** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

Euro 2004 play-offs second leg

Guest heniek31

Guest heniek31

Prices from bet365: 19 Nov-16:30 Slovenia v Croatia 2.37 3.00 2.75 19 Nov-18:30 Norway v Spain 4.00 3.25 1.80 19 Nov-18:30 Turkey v Latvia 1.30 4.33 8.50 19 Nov-19:30 Holland v Scotland 1.25 4.50 11.00 19 Nov-19:30 Wales v Russia 2.25 3.00 3.00 I dont dare to predict but some defensive game is to be seen from teams that got good results. At least two of those games end up in a draw :p .

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest crowie1969

Re: re Holland - Scotland Being serious for a minute (its been a good feeling for the last day or so but time to come back to earth:) ) we are still going to face a hell of a task to go through. Watched the highlights of the game today and didn't realise how many chances the Dutch actually had:( I think this game will be all about the Dutch attitude. If they continue with the same attitude as they approached the first leg ie we only need to turn up to win then they could be in for a nasty surprise as they will be facing a very very determined, and probably now, confident set of players. If they knuckle down, accept they are going to have a game on their hands and apply themselves properly then they could/should still go through. But if anyone can understand/read/know what Dutch set of players will turn up then they are a better man than me:) Indeed the comments coming from Mr Kluivert after the game yesterday that off course the Dutch will still go through makes me wonder about the mentality of these players. He probably thinks that Barca have a god given right to win most Spanish league games as well and thats the reason he is sitting watching them struggle this season. Basically Scotland need the same commitment from the players that they got on Saturday. I think they will get that. Dailly will be a big miss though, a very big miss as he managed to pick up Kluivert playing in the "hole" and didn't really let him out of his sights. He would be doing the same job this Wednesday v whoever was picked in that role for Holland. Who replaces him I don't know:( In summary, even if we go out now I can still say I am very proud of the current Scotland team. We have some decent young players coming through and the future for our country looks better now that it has done for many years. We have proved that on our day, with the right attitude and commitment that we can match the best nations out there. We just need to do it on a more regular basis and against all standards of opposition to move forwards. So if your going for a Dutch win then I can't put you off, lets just hope its 2-1;) ps Apparently Lee Wilkie got stopped at the airport on his way out of the country today. The security guards told him that Rudd Van Nistelrooy needed his own ticket to fly and couldn't expect to go everywhere in Wilkies back pocket:lol

Guest MersonthePerson

Draw's are tough I agree with Heniek about the possibilities of Draws, I think that Holland v Scotland,Wales v Holland,Norway v Spain, Slovenia v Croatia all scream Draw! However I find it is such a hard result to pick, This weekend I was convinced England would draw with DK, and am 30 GBP worse of for it. I am just going to pick the teams with homefield advantage which are favoured by the 'lack of reputation' ,Wales to get a result has to be a great bet, I was tempted by the 2.00 bet you can get with William Hill on Wales qualifiying rather than the Match itself, however no matter how optimistic I am I really dont think that Wales could win a Penalty shoot out against 'the technically superior Russians' (i haet that expression, but it makes sense with Penalties), and a score draw is obviously no good for our Brave Welsh warriors. So Wales to win, has to be my pick of the 5. As much as I love the Spanish team, A sub zero night in Norway, with the chance of going to Portugal next summer, 4/1 for Norway not to win but to go through is better than the win on the night bet, as they have the away goal. Norway and Wales, if you have to pick a draw, Croatia v Serbia 0-0, however Croartia to qualify at 2.0 has to be the best bet there.

Guest SmoothPar

Re: Draw's are tough Norway have to win to have any chance of going through though. Only 2-1 Norway would take the game to extra time. Scotland will be playing a different game on Wednesday. I think, and hope, that the team will be set up to counter attack. I'm looking for some pace up front with the creative McFadden and Fletcher playing on the wings. I think we'll have to score to go through but Holland have all the pressure. Scotland won't win in Holland but we are capable of a 1-1 draw or 2-1 defeat. I'll wait for team news on this one before deciding whether to bet or not. It looks likely that Stam and De Boer will be missing for Holland, whilst Dailly is out for us. I think Spain will score in Norway, but maybe 1-1 is the result they will be after. Weather reports might swing this in favour of Norway but, like Scotland, they seem to be a side who plays much better when the other team is expected to do most of the attacking. Latvia would cause as big a shock as Scotland if they went through. Reports on the first leg suggested that Turkey could not cope with one of the Latvia forwards. Again, should Latvia score, they will be through I think. Like the Scotland game, I think this is either 1-1 or 2-1 to Turkey. Looking at small stakes on all games to end 1-1 and a small treble on Spain, Scotland and Latvia to go through.

