ATP Valencia / Houston 10th-16th April

Valencia: DAVYDENKO Nikolay vs HERNYCH Jan GARCIA LOPEZ, Guilermo vs LOPEZ Feliciano STARACE Potito vs DLOUHY Lukas MARTIN Alberto vs VERDASCO Fernando FERRER David vs Q RAMIREZ-HIDALGO Ruben vs SEPPI Andreas SIMON Giles vs VIK Robin SANGUINETTI Davide vs TURSUNOV Dmitry VOLANDRI Fillippo vs Q ZIB Tomas vs PAVEL Andrey Q vs PHAU Bjorn Q vs FERRERO Juan Carlos ANDREEV Igor vs SAFIN Marat COSTA Albert vs PASHANSKI Boris MAYER Florian vs BURNIOL Guilern SLUITER Raemon vs GAUDIO Gaston Houston: (1)RODDICK, Andy USA vs CAPDEVILLE, Paul CHI MARACH, Oliver AUT vs MARIN, Juan Antonio CRC WASKE, Alexander GER vs VANEK, Jiri CZE HERNANDEZ, Oscar ESP vs (5)HAAS, Tommy GER (4-WC)BAGHDATIS, Marcos CYP vs (WC)WITTEN, Jesse USA SPADEA, Vincent USA vs BERLOCQ, Carlos ARG SCHUETTLER, Rainer GER vs QUALIFIER (WC)FISH, Mardy USA vs (8)MONACO, Juan ARG (7)GOLDSTEIN, Paul USA vs TIPSAREVIC, Janko SCG QUALIFIER vs QUALIFIER SABAU, Razvan ROM vs BEHREND, Tomas GER MONTANES, Albert ESP vs (3)GINEPRI, Robby USA (6)HORNA, Luis PER vs DANIEL, Marcos BRA MELZER, Jurgen AUT vs MINAR, Ivo CZE REYNOLDS, Bobby USA vs VICENTE, Fernando ESP QUALIFIER vs (2)BLAKE, James USA

Re: ATP Valencia / Houston 10th-16th April

SportTennis
EventATP Valencia
SelectionVERDASCO v Martin
Strength10/10
Date10/04/2006
Bookmaker/Price>Betfair @ 1.83 (Back)
ReasoningI've been thinking about this one for ages, and now I've decided to go for it. Martin had a good week on clay earlier this year reaching the final in Costa do Sauipe but apart from that has had some tame losses. He reached the final of a challenger on hard but let's not read anything into that. Verdasco has struggled so far this year but a couple of losses to Roddick in the MAsters events aren't that bad. Now he comes into a tournament he clearly loves, having won here in 2004 and reaching the quarters last year before losing to Costa. Costa was so inspired that day to win in 3, but before that Verdasco had lost 4 games in 2 matches. Back in 04 when he won he beat Ljubicic 6-4 6-4, Ferrer 6-2 6-3 and Ferrero 6-2 6-1. I think this is a great chance for him to get his season going. H2H is 2-0 to Verdasco but both on hard so not too interested in that stat. Books close at 12pm I think but it'll start quite a bit after that.

Tip Detail
SportTennis
EventFish - Monaco
SelectionMonaco
Strength10/10
Date11/04/2006
Bookmaker/PricePinnacle Sports @ 1.47 (Back)
ReasoningMonaco played in Houston last week in exhibition tournament.He won doubles game and he losed in single game final against Hanescu in 3 set match.He knows how to play here and he likes this surface better as Fish is rather hard courts player than clay.Of course this surface is a bit faster than european clay but still it's clay :)
Tip Detail
SportTennis
EventAndreev - Safin
SelectionAndreev
Strength10/10
Date11/04/2006
Bookmaker/PricePinnacle Sports @ 1.84 (Back)
ReasoningI'm on Andreev here.He won this tournament in previous year defeating such great players as Nadal and Ferrer.Safin will probably focuse on next week Monte Carlo as he prefers to play in big tournaments.He played in Davis Cup on fast surface so it will be hard for him to play now on clay.I'm giving Andreev greater chance here

Tip Detail
SportTennis
EventDominguez Lino - Brandi
SelectionDominguez Lino
Strength10/10
Date11/04/2006
Bookmaker/PricePinnacle Sports @ 1.42 (Back)
ReasoningBrandi is awfull this year.She is losing everything she can in first rounds.At Amelia Island she losed 1:6 0:6 to poor Peer.Ok she won here against Arvidsson but yhis don't impress me at all.Dominguez won bogota tournament this year which was played on clay.clay is her favourite surface and I just can't see her losing this one.It should be quick two set match.

