Hide « Baxter, R v Smith, A
Manley, P v Ovens, D (13:00BST) 1.503.00100.00 % Details »
Hide « Manley, P v Ovens, D
Tabern, A v van der Voort, V (13:40BST) 1.842.2099.80 % Details »
Hide « Tabern, A v van der Voort, V
Hamilton, A v Van Gerwen, M (14:20BST) 1.662.36102.37 % Details »
Hide « Hamilton, A v Van Gerwen, M
Wade, J v Jones, W (19:00BST) 1.166.00102.38 % Details »
Starts this sunday and there looks a few tasty bets around. Format 1st round Best of 19 legs 2nd round Best of 25 legs Quarters Best of 31 legs Semis Best of 33 legs Final Best of 35 legs Draw which then brackets off.
1st Round[2], July 20-22, b.o.19, losers £4,000 2nd Round, July 22-23, b.o.25, losers £9,000 Quarter Finals, July 24, b.o.31, losers £12,000 Semi Finals, July 25, b.o.33, losers £17,000 Final, July 26, b.o.35 £60,000 / £30,000
122px-Flag_of_England.svg.png Phil Taylor
22px-Flag_of_England.svg.png Steve Beaton
1622px-Flag_of_England.svg.png Colin Osborne
22px-Flag_of_England.svg.png Mervyn King
822px-Flag_of_England.svg.png Adrian Lewis
22px-Flag_of_England.svg.png Kevin McDine
922px-Flag_of_England.svg.png Colin Lloyd
22px-Flag_of_England.svg.png Mark Walsh
522px-Flag_of_England.svg.png Terry Jenkins
22px-Flag_of_England.svg.png Alex Roy
1222px-Flag_of_England.svg.png Dennis Priestley
22px-Flag_of_England.svg.png Adrian Gray
422px-Flag_of_Canada.svg.png John Part
22px-Flag_of_England.svg.png Chris Mason
1322px-Flag_of_England.svg.png Alan Tabern
22px-Flag_of_the_Netherlands.svg.png V.v.d. Voort
222px-Flag_of_the_Netherlands.svg.png R.v. Barneveld
22px-Flag_of_England.svg.png Mark Frost
1522px-Flag_of_England.svg.png Kevin Painter
22px-Flag_of_England.svg.png Tony Eccles
722px-Flag_of_England.svg.png Andy Hamilton
22px-Flag_of_the_Netherlands.svg.png M.v. Gerwen
1022px-Flag_of_England.svg.png Wayne Mardle
22px-Flag_of_England.svg.png Mark Dudbridge
622px-Flag_of_the_Netherlands.svg.png Roland Scholten
22px-Flag_of_England.svg.png Matt Clark
1122px-Flag_of_England.svg.png Peter Manley
22px-Flag_of_England.svg.png Denis Ovens
322px-Flag_of_England.svg.png James Wade
22px-Flag_of_England.svg.png Wayne Jones
1422px-Flag_of_England.svg.png Ronnie Baxter
22px-Flag_of_England.svg.png Andy Smith

Re: Darts: StanJames World Matchplay 2008 Im fancying the qtr betting, !st Q- you really cant see past Taylor in this section and i would'nt even suggest backing anyone else. 2QTR- weel this is the most open section, myself i think Tabern at 6s is value, im not convinced by T jenkins at the moment, im not even certain he can get past Roy in round 1, Roy plays well here, elsewher in this qtr, Part or Mason they meet in rnd one and the winner plays Tabern should he win, so im going to back tabern who is on form just now. 3 QTR- again here 4 of the big guns are goin on cousre to play one and other, but i'm goin for Tony Eccles, at 11/1, he has been consistent in the PDC since switching and he reached many qtr finals i really think he is going to have a eral good event sometime soon and i would not be in the least surprised if it was here he is capable of winning this qtr even with Barney, he has been out of sorts of late and i believ there is even talk of him re-joining the ametuers( BDO). 4 QTR- im goin for Andy Smith at 12/1 here, only James Wade will concern him in this qtr and they are due to meet in rnd 2, i just have a feeling that Wade is going to come a cropper at Blackpool, and Wade will not fancy facing the pieman.

