** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

Terminator Xtreme STTs

slapdash

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Terminator Xtreme STTs

Sorry my PC crashed - next one (Slap out first hand in other ;) )
Again?! Or are you telling the rest of them about the one we played?!
lol - no - again
I played five of these last night for $5.50 each. I won nothing in three of them (including the two where I was out first hand, obviously), and won $42.50 and $31.25 in the other two. I'm quite happy with a 168% ROI, even if it does mean I get laughed at. :tongue2

Re: Terminator Xtreme STTs Nice one slap :ok Was dreaming about this (:unsure - there you can laugh at me now too!!) trying to work out optimal strategy...... came to the conclusion that there's something to be said for going all in every hand until you double up (or go out) - also worth showing that you're doing it with crap to encourage looser calls.... If you get through hand 1 (just picking up 10/20 blinds) then you are chip leader and so noone can knock you out (though they can hurt you badly obviously!!)

Re: Terminator Xtreme STTs Here's a thought experiment that I think illustrates how different this is from normal STTs. A $10 10-player STT. Suppose the nine other players go all-in first hand without looking at their cards. What should your strategy be? Compare a normal STT with $50/$30/$20 prize structure and this structure. Let's ignore the possibility of a split pot for simplicity (though the fact that a split pot is possible will make the conclusion a bit less clear, I admit). If you fold, you're left heads-up against a player who has nine times as many chips as you. If you're equally skilled, you have about a 10% chance of winning. So in the normal STT, your expected return is $32 (the $30 you're guaranteed for second place plus 10% of the extra $20 for first place). In this structure, your heads-up opponent will have a total bounty of $30 (his original $10 plus $2.50 from each of the other eight players), and you have a bounty of $10, so you have a 10% chance of winning $40: your expected return is $4. If you call and lose, then you win nothing in either structure except that in the normal STT you may get something for 2nd or 3rd place. If you call and win, then you get $50 in the normal structure and $100 in this structure. So in a normal STT, if you call you'd be risking $32 to gain $18 if you wouldn't get any 2nd/3rd place prize money if you lose. Probably a fold even with pocket aces. Even if you'd be guaranteed second place prize money for losing, you'd still be risking $2 to gain $18, so you'd need a better than average hand for calling to be +EV. But in this structure, you'd be risking only $4 to gain $96. You're getting odds of 24/1. Probably a call with any two cards.

Re: Terminator Xtreme STTs

Was dreaming about this (:unsure - there you can laugh at me now too!!) trying to work out optimal strategy...... came to the conclusion that there's something to be said for going all in every hand until you double up (or go out) - also worth showing that you're doing it with crap to encourage looser calls.... If you get through hand 1 (just picking up 10/20 blinds) then you are chip leader and so noone can knock you out (though they can hurt you badly obviously!!)
Yes. I'm not yet quite convinced that all-in on hand one with any two cards is the optimal strategy, but I wouldn't discount the possibility.