Int'l Friendly : Poland v Italy (Wed 12th Nov)

Int'l Friendly : Poland v Italy (Wed 12th Nov) I believe this is the squad Trap has selected for the match, though Totti has since withdrawn by claiming to be injured during the Rome derby(since when was he ever available for Italy besides during the big tournaments anyway? :lol ) Squad: Goalkeepers; Christian Abbiati (AC Milan), Francesco Toldo (Inter Milan) Defenders: Fabio Cannavaro (Inter Milan), Matteo Ferrari (Parma), Fabio Grosso (Perugia), Marco Materazzi (Inter Milan), Alessandro Nesta (AC Milan), Massimo Oddo (Lazio), Giuseppe Pancaro (AC Milan), Christian Panucci (AS Roma) Midfielders: Gennaro Gattuso (AC Milan), Marco Marchionni (Parma), Simone Perrotta (Chievo), Andrea Pirlo (AC Milan), Cristiano Zanetti (Inter Milan) Forwards: Antonio Cassano (AS Roma), Bernardo Corradi (Lazio), Marco Di Vaio (Juventus), Fabrizio Miccoli (Juventus), Francesco Totti (AS Roma), Christian Vieri (Inter Milan). Don't think Italy will let up much as a couple of these lads will be trying to stake a claim for a place in the Euro 2004 squad. :b Perhaps, should there be too many substitutions, the rhythm of the game may be affected but Italy certainly look decent against a Polish side which seems to be in virtual disarray at the moment. :hat

Guest kojic2003

Re: Int'l Friendly : Poland v Italy (Wed 12th Nov) I agree with you here! ;) Italy will not play with the best team,but still these players have enaugh quality to beat Poland.Host are without some players like Hajto and Olisadebe. POLAND(4-4-2):Dudek - Klos,Bak,Zielinski,Zewlakov - Kosowski,Kukielka,Lewandowski,Krzynovek - Rasiak,Niedzelan Subs:Szamatoulski,Baszczynski,Rzasa, Surma,Bieniuk,Saganowski,Zurawski ITALY(4-2-3-1):Toldo - Panucci,Cannavaro,Nesta,Pancaro(Oddo) - Zanetti,Perrotta - Marchionni,Cassano,Di Vaio - Vieri Subs:Abbiati,Ferrari,Materazzi,Oddo (Pancaro),Grosso,Gattuso,Pirlo,Bazzani,Miccoli Poland will play against Serbia & Montenegro in Sunday.If Italy blow up here,we won't for sure. 8)

Re: Int'l Friendly : Poland v Italy (Wed 12th Nov) I wouldn't touch this game either. The Italians do not care much for friendly games (either the players or fans) and any result is possible here. On the plus side if you really MUST back Italy - I believe they are actually a better side without Totti - so his absence will do the Italians a favour. Come to think of it he is a 'big time charlie' even in games that matter - so in a friendly his appearance would have been a massive negative for the Italians. Anyway - this has turned into a bit of a ramble :o - I still wouldn't back Italy (Totti issues aside).

Guest kojic2003

Re: Int'l Friendly : Poland v Italy (Wed 12th Nov) I don't see the point! :\ This is not some friendly match in the middle of the qualifications.EURO2004 will start in a few months and this match is a chance for players like Miccoli,Cassano,Perotta,Di Vaio,Grosso,... to show their quality and to catch the place for Portugal.Poland hasn't been impressive in qualifications and they have a lot of problems with the squad now,because some of the key players are out.Also Dudek isn't confident at all.Krzynovek will be in starting eleven and he plays in 2nd league(Nurnberg)!I'm much more confident in this Italian "B-team" in these kind of matches,than in players like Del Piero,Totti,Inzaghi,...

Re: Int'l Friendly : Poland v Italy (Wed 12th Nov) Thanks for the views guys. ;) No doubt this is just a friendly, but I always view friendlies leading up to a major tournament(ie.not some makeshift match stuffed in the middle of a qualifying campaign or some money-spinning ones like those involving Brazil-China) as perhaps, the most credible friendlies to bet on as many of those players(especially, the non household names) would want to stake a claim in the lead-up to Euro 2004. ;) That said, Poland would very much have little to play for since they aren't even going to Portugal and therefore, the clash would not particularly fire up its players given the motivation which is virtually non-existent. I'm banking on the fact that Poland would be merely going through the motions while Italy would at least have half a team eager to impress Trap to include them for next summer's finals in Portugal. :p Add to that, the gulf in class of the players just swings this in Italy's favour - this is just a 'leisure' bet for me, but I'm tempted by the value more than anything(and IMO, I'm convinced Italy have got a decent chance of getting a result here, so there you go... :p )