Re: Darts: StanJames World Matchplay 2008 Looking forward to the writeup's Sharpie. More than likely going to join you on Walshie. I know someone who knows him and he's well up for this and playing well apparently and whatever it is that's gone wrong with Lloyd it doesn't look like being solved anytime soon.

4 QTR- im goin for Andy Smith at 12/1 here' date=' only James Wade will concern him in this qtr and they are due to meet in rnd 2, i just have a feeling that Wade is going to come a cropper at Blackpool, and Wade will not fancy facing the pieman.[/quote'] Can't agree with you here mate. 1st of all Manley and Scholten will concern Smith big style and you have to remember how hot that Blackpool stage gets. Smith won't be comfortable at all on that stage. In the 2 years he's played here he's lost 1st round both times to Scholten and Bates with an 82 and 85 average. I very rarely back 4/7 shots but 4/7 Baxter is one I'll be getting stuck into.

Re: Darts: StanJames World Matchplay 2008 Gaz went EW on Painter i'm not a painter fan however i have heard he is playing well, and could be a threat, is it true barney is getting disillusioned with life in the PDC?, if so then he could be in for a spanking, How do you rate Eccles, and Wayne Jones, two players who i rate, Eccles i think has achieved so much since joining the PDC, i know he was a top player in the ametuer ranks (BDO!), and i reckon he has a good run in a big tournament coming. Wayne Jones, i like too, seems a decent bloke, hard working to bring up family on his own deserves a big pay day. and finally, King, i thought he would achieve more than he has, is it cos they all hate him so much, they try so much harder!

Re: Darts: StanJames World Matchplay 2008 I've wrote these out once and they didn't post.:@ Lloyd v Walsh Walsh to win 10pts 13/8 SkyBet Lloyd hit an all time low in Las Vegas by getting beat off the qualifier Sam Rooney."Jaws" didn't score anywhere near what he can do and payed for missed doubles,though in truth this has been happening for a while.In the last 2 years in this tourny he's lost heavily,in the first round, to Steve Maish(06) and Mervyn King(07) and with his game in freefall then how he's favourite I really don't know. Walsh on the other hand is enjoying a resurgence in form after suffering from Dartitus last year.He had a ding-dong battle with James Wade in the 2nd round in Las Vegas and with a little more consistancy on his doubles he could have caused an upset.Walsh has been focusing on his finishing in the past few weeks and with steady scoring he should easily be able to grind down Lloyd.

Re: Darts: StanJames World Matchplay 2008 Part v Mason Mason to win 10 pts 7/4 ToteSport Part does like this venue and he is World Champion but the fact that he's out of form will play on his mind.A miserable sod at the best of times he can actually talk himself out of playing well and couple that to the fact that he's been at the WSOP Main event grinding away,his mental state must be put into question.If he's put under pressure early he will struggle and thats where Mason comes in. Mason is starting to play very high calibre darts at the moment,he's fresh as he didn't enter the Las Vegas tournament and has been practising hard on his all-round game.Mason loves a challenge and plays his best darts early on in a tournament,he had a fantastic match against Roland Scholten last year which went into the tie-break where he had a chance to win it but lost out 13-11 in the end.Mason will relish having Part in round one and Mace The Ace should dispatch the Canadian in this match.

