BDO world champs

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: BDO world champs

Ill Fordham pulls out of Lakeside
_42427095_fordham203.jpg Fordham has suffered from health problems
Former world champion Andy Fordham has been forced to withdraw from the Lakeside World Championship at Frimley Green after being taken ill. The 44-year-old Dartford publican suffered breathing difficulties as a result of a chest infection. He was carried out of the venue on a stretcher to an ambulance and taken to hospital where he will stay overnight. The 2004 winner was due to face Australia's Simon Whitlock in the first round on Monday. In November 2004, Fordham suffered an asthma attack during a break in his 'unification' clash with PDC champion Phil Taylor and had to pull out when losing 5-2. Fordham lost four stone in weight after appearing on television programme "Celebrity Fit Club" but the commercial commitments he undertook after his World Championship win affected his form. Whitlock, who beat Fordham 3-0 in the first round last year, will now face either Niels de Ruiter or Brian Woods in the second round but the 37-year-old was more concerned with the welfare of Fordham. "I hope Andy is okay. Olly Croft (of the British Darts Organisation) came up to me half an hour before the match and said Andy wasn't fit to play, that he was having trouble breathing," he said. "I was really looking forward to the match. I've been up since 2.30am and haven't had any sleep since then, just preparing to play. "Obviously I'm a little disappointed that it's off because I've a lot of friends over here supporting me. "But as long as Andy is okay, that's the main thing." BDO spokesman Robert Holmes said of Fordham's condition: "Andy has been stabilised in the ambulance and the ECG reading showed no problems, but he has a severe chest infection. "He has been taken to Frimley Park Hospital, where he will be kept in overnight for them to keep an eye on him." Heehee wouldn't have liked to have carried the stretcher

Re: BDO world champs hi , ive been watching the darts and the quality isnt that great , ive been a little dissapointed . all the so called big names are going out and i reckon albertino essens is a great each way punt at 100-1 with stan james , he played well in the latter stages against anderson (no.2 seed ), scored as well as anyone in the tournament so far and finished ok as well . what dya reckon ? have i wasted me tenner going e/w albertino , hope not ! cmon albertino !

Re: BDO world champs Would you believe that Coral's market ante-post as to who would be 'top Dutch player' had Co Stompe at 16/1, Neils de Ruiter at 16/1 and Albertino Essers at 50/1 (Michael Van Gerwen was the 5/2 ON favourite! :eek). Never say never, ninja as all Albertino Essers has to do is fend off Paul Hanvidge and then one of either Martin Atkins or Phil Nixon in the third quarter and then one of Neil de Ruiter, Simon Whitlock, John Walton and Gary Robson in the semi-final. It isn't impossible although Essers isn't probably the guy you'd want to back with any serious money. ============= Can't help but feel pleased for Hanvidge because of his predicament. Hurts the bloody wallet though. :@ Nice bet Sharpe. Slightly crazy that Neils' was 6/4 to win minus 1.5 sets but he's like 4/7 just to win. Second round matches for Tuesday, best-of-seven-sets (odds from Betfred): 18:10 Ted Hankey 4/9 vs Davy Richardson 13/8 19:00 Martin Adams 1/4 vs Co Stompe 5/2 19:50 Mervyn King 1/3 vs Mike Veitch 2/1 20:40 Tony Eccles 8/11 vs Shaun Greatbatch EVS Very scary unless you're confident. :sad

Re: BDO world champs Can't help but feel pleased for Hanvidge because of his predicament. Hurts the bloody wallet though. :@ Nice bet Sharpe. Slightly crazy that Neils' was 6/4 to win minus 1.5 sets but he's like 4/7 just to win. Yeah the bookies really don't have a clue in this tournament thats why I love it.But it was a scrappy match that really should have gone Woods way if he had hit the doubles.And yeah nice one for Hanvidge he deserved it. Now it's getting tricky i'm looking into a couple of bets today mainly Eccles conceding 1.5 sets to Greatbatch at 5/4 and maybe Veitch + 1.5 at Evens against Merv King(my tip for the top this week mainly cos no ones talked him up this season and no pressure)I'll put a bit of a write up later.But the interesting bet could be now against Whitlock,he ain't played a match yet so will he be under performing in the second round?Also Gary Robson at Even money still! to beat Walton who so far has talked himself out of winning his second round match already.