Nice start Mr I. Interesting to note that Derek McGovern in todays Mirror has Mardy Fish as his bet of the day to beat Monaco.
I don't know the guy :) Bet of the day was Hernych so....nahhh maybe because Mardy is playing in USA???I can't find any more reasons to back him ;)

Re: ATP Valencia / Houston 10th-16th April I like the play on Andreev:ok

SportTennis
EventATP Valencia
SelectionANDREEV v Safin
Strength10/10
Date11/04/2006
Bookmaker/PriceBetDirect @ 1.90 (Back)
ReasoningI really like Andreev in this situation. He's the defending champion and will surely be pumped up for this. He's impressed me this year with an improvement on hardcourts and I think he'll be able to take that and translate it into an improvement into his clay game which was already very good. Safin had an incredibly tough match against Gasquet on Friday and a mentally pretty tough weekend with Russia in the DC so may not be totally focused on this one. Also Andreev might want to prove after being left out of the latest Davis Cup squad despite some decent performances in the past year.

Tip Detail
SportTennis
EventPashanski - Safin
SelectionPashanski
Strength10/10
Date13/04/2006
Bookmaker/Price>10bet @ 5.00 (Back)
ReasoningI'm still against Safin.I will risk here and bet on Pashanski.Safin likes to make surprises :)And when odds for his opponent are so big I'm sure it's worth a shot.We all know Russian players.This is his first clay tournament and before that he was playing on much faster courts.Pashanski knows how to play on this kind of courts.This is his 6 clay tournament this year so he will for sure be more confident on this surface.At the beginning of the year he won Santiago Challenger and had few more good tournaments.Pashanski has 8-4 record on clay this year which is pretty good.It should be a tight match and I think it's worth a shot.Betting on Safin at those odds would be ridiculous.

Re: ATP Valencia / Houston 10th-16th April Sorry Randall, Can't go with your tip at all. Pashanski is actually 12-4 on clay this year however as always I take these stats with a pinch of salt : 12 wins against Hormazabal, Aguilera, Traver, Ramirez-Hidalgo, Capedaville, Saretta, Di Mauro, Brzezicki, Martin, Behrend, Mello and Minar. Not exactly wins to set the heather on fire. Anyone with a little talent has won comfortable against him (fernando Gonzales 6-4, 6-3 and Filipo Voliandri 6-4, 6-3) Safin, clay or not, is a completely different proposition to any of the above that he's beaten. I agree that the odds on Safin are not worth taking, although I think he'll win comfortably, but afraid I won't bet on a match simply becase his opponent is 4/1! Personally there's nothing I can see worth betting on in Valencia tomorrow however do have a sneaky suspicion that Mayer may take out Gaudio, I'll have a look at that one later. Shedboy

Tip Detail
SportTennis
EventShaughnessy - Kuznetsova
SelectionShaughnessy
Strength10/10
Date12/04/2006
Bookmaker/PriceLadbrokes @ 4.00 (Back)
ReasoningSveta ended previous tournament by retirement.She was in real pain as I was watching that match against Schiavone.I don't know if she had enough time to cure.We have already seen Shaughnessy winning against Henin this season when Belgian was after injury.Meghann is playing at home and it seems that she is in pretty good form now.Last week she made it to the 3rd round of Ameli Island.I'm playing it in Ladbrokes because here match must be only started not completed if one player retires.Odds are way too high in my opinion and I will give it a try.

Sorry Randall, Can't go with your tip at all.
You don't have to :) I'm taking a risk.We've seen what Davydenko did yesterday.But I must say that he probably had injury and Safin seems to be better than him now.It's risky bet as I said.

Tip Detail
SportTennis
EventShaughnessy - Kuznetsova
SelectionShaughnessy
Strength10/10
Date12/04/2006
Bookmaker/PriceLadbrokes @ 4.00 (Back)
ReasoningSveta ended previous tournament by retirement.She was in real pain as I was watching that match against Schiavone.I don't know if she had enough time to cure.We have already seen Shaughnessy winning against Henin this season when Belgian was after injury.Meghann is playing at home and it seems that she is in pretty good form now.Last week she made it to the 3rd round of Ameli Island.I'm playing it in Ladbrokes because here match must be only started not completed if one player retires.Odds are way too high in my opinion and I will give it a try.
First set 6-0 kuznetsova...