Re: Darts: StanJames World Matchplay 2008 I'm thinking of having a punt on Frost to beat Barney.Why? you might ask well i'm off to King George's Hall in my home town of Blackburn tonight to watch some of our Premier League(yes we've ripped of the PDC version)players playing in a little tournament and after that there's gonna be Barney playing the 8 Prem players plus 6 people from the crowd.Now if I can rag it onto the stage and play and beat Barney(piece o cake) then when im shaking his hand I could fall over and twist his hand or wrist or even worse fall on top of him;):lol

Re: Darts: StanJames World Matchplay 2008 Going to do my outright bets now especially as the price on one of my players could go as he is still in the Bobby Bourne atm. Tricky doing outrights though given Taylor's dominance atm and liklihood to win the tournament. So Im going to do something I dont normally do and back a player just to win his quarter and not outright (my view normally is that if he can win the quarter he can win the whole thing.) However in the bottom half I will do outrights as well as quarter bets. Priestley to win quarter 2 4/1 bet3 7.5 pts. Just doing the quarter bet and think Dennis has a good chance here. Since his illness he has recaptured the form he showed to get him into the Premier League. He won a recent players event, played some great darts in the US Open to lose to Taylor in the semi with a 100 average and clearly is continuing his good recent form in the Bobby Bourne where he reached the q/f before losing to Part. Looking at this quarter there has to be a fairly good chance he could get to the last 4. He faces Gray in the first round a player he should beat if on his game. Then he faces the out of form Jenkins or even Roy, not as a hard a game as it could be on form and then in the q/f potentially Part/Tabern/Mason/Voort all of whom are good players but equally so players that Priestley particularly with his style of play can get past. Part would be the hardest of them but despite his from today, he hasnt reached his W/C form this year and overall Priestley can win this quarter. Personally though I couldnt see him beating Taylor if they met in the semi, he has pushed him often in recent years but never beaten him so just the quarter bet. Van Gerwen 80/1 var 1 pt e.w and to win his quarter 10/1 spo 3 pts Taken a chance here with the talented Dutchman. Ok his hasnt reached the heights of his form a couple of years ago, where he was awesome in the IDL, WDT and World Masters. However I just wonder if the big stage could bring out the best in him. He beat Manley here last year in the first round and on talent he can beat anyone including Taylor. His problem is doing it consistently, so often he blows hot and cold but I will take a chance he can blow hot this week. Tricky quarter with Hamilton, Barney, Painter to name a couple but the Dutchman has hinted at a little bit of form in the odd players event in the last month or two, ie. odd quarter and if he gets on a role a big week is very possible for a guy of his talent. Baxter 100/1 var 1 pt e.w and to win his quarter 8/1 boy 3 pts. Baxter is a form horse atm. He has a top record in Blackpool, just lost to Harrington years back in the final and has semi final and q/f appearances for fun without taking that final step. Arguably though he has recaptured that form, it went away for a while but judging by floor results it might be coming back. Beat Taylor early this year which so few have done and has reached finals, semis, q/f etc and has been regularly going deep into events, in Vegas he just failed to qualify but did hit a nice darter and obviously the form is still there in Blackpool. Smith is a game I think he should win before it gets tough, Wade possibly up next although I can see Jones pushing him. However he has just beaten Wade in the Bobby Bourne and despite Wade's top recent TV results, i dont think he is infalliable at all. Manley/Scholten also in his quarter but given Baxter's form he shouldnt be overlooked, 100/1 could look very big next Saturday.

Re: Darts: StanJames World Matchplay 2008 player to record highest ou shot? P Taylor- 13/2, hard to see past the power for any bet on current form and if you had to bet your life onn anyone it would be Taylor, 13/2 i feel is very generous, and i reckon this is a market to give the bookies a bloody nose. Taylor has to be taken at this price. J Part. 14/1, lost count of the number of times i've seen Part, atke out the big finishes , usually in pressure situations he is very capable of 150 + outs, and i think there is value on the canadian here. P Manley- 16/1. Now i am not a fan of Manley, and indeed i don't rate him that highly but he is one dart and is particlarly notorious for pulling out the big finishes, and if he is on big finish and hits the target with the first two darts, the third hitting the double is almost nailed on. those are three im fancying in this market though the beauty is any of the field could do it.

