Rugby League: Super League - Playoffs

Rugby League: Super League - Playoffs  

1. 1.

• Bradford -12pts
    • Salford +12pts

Hi folks, the playoffs have arrived! But before the handicaps this is how the league finished up!

GamesPointsPts

Played

Won

Draw

Loss

For

Against

Difference

St Helens

Hull

Leeds

Bradford

Salford

Warrington

Harlequins

Wigan

Huddersfield

Wakefield

Castleford

Catalan

The top six sides will now contest for a place in the Grand Final (at Old Trafford on October 14th) Here are the handicaps for the first round of games, provided by totesport. (My handicaps in red) Leeds v Warrington +12pts (+14pts) Bradford Bulls v Salford City Reds +12pts (+16pts) St Helens v Hull FC +14pts (+10pts) As always, all thoughts welcome. More to follow :ok

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Rugby League: Super League - Playoffs For those not familar with the Super League play off format, I hope this helps, any questions, please ask :ok : Super League XI play-off schedule (all times BST) GAME A Elimination play-off One: Leeds v Warrington Friday 22 September, 2000 kick-off Winner progresses to Game D; Loser eliminated GAME B Elimination play-off Two: Bradford v Salford Saturday 23 September, 1800 kick-off Winner progresses to Game D; Loser eliminated GAME C Qualifying Semi-Final: St Helens v Hull Friday 29 September, 2000 kick-off Winner through to Grand Final; Loser progress to Game E GAME D Elimination Semi-Final: Winner of Game A v Winner of Game B Saturday 30 September, 1800 kick-off Winner through to Game E; Loser eliminated GAME E Final Eliminator: Loser of Match C v Winner of Match D Friday 6 October, 2000 kick-off Winner through to Grand Final; Loser eliminated GRAND FINAL Saturday 14 October, 1800 kick-off Old Trafford, Manchester (Home advantage in play-offs is determined by final League placing at all times)

Re: Rugby League: Super League - Playoffs

Leeds v Warrington +12pts (+14pts) Bradford Bulls v Salford City Reds +12pts (+16pts) St Helens v Hull FC +14pts (+10pts)
I think Bradford -12pts (at home) vs Salford is the stand out bet. They are seasoned campaigners in the playoffs having reached 5 consecutive Grand Finals. Many tipped Salford to go down this year, but they have answered their critics wrong and pulled off a remarkable feat in making the playoffs, however their inexperience will prove costly at this level and I expect Bradford to motor home to a comfortable victory. Team news pending...... :ok

Re: Rugby League: Super League - Playoffs I agree with your logic, Salford have no experience of the play offs but this could be to their advantage. Overall, Salford looking at the table above, only Saints have conceeded less points over the course of the season. Always hard to call play off games, I'll have to have a ponder :)

I agree with your logic, Salford have no experience of the play offs but this could be to their advantage. Overall, Salford looking at the table above, only Saints have conceeded less points over the course of the season. Always hard to call play off games, I'll have to have a ponder :)
True mate, their defence has basically won them a playoff place, because their attack is no way near top 6 standard. What also concerns me also is Salford's poor away form, although they are strong at home, they struggle on the road, losing their last 6 away matches. You have to go back to something like Round 16 since their last win away (vs Wakefield). Futhermore, I have said it before, they tend to struggle on wide open playing surfaces. Their centralised, man-on-man marking is stretched more on such surfaces (look at the results against Huddersfield for example). I would expect Bradford to pick the holes later in the game against tired Salford legs.... It's all guess work at the moment to be fair.....;)

True mate, their defence has basically won them a playoff place, because their attack is no way near top 6 standard. What also concerns me also is Salford's poor away form, although they are strong at home, they struggle on the road, losing their last 6 away matches. You have to go back to something like Round 16 since their last win away (vs Wakefield). Futhermore, I have said it before, they tend to struggle on wide open playing surfaces. Their centralised, man-on-man marking is stretched more on such surfaces (look at the results against Huddersfield for example). I would expect Bradford to pick the holes later in the game against tired Salford legs.... It's all guess work at the moment to be fair.....;)
Valid points! You know a hell of lot more about Super league than I do. it would be very hard to oppose Bradford though with their record since the play off's were introduced

Re: Rugby League: Super League - Playoffs It's a different Bradford now though isn't it? In previous years they either went into the playoffs in 1st or 2nd or in superb form like last year, this time they are neither and have been really inconsistant haven't they? Playoff matches should really be tight matches given it's supposedly the best 6 in the league against each other so I'm not sure if Bradford will cover double figures. On their day they can blitz most sides but their day hasn't come round too often has it?

