** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

Cricket: England vs India Test Series

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Cricket: England vs India Test Series Yes... no chance of a follow on. The pitch is not that bad, and hence why give the opposition a back door entry. India wants to win this series and go back to praises. No one in india bothers if its 1-0 or 2-0. And in all scenario, it can still be a 2-0.

Re: Cricket: England vs India Test Series Just got back from The Oval and a decent day's play actually thanks to Dravid's decision to enforce the follow on. England batted fairly well in the last hour to get to 50-0 but there was some big turn there for Tendulkar's little offbreaks so Kumble will be licking his lips for tomorrow. I'm contemplating taking India who are now available @ 6/4 in most places. Any thoughts?

Re: Cricket: England vs India Test Series Would i be right in thinking that England in order to draw the series will have to go for it tomm. ??....thus putting themselves in a position where they have to attack and possibly get out . After all a draw is useless to them here right ?, they still lose ?...therefore i'm of the opinion that 2hcb has the right idea and a backing of India right now could be the go? , weather permitting ??...anyone else have thoughts on this ??

Re: Cricket: England vs India Test Series You are right kiwimike, but imo there is no chance of England even contemplating the win. I expect they will simply forget abou tthe context of the series and try to get something to take from this test match. However, that still relies on them batting 90 overs on a 5 day old pitch, which when facing a side with Anil Kumble in is never going to be easy. Another interesting point is that although the draw is as short as 8/15, the mark for England's total runs is 310.5 in some places. Surely if England bat out for the draw they will pass that? 255 runs in 90 overs is only 2.83 runs an over and England managed that whilst playing ultra cautiously this evening.

Re: Cricket: England vs India Test Series If England can somehow worm there way to 350-3 by tea this could get VERY interesting................... Im with Beefy here, whats the point of batting out a draw? Lets get try ourselves to 150-1 by lunch then try and nudge on til tea and who knows what happens......may as well lose 2-0 than 1-0 :|

Re: Cricket: England vs India Test Series I dunno Matt, if we only need 5-6 an over at tea and still have a few wickets in hand then by all means lets have a bash, but I don't think we should play silly shots to give us that remote chance. Imagine we're not 1-0 down, imagine we're 1-0 up in the last test of an ashes series, do our batsmen have what it takes mentally to bat out the last day against the spinners?

Re: Cricket: England vs India Test Series you gotta go for the win - its all or nothing here who wants to get a crappy draw here, it would be worth virtually nothing. theres no difference between 0-1 or 0-2, but just go for it as theres still the remote chance of 1-1. Dont be silly by any means, play sensibly, but certainly not looking for the draw

Re: Cricket: England vs India Test Series Well as I expected England didn't go for the win and we can take something out of this test match having batted well to save it. Thanks mainly to some friendly bowling either side of tea England also got past the 310.5 mark. For the series as a whole, I though I could be on to a sizeable winner with the draw-series draw bet @ 9/2, but it wasn't to be. However that was hedged with the bet on the last test to be a draw. Same story with Vaughan @ 5/1 for top runscorer where luckily my cautious instincts took over and I hedged on KP. Kumble was a bit of a disapointment, i can't have been the only one who'd have expected him to have a much better series than he did (with the ball anyway)! Dravid also underperformed for his standards, twice letting me down on India top bat. All in all a small profit from the series. Bet of the series has to go to Pie Chucker for taking on the 400 spread as India racked up 664!! Shout out to Kev for picking Karthick @ 10/1 above the fab four aswell. See you all for England's tour to Sri Lanka and the Twenty20 world cup!

Re: Cricket: England vs India Test Series Pietersen's century today made it a pretty decent test match for me. +22.3 for the match which means +18.55pts for the series. Slight loss on the outrights despite Karthik top scoring. -3 for the outrights so a series total of +15.55pts. Well done to all in profit for this series :ok