Re: Darts: StanJames World Matchplay 2008 Bets for tomorrow. Mardle 4/5 var 10 pts For the fourth time in 5 years Mardle plays Dudbridge at Blackpool and I reckon mardle can win this clash for the third time on the trot. Arguably Dudbridge hasnt recaptured the form of his win over Mardle in 2004, he went onto reach the final that year and then again in the worlds 5 months later. Since then though his form has never been of those heights and qualifying for these events is no longer easy for him such has been a drop in the world rankings. He has had the odd decent run in 2008 but nothing really substantial. That would probably be a fair statement for Mardle too since the Worlds, a defeat that surely has to hurt. However saying that he did perform with some credit in the Premier League and I thought he looked good in his tight defeat to lewis at the Uk Open where he missed darts to win. It could be a tight one but I see Mardle as the better player and think he can win it. Osbourne 11/10 var 10 pts Another potential tight one on the cards against King. However I just favour Osbourne. Both these two have shown pretty useful form in parts on the circuit this year, king won a players event. However Osbourne also has had some really solid events this year. He did me a favour when winning a UK Open heat up north @ 40/1 and whilst that is his only win, he has had a stack of events where he has featured in the latter stages, including pretty recently in bristol where he became the last player to beat Taylor. Both players generally can score very well and can be prone to the odd missed double which is a bit of a concern. However what I noticed in Vegas on the TV stage was that whilst King is a strong scorer normally, he really struggles when his dart is low of the T20, often meaning he constantly has to switch to the 19s and that is fine if you keep hitting the T19 but it isnt really an ideal situation to have and its something that was happening a lot then and also here in his q/f defeat to Wade last year. In what looks a tight game, something like that if it does happen tilts the balance in Osbourne's favour for me and as the outsider he is the call for me anyway.

Re: Darts: StanJames World Matchplay 2008

player to record highest ou shot? P Taylor- 13/2, hard to see past the power for any bet on current form and if you had to bet your life onn anyone it would be Taylor, 13/2 i feel is very generous, and i reckon this is a market to give the bookies a bloody nose. Taylor has to be taken at this price.
I'm not a fan of this market at any rate but I think it's a market not to back Taylor in. Realistically over a tournament like this it's going to be 164, 167 or 170 which takes the highest checkout and let's assume Taylor wins the tournament without any matches going to sudden death. That would give Taylor a maximum of 74 pops at such a finish. Then take into account his scoring is so heavy at the minute that he will probably only land on 161-170 a maximum of 10 times in the tournament. That to me would make Taylor a 10/1 shot at best so the value isn't there. If I was going to play this market I'd go for someone at a much bigger price. Maybe Painter or King.

Re: Darts: StanJames World Matchplay 2008 I'm going with 4 outrights. 1pt D.Priestley to win World Matchplay 66/1 Boylesports (1/5 1234) I've decided to back Priestley with the alternative each way options here because Taylor would be a possible semi final opponent for the Menace. Since he came back from his illness Priestley has been playing some really good darts and that bodes well for us here. His style will always be an aid to him rather than a hinderance and on this stage of all stages keeping his opponent up there will help. His route to the semi finals isn't easy with John Part and Terry Jenkins along the way should he beat Adrian Gray but Priestley's playing well enough to get to the semis. He's taken Taylor all the way here recently so if Taylor was his semi final opponent and had an off day Priestley could go further but at a shade over 13/1 for Priestley to win his quarter I'll go with the Yorkshireman each way. 2pts ew K.Painter to win World Matchplay 66/1 Skybet (1/2 12) Kevin Painter is playing quality darts at the minute and I've had a feeling for a while that he's going to go really far in one of these majors soon. He made the semi finals in the world championship having looked the winner all ends up by the way he destroyed Barneveld in that tournament. John Part proved too good for him in that tournament but Painter has played well since. He's been unlucky to walk into Phil Taylor early on in the Desert Classic. Painter would have to beat Barneveld in the 2nd round here but that's far from inconceivable given Barney's record in this event and could face Andy Hamilton in the quarter finals but again that isn't impossible. He's playing much better than a 66/1 price tag suggests though and I think he's a great each way bet here. 4pts K.Painter to win 3rd Quarter 7/1 Skybet See above. 1pt ew P.Manley to win World Matchplay 66/1 Blue Square (1/2 12) Peter Manley continues to be overpriced going into tournaments. I guess the fact James Wade is in his quarter would have something to do with that but Wade's played a lot of darts recently and as good as he's been he could be due a poor tournament. Even if he doesn't have it here I still feel Manley is a big price. He's got a decent enough record here having been beaten in one of the best finals ever in 1999. Now that Manley's added heavy scoring to his good finishing he's a danger to anyone in this half of the draw and is worth a small bet at 66/1.

