** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

ICM during the game

aimar21

I'm a beginner to this stuff so consider that I don't know much ;). I've read couple of things around and I believe it's all about maths and putting your opponents on a range of cards taking their image into consideration. I've seen loads of maths to make the calculations, so of course my question is, how do you calculate them so quickly during the game? Or do you not care about the exact EV and make reasonable plays due to your general knowledge, then calculate them later to check if you did correct? (and how do you do that?) ;). cheers..

Re: ICM during the game

I'm a beginner to this stuff so consider that I don't know much ;). I've read couple of things around and I believe it's all about maths and putting your opponents on a range of cards taking their image into consideration. I've seen loads of maths to make the calculations, so of course my question is, how do you calculate them so quickly during the game? Or do you not care about the exact EV and make reasonable plays due to your general knowledge, then calculate them later to check if you did correct? (and how do you do that?) ;). cheers..
yes gut feeling in the game and the maths after - you will soon start to get a feeling for the right play and thats why i post those tricky situations here, for others to look at and comment on, it helps me think through things more and get a different perspective on 'the best play' cheers Damo

Re: ICM during the game I was working with the SNG quiz thing GaF posted on the poker resources topic, and when I do it in the hard level I just can't pass 15 correct answers out of 20. So I won't ask about the exact maths and bore you but just quickly, what are the important factors in a hand which decide the EV to be + or -? What do you look at to make a positive push or call? cheers.

Re: ICM during the game I haven't done the test yet - but 15 out of 20 sounds ok :ok What are the main factors? How desperate am I (how much time have I got? What is my M?) What is my fold equity if I push? The players to act after me, with the range of hands that they will call with, I can know roughly what percentage of the time they will call (if it's low enough, I shove with any 2 cards....) For calling, the cards are more important.....

Re: ICM during the game all random? or did you change some settings? I got the 15 on the random, then I sucked at the calls doing 10 to 13 :lol. My pushes are much better than calls, it would be good if the program explained what is causing the negative EV. :tongue2

Re: ICM during the game I will try to solve a quiz for each situation seperately, I think it will help me understand it better. I will try finding answers for these questions in each situation, maybe you could correct my answers if any of them are wrong. Just what I think before taking the quizes. best position: button for pushes, BB for calls opponent ranges: tight for pushing, loose for calling opponent stack sizes : medium for pushing, small for calling your stack size(M) : for pushing, the more of an M you have, more selective you are. for calling you should be more selective in hands when you are medium