Min buy in Strategy

glceud

Dont think I'm imagining this but I think a few players are using the following strategy I've playing 0.50/1.00 full ring tables for the past couple of months, about 20,000 hands, and noticed a few players buying in for $20. The majority buy in for the max at this level. Basically the short stacks wait for a hand were there has been a standard raise and one or two callers and then push their $20 all in. If your the initial raiser what do you need to call with, taking into account the non existence of implied odds plus the fact that you will be out of position if the other caller/s remain in the pot? So the short stack has in my eyes a great chance of taking the pot uncontested simpy because he is a short stack and more often than not does, and even if one other player calls he's not getting bad odds with any 2 cards. He's also increasing his chances of getting paid out when he does have a hand preflop. Any one on here do this or am I imaging it. I certainly wouldnt do it too often if I had bought in for the max. Had pocket aces today when down to $25 and had an early position raiser with 4 callers so I shoved, the initial raiser goes "nice squeeze play" and calls as did the other 4 and I got humped by 4/5 suited.:sad

Re: Min buy in Strategy

Dont think I'm imagining this but I think a few players are using the following strategy Basically the short stacks wait for a hand were there has been a standard raise and one or two callers and then push their $20 all in. If your the initial raiser what do you need to call with, taking into account the non existence of implied odds plus the fact that you will be out of position if the other caller/s remain in the pot?
Yes its a great strategy if you are uncomfortable with post flop play. what to call with - JJ/1010+ would be my guess, a lot of shoves will be A9+ KQ and maybe if they are pretty short 66+, KJ, A6+, which means their range is failry big. However you have hit the nail on the head, you make it $4 get 2 callers and shortie shoves for $15, if you only call there is now about $40 in the middle with the blinds and its only $11 more for someone else to call - so calling is not an option really, you should raise to force them to fold/create a side pot. I found that short stack shoving never worked on a full table for me simply because of what you described with AA - the min buy strategy works better on short tables when you have less players and are less likely to be called by more than one of them. Cheers Damo

This thread has more posts. To see them, you'll need to sign up or sign in.