Re: Darts: StanJames World Matchplay 2008 I didnt realise that Boyles were going 1/5 odds places 1,2,3 and 4. Would be much more advisable then that if people were daft enough to follow my tips they should go for these (all boyles): Priestley 66/1 e.w, Van Gerwen 66/1 e.w and Baxter 80/1 e.w as from an e.w point of view they offer much better odds for the player to reach the semi rather than just the final (slightly better e.w terms in that case though) and of course there is no need to do the quarter bets. For P and L terms for this thread though I will settle it from my first post. GL to all this week.

Re: Darts: StanJames World Matchplay 2008 Going to do my match bets for Sunday and Monday now as I'm at Trent Bridge tomorrow and will be watching a recording of the golf so won't be on PL much tomorrow :$. Sunday. 10pts M.Walsh to beat C.Lloyd 6/4 Betfred The 1st match of the tournament could well prove to yield the best bet of the tournament. Mark Walsh was an overrated player years ago even after he made the final of the UK Open but he's even more so now. It's well publicised that he had dartitis but he's over that now and is playing some really good darts. The same can't be said of Colin Lloyd though. He seems to start his matches well then 4-5 legs in he shits a brick and that's that. On his day he can score heavily and beat most people but those days have been seen rarer than rocking horse shit in the majors recently. Walshie's not only playing great darts but he's also got a slow style which won't do Lloyd any favours and I'll take Walshie here. 10pts C.Osbourne vs M.King - Over 16.5 legs 8/11 Bet365 Colin Osbourne and Mervyn King are very well matched players. Both score heavily and neither are too shabby on their doubles. When the draw was made I thought this one could be the tightest match of the entire 1st round and I definitely can't see it being won any worse than 10-7. King showed a bit of form in Vegas while Osbourne went ok in Bolton so they've both got recent good TV experience and at the very worst I think someone will win this 10-7 but it's the kind of match I wouldn't be surprised to go into overtime so I'll take the overs here. Monday. 10pts R.Scholten vs M.Clark - Over 6.5 180's 11/10 Blue Square These two met in a best of 5 set match at the World Championships in December and produced 12 180's between them. This match will be roughly the same length although possibly a few legs shorter but I still think we'll see plenty of 180's. In Vegas a couple of weeks ago Scholten started bashing the 60 bed up and knocking in the 180's and Superman Clark isn't adverse to hitting the maximum scores either. They both play at a similar rhythm which helps and I don't see either winning very easily which will give us plenty of time to get 180's. In truth 7 180's isn't much to ask in a match likely to last at least 16 legs. There was 12 180's in 22 legs in their world championship match so I'll go for over 6.5 here. 10pts J.Part vs C.Mason - Over 16.5 legs 5/6 Blue Square This match looks like a cracking match on paper. John Part is the world champion and as everyone knows Mason has bags of talent. He isn't the strongest mentally though which always hampers him in tournaments. However he's a bit better in the head than he was and he'll know he has to be at his best here. John Part has developed a habit of not getting going quickly in these 1st round matches and that could keep it close for a while. Both are good players though so I expect them to trade blows but when the result is decided I'm pretty sure it'll be no worse than 10-7 either way. 10pts A.Lewis vs K.McDine - Over 7.5 180's 11/10 Boylesports Adrian Lewis is one of the heaviest scorers in the game but we saw at the Grand Slam last year that on the big stage Kevin McDine can trade maximums with the best of them. McDine hasn't gone on from his performance in Wolverhampton at all but I'm sure the big stage and bright lights will get him going and we'll se his A game here. Lewis, however he plays is always good for a few maximums. I see this match being quite close, certainly close enough for us to see 17-18 legs and that will obviously give us more time for the required 180's. Two heavy scorers going toe to toe should give us 8 180's so I'll take the overs here. 10pts P.Taylor -6.5 legs to beat S.Beaton 8/11 Bet365 Phil Taylor is playing amazing darts at the minute and the days of him starting slowly has long gone. In Vegas in the 1st round in a short distance against Kevin Painter he was averaging almost 110. With him being desperate to get this crown back I expect at least a 100 average with it likely to be nearer 104-105 and Steve Beaton just doesn't have the scoring power or the consistency to deal with that. Beaton's a decent enough player in his own rights but he'll plod along with an average at best around the 92/93 mark and I can't see that being enough to take 4 legs off Taylor. It looks a big handicap for Taylor to cover but the form he's in I wouldn't be surprised if he wins this 10-0 but I'm confident he'll win this no worse than 10-3.