Re: Rugby League: Super League - Playoffs What's this about Bradford winning three on the trot, above? I think I read it on the Super League website as well. I'm sure I saw them lose at home to Wakey last week. ;-) Interesting that the mood is to back Bradford (and some nice analysis as well) which has tempered my enthusiasm for the Salford +12. Maybe I'm reading too much into their display at Hull in which they were defensively awesome (although in attack they only scored when Hull were a man down.) Salford ended up as the cover kings of SL XI and +12 is useful. As a post above says, I'll have to have a ponder

Re: Rugby League: Super League - Playoffs Gotta like Hull with a fat start at Saints. Granted they lost the last two but a) both opponents were non-muppet teams b) they were meaningless games c) the reason they were meaningless is that Hull had won 17 of the previous 18 including beating EVERY play off side at least once in that run. Simply awesome form. Cast your minds back to June 8th and you'll recall HUll being +16 and BEATING Saints. Would love them to beat Saints again but that's asking a lot. However, take the fat start and in two Fridays time I'm sure you'll be collecting some winnings. Also bear in Hull lead Saints 4-3 in the last 7 meetings. If Saints have a bogey side then it's us. :-)

Re: Rugby League: Super League - Playoffs I'm pretty certain, in fact I know I'm certain that Bradford got tonked at Wigan before the Wakefield game. This isn't a Bradford side I have any confidence in. I've not had an ounce of confidence in them since Noble left. I agree with you Grim, my early thoughts on the Saints-Hull game is to take Hull with the start. It's very rare against these top sides that they get thrashed.

I'm sure I saw them lose at home to Wakey last week. ;-)
Christ, I must be losing my marbles guys, lol Sorry about that slip up, must have been getting too carried away!! :\ I made one last week when i referred to Stacey Jones playing for Warrington instead of Andrew Johns....:(

Noticed very short odds on St Helens on Betfair and likely to go shorter judging on the money in the Lay column. In a six runner race at those odd I would have thought St Helens (Lay) would be a good bet.
I won't be rushing to lay Saints. I think they will win the playoffs. They are so strong, going forward they are almost unstoppable and Jamie Lyon won't want to go home without a Super League winners medal.

Noticed very short odds on St Helens on Betfair and likely to go shorter judging on the money in the Lay column. In a six runner race at those odd I would have thought St Helens (Lay) would be a good bet.
:welcome to PL mccres01, good to see a new face on the Rugby forums. St Helens have the easiest route to the final because they finished as regular season winners (they have two chances to get to the final (both of which at home)). However Saint havent won it yet, far from it! Leeds, Hull and *cough cough* Bradford pose a real threat and on their day are capable of snatching it. In my opinion, I think Leeds could go close. :ok

Maybe so but neither did Andrew Johns and Hull saw to it that he didn't do so!!
Perhaps not Grim but Johns only played over here for 3 weeks, Lyon has been here 2 seasons now! For me Saints are head and shoulders above the rest. Hopefully we get some good, tense games of rugby.

Re: Rugby League: Super League - Playoffs I'm going to a fans forum tonight at Featherstone to raise cash for one of our players. It's his testimonial season so there have been quite a lot of events. Tonight it is a question and answer session with :drums Ian Millward :lol Anyone with any questions? I know the organiser and Millward is getting a fair whack to appear tonight ;)

Looks a nice tip on Bradford' date=' Rugbylad, following you there, mate :-)[/quote'] Hej Hondje, tak for din besked! Hows tricks, my øl guzzling friend? Hope everything is going well over in Denmark? Have you visited that Ice Hockey bar yet? :loon As for Bradford, please on hold onto your horses! Team news will be important and further thoughts are needed on this one! Seems as though most people on here fancy Salford +12pts (and with good reason), but gut feelings say Bradford. Drop me a line sometime ;) :ok

I'm going to a fans forum tonight at Featherstone to raise cash for one of our players. It's his testimonial season so there have been quite a lot of events. Tonight it is a question and answer session with :drums Ian Millward :lol Anyone with any questions? I know the organiser and Millward is getting a fair whack to appear tonight ;)
How long have you got mate....lol Will he still be doing his tipping on sportinglife? (tell him never to give up his day job) How much did Long and Gleeson wager back in 2004 (vs Bradford) :lol Have a good evening Paul :beer

How long have you got mate....lol Will he still be doing his tipping on sportinglife? (tell him never to give up his day job) How much did Long and Gleeson wager back in 2004 (vs Bradford) :lol Have a good evening Paul :beer
Cheers mate :ok Hopefully get a good insight, if anything interesting comes out I'll post it up on here tomorrow

Re: Rugby League: Super League - Playoffs I really cant call the Bradford handicap. I fancy Bradford to win it but they probably wont romp it. I saw them against Wakefield and they totally lacked ideas in the final third. Wakey were very nervous in that game and gave away an awful lot of territory but the Bulls just couldnt capitalise. There seems a real loss of impetus and desire at Bradford, I fancy maybe it has a lot to do with all the high profile departures. The clubs hardly shown much ambition with the loss of near half last seasons grand final winning team. All the other top clubs have named top quality recruits for next season, at Bradford its been a bit quiet. Salford are hardly in inspired form either. They are dogged though and have looked the part against all the top sides this season. Admittedly most of them have been at home but they have been to Hull and Leeds and lost by a slim margin. They are capable. If I had to make a call it would be Salford +12.