** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

Some advice needed (pretty quick)

wolvesfan

ok so i qualified for paradise pokers "best of british" final (tonight at 7:30) there is ONE first place prize of a best of british poker package (i have no idea of value or where/what it is exactly - if you know please tell me!) so im just looking for some advice on how to play it. as its qualification only (limited to about 100players in final) there will obviously be some good players. i think im pretty good, but not fantastic. now my problem is how to play the final. do i continue with my normal strategy? normally i like to see alot of flops early on, and try to build up a large stack pretty quick, but im thinking this may not work as alot of bad players are in the qualifiers - and not in the final. is it best to be more agressive? as you have to finish first its likely to be an aggressive table. any idea appreciated guys, thanks :hope

Re: Some advice needed (pretty quick)

I would suggest stick to your normal strategy or you could tie yourself in knots trying to second guess what to do. Its 'your strategy' that got you here so why not put faith in your game? :ok
thanks, i dont often play tourneys, usually just the one or two a week. (and one of them is sunday v-point freeroll ;) ) just my cash play is different to my tourney play (obviously)

Re: Some advice needed (pretty quick) Maybe (not that I do this) you could portion so much of your stack in trying to see the flops and hit. If you fail then tighten up and look for that monster to double through someone with. You could also try and stay within touching distance of 'average stack' and change your tack appropriately. Truthfully though mate it's tough to suggest a style at such short notice. If Jaded suggested I play like he does I couldn't bring myself to do it so you need to be confortable with what you finally do. :ok Sorry to sit on the fence but in a way 'no strategy' is better than an unfamiliar one imo.

Re: Some advice needed (pretty quick) Generally speaking in a 1 prize tourney people will have their eye on the prize... essentially at any stage if they feel they are 'behind' they will push on perhaps questionable hands (top pair low kicker etc) or something like AJo... so as a general rule you don't want to be playing the same game as your opponents... the best way to make chips with minimal risk is playing hands that have possible high returns (poket pairs, 45suited etc) limping with theses pre flop and waiting for a big hit... of course this means that u must hit but this is really how I generally play big field tourney's (which I would consider this somewhat in that category)... the idea is low risk high result... while AK is a great hand caution is how I usuallt proceed as any old hand can outflop it... top pair top kicker doesnt do to well against two pair after the flop... I'm not sure if I am explaining myself however I would imagine you get the gist... of course you must alter slightly for each situation... say you double up early... I would call smallish preflop raises with these hands etc... and perhaps be a bit more agressive preflop with AK and perhaps AQ... once your above the general stack you have to divide and conquer the shorter stacks... at all times you must sus out your opponents and pick up any info along the way that may aid you in critical decisions... its a bit of a rant but I hope it helps... if you have any more specific questions I may be able to answer more concisely.... GL either way... ... and to you Morlspin... though I am not sure how much you will need...;)