Bets for tomorrow. Mardle 4/5 var 10 pts For the fourth time in 5 years Mardle plays Dudbridge at Blackpool and I reckon mardle can win this clash for the third time on the trot. Arguably Dudbridge hasnt recaptured the form of his win over Mardle in 2004, he went onto reach the final that year and then again in the worlds 5 months later. Since then though his form has never been of those heights and qualifying for these events is no longer easy for him such has been a drop in the world rankings. He has had the odd decent run in 2008 but nothing really substantial. That would probably be a fair statement for Mardle too since the Worlds, a defeat that surely has to hurt. However saying that he did perform with some credit in the Premier League and I thought he looked good in his tight defeat to lewis at the Uk Open where he missed darts to win. It could be a tight one but I see Mardle as the better player and think he can win it. Osbourne 11/10 var 10 pts Another potential tight one on the cards against King. However I just favour Osbourne. Both these two have shown pretty useful form in parts on the circuit this year, king won a players event. However Osbourne also has had some really solid events this year. He did me a favour when winning a UK Open heat up north @ 40/1 and whilst that is his only win, he has had a stack of events where he has featured in the latter stages, including pretty recently in bristol where he became the last player to beat Taylor. Both players generally can score very well and can be prone to the odd missed double which is a bit of a concern. However what I noticed in Vegas on the TV stage was that whilst King is a strong scorer normally, he really struggles when his dart is low of the T20, often meaning he constantly has to switch to the 19s and that is fine if you keep hitting the T19 but it isnt really an ideal situation to have and its something that was happening a lot then and also here in his q/f defeat to Wade last year. In what looks a tight game, something like that if it does happen tilts the balance in Osbourne's favour for me and as the outsider he is the call for me anyway.
Nice one as well Woody:ok

Going to do my match bets for Sunday and Monday now as I'm at Trent Bridge tomorrow and will be watching a recording of the golf so won't be on PL much tomorrow :$. Sunday. 10pts M.Walsh to beat C.Lloyd 6/4 Betfred The 1st match of the tournament could well prove to yield the best bet of the tournament. Mark Walsh was an overrated player years ago even after he made the final of the UK Open but he's even more so now. It's well publicised that he had dartitis but he's over that now and is playing some really good darts. The same can't be said of Colin Lloyd though. He seems to start his matches well then 4-5 legs in he shits a brick and that's that. On his day he can score heavily and beat most people but those days have been seen rarer than rocking horse shit in the majors recently. Walshie's not only playing great darts but he's also got a slow style which won't do Lloyd any favours and I'll take Walshie here. 10pts C.Osbourne vs M.King - Over 16.5 legs 8/11 Bet365 Colin Osbourne and Mervyn King are very well matched players. Both score heavily and neither are too shabby on their doubles. When the draw was made I thought this one could be the tightest match of the entire 1st round and I definitely can't see it being won any worse than 10-7. King showed a bit of form in Vegas while Osbourne went ok in Bolton so they've both got recent good TV experience and at the very worst I think someone will win this 10-7 but it's the kind of match I wouldn't be surprised to go into overtime so I'll take the overs here. .
Nice going as well Kev looks like we've had a good Sunday:ok