Tip Detail
SportTennis
EventMayer - Gaudio
SelectionMayer
Strength10/10
Date13/04/2006
Bookmaker/Price>Bet365 @ 3.25 (Back)
ReasoningStill in search of a surprise :) Gaudio is nothing special this year.He played few clay tournaments this year but he was rather average.He was beaten by such players as Horna, Patience and Ramirez-Hidalgo so just an average players.Here in Valencia he played in 1st round against poor Sluiter and he needed two tie breaks to win 7:6 7:6.this is first clay tournament for Mayer but this is his favourite surface and he knows how to play on it.In 1st round he easilly won against poor Spaniard Burniol-Teixido.This should be a close match.H2H is 1:0 for Mayer who won in 2004 in Estoril 6:3 6:4.
:) It seems that Kuznetsova don't have any injury. :)

SportTennis
EventATP Houston
SelectionMELZER Outright E/W (1/3 1,2) (Each-Way)
Strength2/10
Date16/04/2006
Bookmaker/PriceSkybet @ 21.00 (Back)
ReasoningWell the bottom half of this draw has really fell apart with defeats for Blake, Ginepri and Horna making it look very poor. Of the 8 guys left my choice is Melzer, who got through well after a tough first set against Minar. Melzer has had an awful year so far, but this is a great chance to get going. he has a great record here; in the past 3 years he's reached 1 quarter and 2 semis losing to Roddick twice and Agassi. That's a very solid record and with the lack of quality in the bottom half he's got a great chance. The main problem looks like Vicente, who beat Melzer in the exhibition tournament last week, but he's so in and out, I think a week later Melzer will be in great shape to get revenge. If he makes it there'll be little chance in the final, but still a decent EW shot.

SportTennis
EventATP Valencia
SelectionLAY MAYER v Gaudio (Lay)
Strength10/10
Date13/04/2006
Bookmaker/Price>Betfair @ 3.15 (Lay)
ReasoningI think this is a good price to lay Mayer. Gaudio struggled a little against Sluiter in the first round but that was his first match in Europe and I think he'll be better today. He finished on the clay in South America pretty well and after some 1st round lossed on hard in USA should be able to get some wins together. I'm never sure about Mayer on clay, his 13-13 record in the past 12 months shows a lot of averageness, especially when you compare it to Gaudios 37-9. Mayer won the only meeting, which was on clay, a couple of years ago, but that was as a qualifier, and we know how well they perform. £265 available at 3.15. Very good price to lay at considering the best price to back him is 3.25 at BlueSq and Skybet.

Tip Detail
SportTennis
EventCastano - Bartoli
SelectionCastano
Strength10/10
Date13/04/2006
Bookmaker/PricePinnacle Sports @ 1.76 (Back)
ReasoningI'm on Castano here.She simply looks better for me.She went throught two first rounds very easy winning against Harkleroad and Vaidisova.Clay is her favourite surface.Bartoli won against Peng and Fedak.She had one awesome tournament at the beginning of the season but after that she played rather poor.Last week she losed in 1st round of Amelia Island to Shaughnessy.

SportTennis
EventATP Valencia
SelectionSAFIN v Gaudio
Strength10/10
Date14/04/2006
Bookmaker/PricePinnacle Sports @ 1.77 (Back)
ReasoningI was wrong at the start of the week, Safin is looking really strong. He started poorly against Andreev (3 doubles in the first game) but once he got going he was in control. Then he cruised past Pashanski without any problems and looked focused. Gaudio did well for me against Mayer, but he has the tempament to fall apart, so we can't be sure of Gaudios form. I'll probably always take Safin over Gaudio, just because of there difference in styles. Safin to blast him off the court for me tomorrow. H2H is 2-2 but all were a long time ago so take no notice.

Re: ATP Valencia / Houston 10th-16th April Here is a bet you simply cannot miss: Haas bt Roddick @ 10/11 with Willhill Man Utd bt Sunderland @ 1/10 with Willhill This Willhill double gives you the exact odds of 11/10, what a bargain! Haas should beat Roddick as he is the far surpior player at this time, played on a slow court which should favour Haas'smovement. i don't think I need to mention the 2nd half of the double bet, its just to make the odds into a more round figure.

SportTennis
EventATP Houston
SelectionMONTANES v Goldstein
Strength10/10
Date14/04/2006
Bookmaker/PricePinnacle Sports @ 1.57 (Back)
ReasoningI don't rate Goldstein at all on the clay, and I'd fancy almost any clay courter to take him out. He's never got past this stage in several attempts and has had a very easy draw beating Tipsarevic and Jenkins. Montanes looks to be finding some form, after taking out the name Ginepri backed it up taking care of Behrend very comfortably. Nothing else to say about this one really, the clay court man should win.

SportTennis
EventATP Houston
SelectionHAAS v Roddick
Strength10/10
Date14/04/2006
Bookmaker/PriceExpekt @ 1.87 (Back)
ReasoningYou must favour Haas in this match. He's shown some great form this year especially compared to Roddick who has had some awful losses and just looks mediocre a lot of the time. Both these guys love this tournament with Roddick winning it 3 times and Haas once (starting his comeback a couple of years ago and beating Roddick in the final). Roddick is 25-2 in this event and Haas is 10-2 which are both great records. H2H is 4-4 but Haas has won all 3 meetings on clay. Both have come through so far in straight sets, it should be a good match, but I have to favour Haas.