** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

Rugby League: Super League - Round 5

Well after some good tipping all round last week, I hope we can pick a couple of winners in round 5...here are the early handicaps taken from betdirect. All thoughts welcome!! :D Wigan Warriors (-6) vs Warrington Wolves (+6) Bradford Bulls (-12) vs Hull FC (+12) Les Catalan Dragons (+28) vs Leeds Rhinos (-28) Salford City Reds (-8) vs Wakefield Wildcats (+8) Harlequins RL (-16) vs Castleford Tigers (+16) Huddersfield Giants (+12) vs St Helens (-12) Thoughts to follow :loon

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Rugby League: Super League - Round 5

Les Catalan Dragons (+28) vs Leeds Rhinos (-28)
Seems as though the bookies have learnt their lesson with Les Catalans, -14pts for Bradford last week, was a clear giveaway.... 28pts is very big for a home side in Super League, but Leeds do have the capabilities of covering, more thoughts needed in this on.
Harlequins RL (-16) vs Castleford Tigers (+16)
At first glance, Harelquins seems to stand out. Ok they have yet to record a win at their new home, but surely it will come against the Tigers and by more than 16pts. More to follow on this and the other fixtures later on.

Re: Rugby League: Super League - Round 5 Early thoughts would have to be wolves +6 Leeds -28:eek Quins -16:eek:eek Regarding team news. There's a chance Rooney might be putting in an appearance for Wakefield. We've also got Obst and Catic back, which should be boost too. I'm tempted to take them over Salford with that Handicap.

Regarding team news. There's a chance Rooney might be putting in an appearance for Wakefield. We've also got Obst and Catic back' date=' which should be boost too. I'm tempted to take them over Salford with that Handicap.[/quote'] I know what you mean Paul, this is pretty similar to the Quins vs Wakefield game the other week. Quins had a good result against Bradford and were expected to roll all over Wakefield. Salford had a good result against Wigan last week and are expected to continue their good run against the Wildcats too, but, as you know Rugby isnt as simple as that, so at the moment I am with you, on the Wildcats too. Ps - you must think i am a secret fan :D

Re: Rugby League: Super League - Round 5 Latest injury news: Swann and Parker back for Warrington http://www.sportinglife.com/rugbyleague/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=rleague/06/03/07/RUGBYL_Warrington.html Sykes out for rest of season for Quins (big blow for them) http://www.sportinglife.com/rugbyleague/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=rleague/06/03/07/RUGBYL_Harlequins.html Swain and Dowes out for Hull: http://www.sportinglife.com/rugbyleague/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=rleague/06/03/07/RUGBYL_Hull.html Losing Swain is going to be tough on Hull, makes the Bradford handicap start to look appealing The two players returning for Warrington are leaning me towards the wolves in their game with Wigan too.

Re: Rugby League: Super League - Round 5 Just to warn people from getting on Leeds -28pts early, looks as though they may field a couples on youngers against Les Catalans... http://www.sportinglife.com/rugbyleague/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=rleague/06/03/08/RUGBYL_Leeds.html TANSEY IN LINE FOR RHINOS DEBUT Leeds are set to give a debut to teenager Jordan Tansey against Catalans Dragons on Saturday. The 19-year-old half-back is poised to follow in the footsteps of fellow academy products Danny Williams, Lee Smith and Ashley Gibson after being included in the Rhinos' 20-man squad for the trip to Perpignan. Coach Tony Smith said: "Jordan impressed the coaching staff with his performances in pre-season and he has continued that form in the senior academy so far this season. "He is a very talented young player, with great pace and it will be good to see him test himself at a higher level." The Catalans have named new signing Mick Dobson in their squad after he flew into France from Australia earlier this week. He has been signed as cover for injured scrum-half Stacey Jones.