Re: Darts: StanJames World Matchplay 2008 Good stuff all round yesterday, +19 so far. Going to take the safe options on two handicap bet tomorrow rather than the outright win on my picks, espicially considering the history of my 2 picks. Roy +2.5 legs evens var 10 pts Think Roy can put up a decent effort here. He is so often a frustrating player and in truth since his reasonable w/c effort where he reached the last 16 after knocking out Hamilton, he has done little on the tour. However he is the type of player who on his day can be a danger and give a big player a scare although not always beat then and considering Jenkins' recent poor form that is a possibility here. Jenkins hasnt really got over his w/c defeat to Shepherd, he played comparitively poor in the premier league and showed not that much in bolton and Vegas, in particular his first round win in Vegas was a really poor game (80 average I think.) Also concerning is the lack of form on the floor for Jenkins, traditionally his strength and I can see Roy taking 8 legs off Jenkins here. Mason +3 legs 5/6 sj 10 pts Basically the best odds on offer which means Mason needs 8 legs to win. Part is a class act, no doubt about that. However I cant say he is quite in his w/c form atm. Dont get me wrong he is still playing quite well as shown occasionally such as in the Bobby Bourne and even in events like the PL, Bolton and Vegas he still played an ok level of darts but just not as good as he can do and he maybe slightly vulnerable to the talented Mason. Mason has been going around for years now and so often frustrates but on talent he can beat the best. His form this year has been respectable enough, sometimes going quite deep into floor events and in truth he has probably shown more than Part on the floor this year. He has a history of pushing Part on the big stage, I remember one classic they had which I saw at the worlds a few years back and also a history of pushing matches into the late stages here such as last year and I believe he can do something similar here even if he may just came up a bit short.

Nice going as well Kev looks like we've had a good Sunday:ok
Aye, nice shout with Walshie mate :ok. Monday not been so good for us though. Think we've both been mugged off with Mason's elbow :sad.

Re: Darts: StanJames World Matchplay 2008 -1 now for the event, Mason's unfortunate effective no show a bit annoying. Fancy loads tomorrow, including second round matches which I will come back with at a later point. Baxter -2.5 legs 5/6 boy 10 pts Baxters win price is falling sharp but i still believe he can cover the handicap. i discussed earlier his top form on the floor of late and quite simply i think he has too much for Smith. The pieman may well struggle with the heat of the stage too such as he has done on his previous visits to Blackpool when he has lost with mediocre averages. Smith's floor results have been none to smart either of late and Baxter clearly is in impressive form and if he translates that to the stage I think he will be tough to beat and hopefully win comfortably as he has done in the first year here before, I recall a 10-0 thrashing of Evison for one. Winning the bull does help the handicap. Tabern 10/11 var 10 pts Toughish match to call but im going for Tabern. Tabern has been in impressive form of late and has been showing it on the stage as well as on the floor, he reached the q/f of Bolton and Vegas. One of the secrets of his success is that he rarely loses matches that he hasnt been fancied for, ie. the fav or the 50/50 matches, and he has done that since he has been in the PDC and this match falls into that criteria. Voort is a real rythmm player and yes he is very dangerous and full of the natural ability to beat Tabern but Tabern is one of the form horses in the PDC so far in 2008 and he can take this. Van Gerwen 11/8 var 10 pts Another tough match to call but @ 11/8 the call is for the young and talented Dutchman. Hamilton is a really solid player and generally i would rather go with the more solid player in a clash of this type but I just feel Van Gerwen is set for a good week somehwere along the line. It could well be that the big stage of Blackpool brings it out of him, he beat Manley after all here last year in the first round. He does have some results on the floor that hint that he still has some recent form and @ 11/8 he is the pick against the steady Hamilton. Jones +6 4/5 sj 10 pts and 5 pts 6/1 var A bit risky here because Im upping the stakes but effectively what Im doing is hoping that this reduced handicap can cover the riskier match bet. For the handicap bet Jones needs 5 legs and he is very capable of that I would say even against Wade. Wade as we all know is genuine quality but I cant help a bad event is around the corner somewhere for him, despite reaching the final in Vegas recently he never totally convinced me he was 100% on his game. Jones is a really solid player and he has had some top results on the floor this year at times, he played well in Bolton and beat part in reaching the q/f befor eplaying poorly where the pressure of being fav. maybe got to him. He wont have that pressure here, he is the underdog and people arent expecting him to win but 6/1 is too tempting for me and if Jones can play like he can then he can cover the handicap like he would have done comfortably against Wade last year, when he lost here 10-7, not helped by going for a stupid 25 on 57 to leave D16 at a crucial time in that match and that cost him that match imo on that day. Maybe a bit of a revenge.