Guest MersonthePerson

draws All draws:eek Are you serious? I suppose the odds will be better than the National Lottery, but only just. I used to bet on correct score doubles and triples and fourfolds and the like, but i really believe its a waste of time, save up those small bets and put them on a result, thats where I think the real 'value' is, IMHO of course;) If Scotland can hold out to half time they have a chance, but I cat see Latvia getting anything but a spanking in Turkey, Don't get me wrong I would love them too, but I just cant see it. Wales and Norway thats were my money is going, Scotland v Holland, surely the two most unprdecitable teams ever, can you imagine a penalty shoot out with those guys, that really would be a lottery. As long as I get to see Berti Vogts smiling like a proud new father on TV like he was on on Saturday, I will be happy!

Guest MersonthePerson

Match Odds Ladbrokes Match Odds: Home / Away / Draw Slovenia v Croatia 6/5 2/1 2/1 Norway v Spain 2/1 11/10 11/5 Turkey v Latvia 1/4 9/1 7/2 Holland v Scotland 1/5 10/1 4/1 Wales v Russia 6/5 7/4 9/4 Scotland 10-1, against a team that need to score??? Its happend before that a 'big' team pushing really hard for a result gets caught on the counter, I don't think Scotyland will win but 10-1 !!!!!!

Guest kojic2003

Re: Match Odds

I don't think Scotyland will win but 10-1 !!!!!!
I'll give you 50-1 if you think that Scotland has any chance to beat Holland on their ground! :lol ;)

Guest scotpunt

scotland agree with you crowie - just for info I believe that stam and de boer are out for holland which is very good news - any dutch fans know who replace them at centre halves? - one missing would be bad for them but when 2 ar emissing this is a big game to put 2 untested defenders in surely ? I am hoping and praying for scotland to get through this , which IMO would be our greatest ever acheivement 8o as I really had no hop efor us before saturday even though I agree that berti has us moving in the right direction - although why Maloney hasnt been brought through sooner is a mystery. the beauty of this game is even if the dutch go 2-0 up they will still be very nervous as scotland only need one goal and the dutch are out - I would lov enothing better than to see advocaat getting booted out ironically by scotland !!!!!!!! I cant wait and all thursdays meeting have bene cancelled !!!! the pub awaits

Guest crowie1969

Re: scotland I would actually have preferred De Boer to be fit and available. Apparently he has not been having the best of seasons and his obvious lack of pace is something that Miller, Dickov or McCann could have exploited. Its only natural that whoever comes in will be quicker than him. As for Maloney - well he has talent but I think he needs to be doing more than the odd 15 min appearance for Celtic to justify him being in the squad, and in the current Celtic side he is unlikely to get that. Someone today said Van Der Meyde collapsed when giving a tv interview. Obviously hope that its nothing serious but if he is missing on Wednesday then that would be a plus for us.

Re: scotland also tempted by Holland/Turkey double but would want team news on dutch first. I would hope that Advocaat would start with Robben, Van der Vaart and Bouma for this game as they are all top top drawer players and have far better quality than guys like Overmars and De Boer. If Holland come out with Van Der Mayde on the right, Robben on the left and VDV and RVN down the middle then I dont see any hope for teh scots, time for the dutch to drop the old guard and let the real talent out. On Turkey V Latvia Id be amazed if Turks didnt win, Latvia are only here because they had a lucky draw i playing Sweden last and if Turks play anything to 100% surely they would win comfortably.

Guest kojic2003

Re: Norway Norway - Spain :: I'm thinking about UNDER,but I'm not sure yet.This match isn't so thankful for betting.I must admit that I'm a Spanish fan in these meetings! :) I like their style of play,with great tehnique,many nice moves,...Especially when they play on Valencia's ground.Valencia and Spain knows to make really big preesure when they play on this stadium(I still remember Valencia - Inter)!Anyway,this match between Norway and Spain really smells like a draw,1:1!Spain was really dominant in the 1st leg.Around 30 shots on goal(Norway had only 3-4),many great chances,...I really can't see how Norway can eliminate Spain.They have to attack and when they do it,there will be a lot of space in their defense.And that's the chance for players like Joaquin.Norwegian players can't stop him.But on the other hand,Norway has the quality to show a great performances sometimes.Maybe against Spain?Somehow,I don't believe in that.

Guest peter orchard

Norway From what I'm reading it looks like the Norwegians are going for the same tactic thay used in Valencia on Saturday. i.e. they'll have 11 men behind the ball for 89 minutes and hope for another goal on the counter. I think this will make it very difficult again for the Spaniards who clearly didn't have much idea about breaking the defense down in the first leg and may be advised to watch a few tapes from the NHL to see how those guys execute power plays. Tricky one this but I hope for the good of football we don't have to watch this very ordinary Norwegian team in the finals next year. For what it's worth, I understand Berg and Strand will be missing though I haven't checked that personally.

Re: Norway I think Norway will be looking to score the one goal in the last 10 minutes of the match. That will suit them fine. Seem to remember them doing that against Brazil back in France 98 to get through the group stages. The under bet for this match looks like a very good one. Got a bad feeling about Wales and Scotland unfortunately. Think all the hype regarding the fine 1st leg performances is pointing to the "glorious failure" scenario. Can see something like 1 - 1 Wales v Russia, Russia scoring a late equaliser and 2 - 0 for Holland again the Dutch scoring the second one late. Can't give any pointers on Croatia-Slovenia - very difficult one to call that. Think Turkey will beat Latvia comfortably.