Guest puchacz2000

Opinion from Polish side No matter how reluctant I am to admit it this it does look like Italy is going to show us our true place in the rank. Although in such instances I would be willing to place some hope on the "friendly" factor this does not seem to work too well here for the reasons already mostly discussed: 1. Motivation should be high on Italian side due to the fact that a few young, talented players will probably get this rare opportunity to be let onto the pitch and show off before Euro starts 2. Polish players' motivation should likewise be there (the new team is being built for WC qualifiers and finally there's a good chance old squad will be desintegrated and new faces can hop into the national team for a longer period) but the class difference nevertheless remains 3. Personals - rumors about flu bug in the Polish camp has been a little blown up but the truth is the midfield formation is practically non-existent for the match (Szymkowiak and Sobolewski are out due to injury and health problems) and one of our best defenders Glowacki probably won't play also. The hope for credible result could rest on Dudek in goal (but not flying high recently) and attack formation but I doubt Niedzielan will be able to repeat his superb performance in the last Hungary match. Last but not least. I'm still a Pole so I turned to statistics to dig up some hope. And I found that out of 13 matches between Poland and Italy 6 ended with a draw out of which 5 with a goalless one. Out of last six only the last one ended in over 2 goals being scored (3-0 to Italy). And a little curiosity to finish with - Italy has not yest scored a single goal (!) while confronting our team in Poland. Concluding, I wll not bet on result in this game as frankly I would have to be betting against my national team which is not a bad idea as long as you are bound to make money on it but somehow I'm still not that much convinced it cannot end like 0-0 or 1-1 by some fluke. However, I will look closely at over/under market as I think under 2,5 goals could be a good proposition for this match (I haven't checked odds yet, though, but anything around 1,80 should be worth a punt). That's for Italy game. Not much optimism on my side but I already look forward to our clash with S&M where I truly think Poland will be a profitable team to follow - I know you are not near agreeing to it Kojic, but imo S&M's real place in football rankings is about the same as Poland's now and we're going to verify it in a couple of days' time. Good Luck :D

Guest kojic2003

Re: Opinion from Polish side

but imo S&M's real place in football rankings is about the same as Poland's now and we're going to verify it in a couple of days' time
Are you sure? ;) Maybe a few months ago,when our national team was in crisis,but now...? :) I have checked the odds for this match,and it looks like that price for away win is little too high. 8) Maybe I'm wrong,but it seems that our football is in uptrend period.Also Tomasz Rzasa(Poland) isn't regular player in Partizan,but still he plays for national team! ;) Legia is one of the best teams in Poland,and their key attacker is Svitlica.I'm not sure that this guy could play for Red Star or Partizan.Also Wisla drew with Valerenga(0:0),which is one mediocore team and Red Star was clearly better team against Rosenborg.Poland can beat S&M,that's not quastionable,but they have problems with squad and on the other hand our players finnaly give 100% in national team.We will not have any problems with squad(only Ljuboja is injured) and Poland is going to be little tired after their clash with Italy. 8) There are rumours that coach Petkovic will call Svitlica for this match,but I'm not sure.I think that Zigic(Red Star) will be his pick,because he is much younger and in superb form too.Anyway I expect a nice match!1,X,2?Well,everything is possible here. :D Of course,I believe that we can't lose,because of atmosphere in the team and many other reasons. :smokin

Guest highlander

Re: Opinion from Polish side I've gone for Italy not to lose at 2/9 with hills (combie of win and draw) italy are obviously the better team, but with it being a friendly etc, the draw is not out of the question. the bookies seem to agree with 0-0 being 5/1 and the halftime-full tiem draw being 16/5???

Guest puchacz2000

No I'm not sure of anything that relates to the possible outcome of our team's play. That's why sometimes you can get really good, nicely overpriced odds on them (like in Hungary match for instance). You've been able to bring up numerous arguments for your case but I don't think they're material and judging national teams by local clubs' international cup performance is not too viable imo for obvious reasons of the best players' normally leaving abroad sooner or later. Anyway, that will be nice match for sure and let's stick with that. I'd just be much concerned in your place to hear your coach even considers including Svitlica to the national squad, really ;) OK he might have this genius hunch for placing himself in front of a goal so as to make himself available for deflecting the shots or making involuntary use of goalkeepers' blunders. But the player he's none. And Inzaghis' genetic code belongs solely to Inzaghi's family - no other football player would be able to copy it :lol All the best to you, Kojic, and wish the next time we appreciate our team's chances it will be a day before they meet in 2006 WC final (what a joking mood I'm in today :) ) Cheers 8)

Guest puchacz2000

Unbelievable 3-1 Poland :eek And I dared to have my doubts about their superiority ;) . If they only played half that good during Euro qualifiers.... I don't understand these players sometimes. And frankly Poles were better all the match through. At least now I suppose S&M will be a piece of cake on Sunday :p Cheers :D

Re: NOT Unbelievable Sorry for any of you guys who backed Italy. But like I said (and we all know it's true really) - STAY AWAY FROM FRIENDLIES. In fact (and maybe this should be a new thread???) - what stats are there on always backing the outsider in friendlies to either win or not to lose? Would that turn in a profit in the long term??? Anyone got any figures?

Guest heniek31

Re: NOT Unbelievable Well done Poland. What a great result. Im always happy when we are underestimated and I know its only friendly but who wouldnt like to gloat about beating Italy. First Groclin and now this. That much of happines should be illegal.