Boxing: Haye v Mormeck - Nov 10

Re: Boxing: Haye v Mormeck - Nov 10 I'm surprised. Maybe I've over-rated him:unsure IMO the loss to Thompson still hangs heavily over Haye's career. It raised big questions about his stamina and chin which many feel are still unanswered. However, he's come on leaps and bounds since then with impressive wins over Gurov, Johanssen and Fragomeni in 3 of his last 4 fights at cruiser and the win against Bonin at heavyweight in his last fight. His power is absolutley unquestionable, as is his skill and for my money his chin and stamina too. He also has a big height and reach advantage over Mormeck. Mormeck is obviously no pushover. Massively experienced and a very worthy champion having taken the belts off O'Neill bell in a rematch, after he lost the first fight by KO. And it's that single KO that holds the key IMO. Bell is a fighter with a very similar record to Haye in terms of knockouts, whilst Mormeck has a much lower proportion of KOs and IMO will not have the power to really trouble Haye. If it goes the distance then Mormeck will probably take it on points, but I just can't see it getting that far. I'm having: 3.6 pts Mormeck on points (4.5, betfair) 6.4 pts Haye by knockout (2.5, betfair) :ok

Re: Boxing: Haye v Mormeck - Nov 10 Home advantage could be crucial in this fight. Agree with PaulM though, Haye by KO or a dodgy decision going the Frenchman's way.

Is Mormeck likely to make the step up to Heavyweight as well Paul?
At 35 I can't see him going up to Heavyweight. If he wins this then his status in the cruiserweight world will be cemented. It may be that he and Maccarinelli get it on somewhere down the line. Haye is almost too big for a cruiser that's why he's exploring the Heavyweight scene.

Re: Boxing: Haye v Mormeck - Nov 10

At 35 I can't see him going up to Heavyweight. If he wins this then his status in the cruiserweight world will be cemented. It may be that he and Maccarinelli get it on somewhere down the line. Haye is almost too big for a cruiser that's why he's exploring the Heavyweight scene.
Yeah, if he was going to step up to heavy he'd have done it by now. Not surprising that Warren wants the winner of this to fight Maccarinelli, can't see it personally. Mac doesn't really bring anything to the table. I was just having a read of a few boxing forums after I posted this earlier and the general consensus seemed to be Mac would have the beating of Haye at Cruiser because he struggles so much with the weight these days, but Haye would smash him at heavy. That's why Warren is so keen to get it on now. Personally I think Haye would knock him out early doors at any weight.

Re: Boxing: Haye v Mormeck - Nov 10 As just discussed with Kevshat Haye certainly has the power but i'm not liking that one armed defence. I've seen boxers fight like that when they have injured their arms or hands, to fight like that through choice is just wrong. Any hard hitter with a big right hand would have taken him out. I think his chin is very suspect but he certainly has heart and guts to get up off the floor and win by KO. Thought my bet was gone after the 4th and pleasantly surprised that he turned it round. I'm not sure Haye will be able to change that style but he certainly needs to as it could inconvenience him in the future. Saying that, the heavyweight division is that piss poor you could probably tie one arm behind his back and he'd still beat fighters like Williams, Sprott and Skelton. ;) A very interesting future lies ahead for him.

Re: Boxing: Haye v Mormeck - Nov 10

As just discussed with Kevshat Haye certainly has the power but i'm not liking that one armed defence. I've seen boxers fight like that when they have injured their arms or hands, to fight like that through choice is just wrong. Any hard hitter with a big right hand would have taken him out. I think his chin is very suspect but he certainly has heart and guts to get up off the floor and win by KO. Thought my bet was gone after the 4th and pleasantly surprised that he turned it round. I'm not sure Haye will be able to change that style but he certainly needs to as it could inconvenience him in the future. Saying that, the heavyweight division is that piss poor you could probably tie one arm behind his back and he'd still beat fighters like Williams, Sprott and Skelton. ;) A very interesting future lies ahead for him.
Nice to see him delivering. Although I haven't seen the fight yet (no doubt it will be on youtube, or failing that worldboxingvideos, going on what I've seen before I take your point about the defence. Not sure I'd say his chin is suspect but it's hardly rock solid, and that defence doesn't do him any favours, especially when he gets in with the big hitters. On the other hand - how much power has he got? How much power will he have with an extra 2 stone on him? He can clean up. Look at his physique, he'll absorb 2 stone with barely any loss in speed, he definitely won't lose any speed off his outrageously good jab. Someone like Samuel Peter would struggle to get near him. If he doesn't hold at least two of the heavyweight belts at once I'll be very surprised. There's also another point - and this is the reason why Calzaghe (or indeed any Warren fighters) don't get any respect. Haye has unified the titles in his 21st fight. WBA and WBC, not some WBO or WBU bull. It's taken Calzaghe 10 years of knocking over virtual bums to get where Haye is tonight, it will probably take Amir Khan the same length of time if he stays with Warren. Haye could well be the saviour of the heavyweight division.

Re: Boxing: Haye v Mormeck - Nov 10 Cheers for that, just had a look. That's much lower than he normally carries it. Got a feeling it might be an energy thing, knowing he was in for the long haul. Them punches must be hard. Thought the ref had stopped it early but if you look he actually asks Mormeck if he wants to stop and he nods. That's an undisputed world champion and battle hardened veteran's bottle going. Impressive.

Re: Boxing: Haye v Mormeck - Nov 10 Today's Bettingzone Market News: 1415: The latest British boxing world champion, David Haye, landed a knockout blow on William Hill following his dramatic seventh-round stoppage of Frenchman Jean-Marc Mormeck in Paris on Saturday night. A Hill's client staked £25,000 on Haye at Even money and spokesman Graham Sharpe said: "We felt the knockout punch as vividly as Mormeck! "That was the biggest boxing bet we've taken for many a year on a non-heavyweight fight." Hills now make Haye 6/1 to leave the cruiserweight division behind and win one of the major (WBA-WBC-WBO or IBF) versions of the heavyweight title before the end of 2009 - a sucker bet it seems given that even the ultra-confident Haye reckons it will take him until 2010. Haye said: "In a realistic world, with the situation as it is with the fragmented divisions, I reckon three years is a realistic time frame for me." Haye is 1/2 favourite to beat fellow Brit Enzo Maccarinelli (6/4) should they meet, and 5/6 to beat British heavyweight champ Danny Williams (also 5/6). "The successes of Calzaghe and Haye are a great omen for Ricky Hatton and his up-coming super-fight against Floyd Mayweather should be the biggest boxing scrap of the year," added Sharpe. "Hatton is being heavily backed and is 6/4 to win the fight for which Mayweather is 1/2 with the draw 20/1."