Re: BDO world champs Right only one i'm confident with is King v Veitch Veitch +1.5 Evens Sporting Odds King is one of the BDO's most consistent players and has been after winning the lakeside for years and will be well up for this match.Veitch his opponent is Scotlands captain and no slouch at the game.This should be a ding dong battle and I fully expect Merv to win but Veitch never knows when he's beaten. Merv should come out nice and fast but Veitch(who can be a worry with his doubles early on but once he's behind he can hit them for fun) and his monotonous throw should be enough to slightly nerve Merv(who again struggles on doubles near the end of the match) and drag this out to a final set enabling this bet to be landed Veitch needs 3 and has the will and the fight to make that number of sets.Veitch might even edge this but I expect 4-3 to Merv and the bet landed.

1 bet for me tonight: Davy Richardson to beat Ted Hankey @ 21/10 (Premierbet) Ted Hankey is never far from losing his head, and he's under alot of pressure to peform this week due to him losing his sponsor (who wanted him to go to the PDC. BTW, the same sponsor also sponsors King, van Gerwen, Klaasen & van der Voort ;) ). Richardson played decent enough in the 1st Round, and will feel pretty confident I'm sure after winning his first game. As long as he stays with Hankey and keeps the pressure on, I think Hankey will blow up.
Just wondering how Richardsons 2 broken ribs might hold up though.He's still on pain killers and might struggle,the first round having been played on Adreneline alone, but Good Luck.

Now it's getting tricky i'm looking into a couple of bets today mainly Eccles conceding 1.5 sets to Greatbatch at 5/4 and maybe Veitch + 1.5 at Evens against Merv King(my tip for the top this week mainly cos no ones talked him up this season and no pressure)I'll put a bit of a write up later.But the interesting bet could be now against Whitlock,he ain't played a match yet so will he be under performing in the second round?Also Gary Robson at Even money still! to beat Walton who so far has talked himself out of winning his second round match already.
Bah don't you just hate it when your more confident on one bet than the other.Should have had more money on Eccles but it covered the loss on Veitch just! Well today really is no better and there ain't really any good prices out there now.I'm having a little dabble but nowt special on Niels to beat Whitlock only cos Whitlock's ain't played yet and last year was beaten in the second round 4-2 by Albertino Essers. 13/5 Sporting Odds Robson ,who I took as soon as he beat Van Gerwen, at Evens has now come in to 20/21 to beat Walton outright.Walton does struggle on his doubles and no amount of him saying every year he's been practising his doubles puts any confidence in me.

I can't see the favourties losing tonight. Both Adams & King should be too good for their opponents.
Yeah they both looked nailed on to win. I think i'll have a little dabble on the scorelines. Adams V Hankey.They met before at this stage in 2005 Adams coming away the 5-3 winner.Both of them averaged round 31 in that match and they way it's going this year it should be just about the same. So Adams 5-3 9/2 Skybet.

Re: BDO world champs Well there's not much out there but a few things are popping up to make the Adams V King match interesting. With Merv being ripped into by the press and other players which Merv will turn up tonight. Looking at 1 bet really. Adams v King Correct score Adams 6-4 Corals 8/1 I think again that it's liable to nearly go all the way with Merv snarling and upping his game when he's behind and with Adams regaining a touch of the nerves,knowing that this title should be his with all the favourites goin, on his doubles then it should get to 4 sets a piece but i think this time Merv will be shattered with all the intense concentration he puts in and Adams should then go on to take it 6-4 but with Merv getting 2 sets then the draw should be landed.

Re: BDO world champs Yeah, I like the handicap too Gaz. 10pts M.Adams -3 Sets to beat P.Nixon 6/5 Stan James There's a gulf in class between these 2 50 year old finalists and that will surely be shown here. Martin Adams is an experienced professional who's been there and done it both in the BDO and the PDC for a short time, Nixon is new on the scene despite being a good county player. That's all he is though, a good county player. Nixon is yet to average anywhere near 90 this week and I refuse to believe that this final will be won with an average less than 90 two years on the trot. Wolfie has been the best player this week by a country mile, he's waited his whole life for this opportunity and I can't see him not taking it. To put it plain and simply, Nixon's not in Adams' league and won't take 4 sets off him tonight.

Re: BDO world champs Not a massive Darts fan but the quality of play in the BDO seems far inferior to the PDC. Poor Nixon couldn't even finish when he needed 4. Your bets are looking good (Gazblades and Kevshat), especially the 7-1 at 10-1. :hope What do you think of the Darts WAG's? Pint in one hand, cig in the other. Real lookers and proper trophy birds to have hanging off your arm. :lol