Re: Darts: StanJames World Matchplay 2008 That was a crap day. Wasn't helped by 7 180's in that Lewis vs McDine match and countless 120's before a final dart single twenty. That's darts though I guess. Went from +22.27 to -17.73 in one go. Will sort out the outrights when they are all settled. Going for 3 tomorrow afternoon. Will do the evening matches tomorrow because there's a couple I've got an eye on. 10pts R.Baxter -2.5 legs to beat A.Smith 5/6 Boylesports Ronnie Baxter is playing really good darts at the minute and I thoroughly expect him to see off the Pieman in style here. I considered taking the sponsors -3 but I prefer to play safe when I bet so -2.5 it is. Baxter made the final of the Bobby Bourn Memorial at the weekend to prove he's playing well and he loves this stage having been a previous finalist. Andy Smith can't like this stage much. He's played here twice and lost both times and the heat on the stage can't help a guy of his size. I'm not writing him off because of that though. Baxter's proven quality and I always think Smith's best chance of doing some damage is over shorter distances. This isn't a short distance so it's a Baxter win by at least 3 for me. 10pts V.van der Voort most 180's vs A.Tabern Evs Betdirect I was going to back Vincent van der Voort to win this match at odds against but I think the matchup is good form him to score more 180's. Alan Tabern knows where the treble 20 is don't get me wrong but once the Dutchman starts pinging 180's he can go off his tits with them. He usually performs his best darts against a fairly quick player and Tabern certainly isn't slow even if he is a bit more deliberate than some. Van der Voort's as short as 8/13 in places and I'm certain Evs is overpriced and I'll go with the Dutchman to ping more maximums here. 10pts A.Hamilton vs M.van Gerwen - Over 16.5 legs 5/6 Blue Square Andy Hamilton looks like he's coming back into form and he'll need to be to be able to go with the superb young Dutch kid van Gerwen. van Gerwen sent Peter Manley packing in the 1st round here last year and he could easily send the Hammer home here too. Neither player fared too well at the Bobby Bourn on Saturday but neither did Kevin McDine and look at him. van Gerwen did check out a 170 against Dudbridge though so he appears to be playing well. Hamilton is playing well as we saw in Vegas and if he goes behind we know he'll fight all the way. van Gerwen's scoring should keep him in this match and it looks like it could go to extra time. Whatever the final score is though, I think it will be no worse than 10-7 either way.

Re: Darts: StanJames World Matchplay 2008 The 7 180's just did nicely for me in the Barney match, I thought I had lost it, as I watched most of the match but only saw a couple of doubles. Paddies go 13/8 Van der Voort, with a 2.5 leg start, I think they have mixed up the prices, seeing as Bet365 go 13/8 on Tabern -2.5. I will go with Jones on the h/cap as well, as think he can pick up at least 5 legs!

Re: Darts: StanJames World Matchplay 2008 When i was watching the Phil Taylor match i heard commentator say something about some guy having £312,000 on Phil Taylor, does anyone know/hear if it was just to win the 1st round against Steve Beaton or to win overall?