Re: Rugby League: Super League - Round 5 I think that Saints -12 against the Giants looks good to me. The Giants managed to just beat Wakey, crossing the line 3 times (with the help of a sin binning on one) I think they may have more trouble breaching the Saints defence. I realise that they put more points past the Wolves then Saints did but I feel the wolves were much more prepared and up for it against Saints. Sculthorpe will be back, though Pryce is to have a fitness test on a minor knee strain. TBH I would rather see Jason Hooper at stand off as I don't rate Pryce in that position at all (was out of his league against Briers in his last match), would much rather he was in the threequaters. Prediction Saints by 18-22 Maybe this week :hope :)

Rugby Lad, How big an impact do you think Sykes's injury for Quinns will have? he's out for the rest of the season with Kidney infection.
Hi Dac, good to see you on the Rugby League thread. I personally think Paul Sykes is a big loss for them, although he may be a player that doesnt spring to many people's mind, he plays a important role in the whole Harlequins squad and will leave a big hole behind him. He is probably the most consistent performer in a jekyll and hyde team, although it will dent their top 6 prospects, I do still think it is achivable for the London club. Its not all bad news for the Quins though... Despite Sykes' injury, they shouldnt have much trouble picking up their first home points of the year against the tigers this weekend, which should boost their confidence and put them on a two game winning run. Skipper Mark McLindan is also close to recovery and should add a more attacking edge to the side. Just wish Paul Sykes a speedy recovery! :hope

I think that Saints -12 against the Giants looks good to me. The Giants managed to just beat Wakey, crossing the line 3 times (with the help of a sin binning on one) I think they may have more trouble breaching the Saints defence. I realise that they put more points past the Wolves then Saints did but I feel the wolves were much more prepared and up for it against Saints. Sculthorpe will be back, though Pryce is to have a fitness test on a minor knee strain. TBH I would rather see Jason Hooper at stand off as I don't rate Pryce in that position at all (was out of his league against Briers in his last match), would much rather he was in the threequaters. Prediction Saints by 18-22 Maybe this week :hope :)
Superb points raised here penguin17 :clap and a very strong case indeed! I seem to remember Saints have had the rub of the green against the Giants over the past few season (dont quote me there)....inflicting some heavy defeats on the way. I think the wide pitch will suit Saints as well...I think the Giants have improved overall this year, but surprisingly I have been most concerned with their normally strong defence. Keep them coming mate :ok

Re: Rugby League: Super League - Round 5 Saints -12! I'll be having some of that me thinks. Saints have a very good record against the Giants. Sculthorpe should be back to bolster the Saints side and Leon Pryce has to pass a fitness test for the leaders who've gone 100% since the start and will be looking at facing the Bulls next week still 100%. Saints should win and fairly comfortably for me by 20pts.

Re: Rugby League: Super League - Round 5 Yeah got to agree with backing Bulls giving only 12 to Hull. Hull got off to a supposed good start, but looking back they beat Cas + Wakey who as were starting to find out do ship some points and are not the best teams going forward, they lost to a Wolves team just starting to play as they can (a lot of folk took Hull as a banker) and then also lost to a very resolute Quins team who with Dorn in look a better team already.

Yeah got to agree with backing Bulls giving only 12 to Hull. Hull got off to a supposed good start, but looking back they beat Cas + Wakey who as were starting to find out do ship some points and are not the best teams going forward, they lost to a Wolves team just starting to play as they can (a lot of folk took Hull as a banker) and then also lost to a very resolute Quins team who with Dorn in look a better team already.
:ok - not to mention Richard Swain and prop Ewan Dowes will be missing for Hull!!

Re: Rugby League: Super League - Round 5 Cheers Rugby Lad, I agree with about Quins getting two on the trot but I'm also dissapointed about Cas's start, maybe I was kidding myself but I kind of thought they'd be a little more prepared and I can't see where they are going to get a victory from, the whole town is mad for rugby league and it's going to be hard for them.

Just wish Paul Sykes a speedy recovery!
I hope he gets back before the end of the season.

Cheers Rugby Lad, I agree with about Quins getting two on the trot but I'm also dissapointed about Cas's start, maybe I was kidding myself but I kind of thought they'd be a little more prepared and I can't see where they are going to get a victory from, the whole town is mad for rugby league and it's going to be hard for them. I hope he gets back before the end of the season.
No worries mate, Castleford are going to have a real hard time of it, in my opinion. They may give teams like Salford, Wakefield, Harlequins and Huddersfield a hard time at the jungle but it will be very difficult to see them pick up points on the road. The have a decent pack of forward, average Super League standard, but their back line is woeful!! It seems as though their coach, Terry Matterson was preoccupied with signing forward players he forgot about his back line :lol You a Tigers fan DAC?

