The Effect of the Draw?

Discussion point here......the effect of the draw? Now, I'm pretty certain people will consider a draw bias over a sprint distance where there is a big field assembled. However, there are 2 instances where I believe many people ignore the effect of the draw:- 1. Sprint races with less than 10 runners (reason: because of the size of field, draw will not have an effect) 2. Race over 1m in distance with decent sized fields (reason: over this distance, runners have plenty of time to overcome a wide draw) I think both of these reasons are pure rubbish and I use the effect of the draw in handicaps irrespective of field size and race distance. This, I believe, sometimes gives me an edge in terms of expected price I can achieve on a given selection. It is common place that prominent racers win the majority of handicaps in the UK and therefore the key point here is that 'a good, early position is crucial'. What do others think? What do you do? Am I talking rubbish? All thoughts / opinions / questions welcome:ok

Re: The Effect of the Draw? I must admit, despite the fact there appears to be a draw bias at certain courses I usually ignore the draw - ignorant I know and it probably hampers my chances in the big sprints. I suppose you want a good draw so your horse can take up its favoured position and avoid traffic problems on the run in but its one of the last factors I ever look for, if at all :$ My personal thought process in making a pick is usually along the lines of.... 1) Does the horse handle the going 2) Has it won off its current OR 3) Does its current weight look reasonable 4) How easily did it win last time out 5) Is it proven over the distance/did it shape as if distance would suit on previous runs If a horse ticks all of the above I usually go for it regardless of jockey or trainer form/draw/whether the race will be run to suit etc. As a novice to the horses I'll probably start to take more notice of those factors in time though.

This thread has more posts. To see them, you'll need to sign up or sign in.