Guest savicpp

Turkey-Latvia There is one interesting tradition for countries who won third place in World Cup in last 40 years and their success in qualifications for next European Championships -Portugal won third place in WC1966 => did not qualify for EC1968 -Poland won third place in WC1974 => did not qualify for EC1976 -Brazil won third place in WC1978 => ... -Poland won third place in WC1982 => did not qualify for EC1984 -France won third place in WC1986 => did not qualify for EC1988 -Italy won third place in WC1990 => did not qualify for EC1992 -Sweden won third place in WC1994 => did not qualify for EC1996 -Croatia won third place in WC1998 => did not qualify for EC2000 -Turkey won third place in WC2002 => ??? qualify for EC2004

Guest steve1966

Holland/Turkey Surely Holland/Turkey are a must. Watched the Dutch lose to the Scots last weekend but it was enough to suggest a home win here. I though Holland looked the better side and did more attacking. The Scots for their part defended brilliantly and here's hoping they do the same again but I just can't really see it. Turkey should be too strong for Latvia. Don't no why, just a gut feeling. With both sides 2/9 with Hills I might add Shrewsbury at 1/1 and make up a decent treble.

Holland De Boer is fit and will probably play from the start, which is a good thing for Scotland :) Van Der Meyde collapsed while giving an interview yesterday but he will also play tomorrow, nothing serious happened the doctors said... To me the obvious thing is ofcourse a dutch win, still I'm going for the X2 here... Can't help it but looking at the dutch tv every evening it seems to me nothing has changed their approach of this game. They keep on telling "ow well it only is Scotland" and "the game won't be that difficult" and such stuff...

Guest Da Hannanah

Re: Euro 2004 play-offs second leg That is one mighty interesting statistic there, savicpp!!! :eek Wht should be kept in mind, though, is that until Euro 96, there were only 8 teams in the EC making it quite hard to qualify for the competition. But still....

Euro 2004 Indeed Crowie, long may it continue :) Otherwise we Belgians are getting the piss the next two years from our northern neighbours >: Go Scotland!!!! BTW for the first time since i follow football(and that is quite long) a belgian channel is going to broadcast live a qualifying match with other teams than our own mighty team in order to let the whole nation laugh with those poor dutchies!!! ;)

Guest crowie1969

Re: Euro 2004 play-offs second leg More "rumblings" from the Dutch camp. Van Der Meyde obviously swallowed some ego pills yesterday. His comments in the press included referring to Naysmith, who did have a hard time against him on Saturday but was carrying a slight groin strain, as stupid, blind, lucky and silly. Just what you want to be reading as a defender going into the 2nd leg of such a game. Naysmith will be through him like a bad curry in the first few minutes I bet. VDM also then went into typical Dutch mode (if that wasn't already) by saying he couldn't be expected to win games on his own and he needed his team mates to get the finger out as well. Funnily enough RVN also came out and said he couldn't be expected to win the game on his own too. Maybe if they all continue to try and win the game on their own then we will get through. Only Kluivert seemed semi complimentary by referring to the Scots as having went the extra metre or two required to get a result and asking why shouldn't Scotland play better in the 2nd leg. Looks like the Dutch are being Dutch and the majority of them are still carrying the "we will win no problems" attitude. Long may it continue.

Guest crowie1969

Re: Euro 2004 Some quotes/comments from the Dutch Ruud van Nistelrooy has expressed doubts about the strength of character of the Netherlands side ahead of Wednesday's Euro 2004 play-off with Scotland.

"But that passion is lacking so much from the Dutch team. In our team we have too many people who are not prepared to go the extra yard - people who want to win at all costs."
Barcelona's Kluivert was quoted saying that he would prefer to be playing him up front without Van Nistelrooy - and went on to claim his team-mates preferred passing to the Manchester United player instead of him. On Monday Kluivert insisted that he had been misquoted but said:
"I agree that the chemistry between me and Ruud was not very good. "But I am pretty confident that I can play with him."
Dutch coach Dick Advocaat has come in for savage criticism in his homeland after the first leg loss and much of that has concentrated on the partnership of Van Nistelrooy and Patrick Kluivert.
"There was nothing wrong with my tactics, it was the players who did not carry out my instructions," Advocaat fumed.

Guest Gordon Gecho

Re: Euro 2004 Jesus! Never met a more implosive team in my life! This is the problem of too many cooks spoiling the broth, a situation I thought would/could develop in the Chelski camp. It all looks good for the Scots. If the Dutch dont score early then the crowd will be on their backs too. 11 man defence for the first 30 mins methinks. I`m not too sure that Wales will make it thru myself. Cant see why the 0-0 draw is such a good thing. Ruskies now only need a goal and Wales will have to score twice, which will play right into their counter-attacking hands. 2.85 or better is worth it IMO