** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

Terminator Xtreme STTs

slapdash

Re: Terminator Xtreme STTs Not going too well again :sad I think the "problem" with this game is that we seem to be coming to the conclusions on the way you should play as not being too dissimilar to the way a lot of bad players play standard STTs - i.e. being involved in pots you shouldn't be in.... so you have a lot of bad players here, who actually arent playing THAT badly in this structure, probably without appreciating why :unsure

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Terminator Xtreme STTs Well, maybe, but I suspect the "bad" players don't play "bad" enough. I'm not sure that you can draw any real conclusions from a small number of attempts. If we're close to the right way to play, then it should lead to a lot of early exits for zero return, and a few big cashes. I've won three of these so far, getting about 70% of the prize pool each time. Even if you only win one in six like that, and get nothing from the other five, then you'd be in profit. By the way, if you do get to heads-up, the players are really bad, and because of the structure there's usually a lot of play left for you to impose your superiority. I haven't lost a heads-up in this, and despite the fact that in two of them I started with about 25% and 30% of the chips, I never really even felt that there was much danger so long as I was patient.

Re: Terminator Xtreme STTs :lol :lol Played a couple this morning and went a bit better :ok All in on hand 1 really does seem to make a difference...... Not quite nailed down how to play after that though when I have doubled or tripled through.....

Re: Terminator Xtreme STTs There's a really satisfying thing that happened to me once. I was all-in hand 1, but got no callers, so I started hand 2 a small chip leader. Hand 2 was a 4-way all-in, and one of the other players won with a monster hand, leaving me with small change. I thought "ho, hum!" and then realized that I'd won $7.50 because I'd come second, the winner had been big blind on the first hand and was the "short" stack, so technically I had eliminated the other two players. :loon

Re: Terminator Xtreme STTs An interesting situation came up this evening. There were three players left. I had about half the chips and the other half were fairly evenly distributed between the other two players. But one of them had quite a large bounty, whereas the other just had the $5 he'd started with. Now it seems to me that it's to my advantage if the large bounty has slightly more chips than the other player, so that there's no immediate danger of the other player winning his bounty before I get a chance to. So if the small bounty has the slightly larger stack, it might be right for me to "dump" a few chips to the large bounty. I didn't, mainly because I didn't get an opportunity, but partly because I was thinking about whether this would be ethical (on reflection I think it's clearly ethically fine, although I'm not sure I'd relish having to justify myself if the large bounty had been a friend).

Re: Terminator Xtreme STTs

Not quite nailed down how to play after that though when I have doubled or tripled through.....
I think I'm coming to the conclusion that you shouldn't distort your play too much from this point on. Too often I've frittered away my chip lead by staying in pots to give myself a chance of getting any bounties that are going, and then find myself the short stack with about four players left, with a lot of work to do to get anything more. If you triple up at the beginning, you've already won 1.5 buy-ins, and there are usually almost 4 buy-ins to be won in the heads-up. And if you do get to the heads-up, you'll probably get another bounty or two along the way just by playing normally. Depends a bit on how much the other players distort their play, though, and if there are very short stacks around, it's probably worth investing some chips to have a shot at their bounties.

So if the small bounty has the slightly larger stack, it might be right for me to "dump" a few chips to the large bounty. I didn't, mainly because I didn't get an opportunity, but partly because I was thinking about whether this would be ethical (on reflection I think it's clearly ethically fine, although I'm not sure I'd relish having to justify myself if the large bounty had been a friend).
And another thing ... I suspect it's very easy to get an advantage by colluding in this form of poker (if it is poker?). I don't think I'd want to play this for high stakes against people I didn't trust.

So if the small bounty has the slightly larger stack, it might be right for me to "dump" a few chips to the large bounty. I didn't, mainly because I didn't get an opportunity, but partly because I was thinking about whether this would be ethical (on reflection I think it's clearly ethically fine, although I'm not sure I'd relish having to justify myself if the large bounty had been a friend).
You're making your own personal play to maximise your return, without discussion with the other players - there can be no ethical issues....

I think I'm coming to the conclusion that you shouldn't distort your play too much from this point on. Too often I've frittered away my chip lead by staying in pots to give myself a chance of getting any bounties that are going, and then find myself the short stack with about four players left,
Agreed :ok I have managed to double/triple through a few times, then not got the benefit from it.....