for her last run and that, coupled with a 6 lb hike in the weights, found her out at that better level. Although she is running off 76 again today, the fact she drops down to class 4 means she must have a better chance this afternoon. Whereas the horses infront of here LTO were rated 86, 90, 88 and 87 for that race, now she is dropped in class the highest rated horses she faces today are 79 and 80. This seems more her level given she's rated 76. She ran well enough over CD in May (backed into 13/8f from 5/2, btn 0.5 length second) to suggest she is suited to the track and here sole career win did come on ground faster than good so todays Gd, Gd/Frm is another plus. 1 pt win :hope

Re: Best Bet Of The Day ~ Thursday 7th 3.10 Haydock: Tadalavil Think this one has been waiting for a bit of ease in the ground as all runs to date this year have been on good to firm. Only ran 3 decent races last year: promising 2nd in his maiden (soft); then broke maiden tag at Ripon (good) and finally finishing 3/4length 3rd from a mark of 83 at Newbury (good to soft) - all other runs last year were disappointing but on ground that could have been too firm. Hasn't performed at all well this year but all runs have been on Good To Firm or on AW - as a consequence his mark has slid 16lbs from 85 to 69 today. If ground is the key to this one and able to reproduce anything like it's Newbury running last year then has to be in with a huge shout for this shrewd stable. WIN

Re: Best Bet Of The Day ~ Thursday 7th 4-10 Haydock - Boucheron - Win A reasonable debut in her 12F maiden, taking time to get going and being beaten 6 lengths. By the look of it from her second and third races she wants a bit of cut in the ground. That debut was on GF, so not that shabby in hindsight. Picked up a win in her 2nd maiden, this time on good ground. She got an easy lead and went away at the 2 pole to win by a cosy 10 lengths. Dropped back to 10F for her third race (Class 3 H'cap) on good to fim ground (no idea of the logic behind that) and was beaten into 5th. 14 furlongs today should suit her well, and the ground being soft, I expect a bold bid. 12/1 with Ladbrokes, lower elsewhere. Same price on Betfair, with 11/4 a place. If she tries to make all and gets away, should be able to trade out in running whatever happens at the post. Somebody fancied this last night and mopped up all the big odds, starting with 23/1 in the win market and almost 5/1 in the place market.

Re: Best Bet Of The Day ~ Thursday 7th 5.45 Sandown - Peper Harow (RPF 3/1) -> LAY!! Listed 4th may look good, but the horse was bitterly disappointing lto and yard is not in good form. Hannon's horse may improve and there has been support for the fav, who is representing an inform stable. I would make Peper Harow a lay rather than a play.

Re: Best Bet Of The Day ~ Thursday 7th Folkestone 6.40 - Oil Man - Win Pretty poor class 6 maiden race and this fellow boasts the best form of those that have run with a second last time out P Winkworth is a trainer worth following with two year olds.......they often turn up at big odds This one won't, he'll be favourite because the others look so rubbish Henry cecil has a debutante in the race and I'm rather hoping he gets well backed and the one with the form in the book, Oil Man, drifts out as a result Henry doesn't get many first time winners with his 2 year olds, mind you -he doesn't often run them in class 6 races either, so he must be a danger. But I'll back the one with the form in the book...........

Re: Best Bet Of The Day ~ Thursday 7th S8.25 Silver Blue 0.5pt E/W It seems like this horse needs a turning track to be seen at its best and hopefully tonight will see a return to form. The trainer also has an excellent record when sending his horses quite a distance which must be seen as a positive.

Re: Best Bet Of The Day ~ Thursday 7th Yet again I am resorting to my tactic of picking dead certs - well it called "BBOTD" after all ! The 7:05 in Tipperary will see another winner for Aidan O'Brien when Westphalia lines out against 5 opponents over 7 and a half furlongs. He was entered in a race in Goodwood so must be highly rated by O'Brien. O'Brien's other entrant holds one of the others on form, and the main danger is Jim Bolger's Marina of Venice who is a distance winner, but on different ground to tonight. At a shade of odds against, this will be my first of many in August !!

Re: Best Bet Of The Day ~ Thursday 7th Lady Fas (8.15 Folk) Showed first worthwhile form three runs back when staying on late to be nearest at the finish having missed the break. Next time out was again slowly away and was drawn on the 'wrong side' at Ripon but ran fairly well and finished 1st of the group that raced on the far side. Backed her at big odds to place LTO and she was a tad unlucky not to do so finishing 6th but only a neck and a couple of heads behind the 3rd. Seems to be gradually improving and looks to be worth a bet at the 10/1 generally available.