Rugby Lad, How big an impact do you think Sykes's injury for Quinns will have? he's out for the rest of the season with Kidney infection.
It's a massive loss for us, not only is he a great attacking threat but he works so tirelessly in defence. We will certainly miss him that is for sure. He's also our goal kicker and contributes a lot to the all round kicking game. Very bad news for the Quins. The good news though is that Leuluai looks like he is on fire at the minute and with Dorn alongside him they can be dynamite. As for covering 16pts against Castleford, we normally leak a few points at home and from what I've heard having not been to any of the home games this season due to them being on a Saturday we are lacking ideas in breaking sides down at home. I'd be disappointed if that happens this weekend but Castleford do put points on themselves and they are a wounded animal and I'm always cautious of going against a wounded animal. Yes we should beat Cas but I'd be very surprised if it turns out to be as clear cut as it sounds. As for top 6 chances, forget it, there's no chance. I didn't think there was a chance before the season begun and I'm sticking by that. We're not consistent enough over 28 matches to make the 6. I'm off to study the weekend's matches and will report back with my bets soon :ok

Any prices + thoughts on the challenge cup this weekend ?
Hi mate, better wait for our lower league rugby league experts Punto83 and Sandbag for these....they should be able to pick up some value this weekend (they know more than the bookies, lol).

You a Tigers fan DAC?
No mate. I kind of support London/Quins as I used to play in the London League but I guess I may have to start supporting the New team out of Bridgend as I'm just up the road. I'm just a huge fan of the sport after taking it up in 1993. My Rugby League claim to fame is playing in the first round of the Silk Cut Challenge in 94 where we played Beverley at their gaff. Bevereley 66 - 0 Cambridge Eagles :lol Good times.

Re: Rugby League: Super League - Round 5 Doesn't look a bad bet at all that mate. They've probably got Workington at only - 16 because they're traditionally bad travellers but if you look at how Thornhill got to the third round they have only had to play average amateur opposition. Looks like a good bet that one. Whitehaven, well they haven't been convincing so far and PIA are going well in France, Just worked out that they've only conceeded on average 18 points a game and they haven't lost since the first game of the season. The only problem here is that it is the Challenge cup and it is French opposition, two of the most unpredictable parts of the game. Looks a good bet though mate, might take Workington myself I think.:ok

Where did you find -26 for Whitehaven? Skybet have moved their handicap to -16 now from what i'm sure was -26 the last time I checked but i'm not to sure.
Bollocks, it was Skybet. I didn't place the bet either so missed out :( :wall Think I'll just look at Workington now

Re: Rugby League: Super League - Round 5 Unlucky on the +26 guys.... Will hills only go Workington -14pts....what strength bets are you thinking of having on this? I have noooooo idea what these Thronhill Trojans are like? Do you think Rochdale will cover the 20pts against Leigh Miner Rangers???

Re: Rugby League: Super League - Round 5 Hills have got PIA at + 12 :lol. Brown stuff in their pants I think. Workington -14, think I'll take that now I think, Just in-case they change it to -30 or something:) Thornhill are a pretty average side I think RL, they are currently situated in the botton half of the their division I believe. Workington by rights should cover this.

Re: Rugby League: Super League - Round 5 Not sure if anyone has seen this before, but it's got me a bit stumped as to whether there's any real value in it. Sportingodds pay e/w 1/4 1,2,3,4 on 1st tryscorer. I realise it's only money back on Vainikolo, but someone like Hape 10/1 or Yeaman 16/1 who are both in good scoring form might be worth a few quid as they could both go over within the first 4 tries. Any thoughts?

Unlucky on the +26 guys.... Will hills only go Workington -14pts....what strength bets are you thinking of having on this? I have noooooo idea what these Thronhill Trojans are like? Do you think Rochdale will cover the 20pts against Leigh Miner Rangers???
Rochdale should cover it mate, the game is taking place at Leigh's Centurians ground so that will work to Rochdale's advantage. Likewise the Thornhill Trojan's game is at Dewsbury's game. I'm no good with working out strengths or bets and points.... cant understand them, I know it's not good practise but I've got a tenner on at Sky and a tenner on Betfair, so nothing massive! I'll do a post tomorrow but some interesting game, Celtic vs a team of Russians, they should put 60-70 past them, so looking forward to the handicaps