How do you play this hand

Blade

Early stages of a MTT, you've been quite lucky last few hands and are now chip leader on the table and the tournament. Blinds are 25/50 Stacks: UTG - 1655.00 EP1 - 5330.00 EP2 - 3325.00 MP1 - 1570.00 MP2 - 1100.00 MP3 - 2425.00 CO - 1255.00 Button - 7565.00 (Hero) SB - 7285.00 BB - 4545.00 Hero: Adiamond.gif Kclub.gifUTG folds, EP1 folds, EP2 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 raises to 200, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button calls, SB folds, BB folds Flop: 8club.gif 8diamond.gif Jclub.gif MP1 checks, MP2 raises all in for 900 MP1 seems fairly tight and not been involved in many pots. MP2 lost most of his stack trying to pull off a bluff against KK but other than that seems reasonably tight. You have them both covered easily with your chips. MP1's limp in then call of the raise is either a small to medium pair or possibly two high over card (AK, AQ, KQ etc)? MP2's raise of 3x the big blind suggests maybe TT+ ? putting these ranges into poker stove gives us the following: equity (%) win (%) tie (%) Hand 1: 07.3881 % 07.32% 00.06% { 77-44 } Hand 2: 74.6750 % 74.60% 00.07% { TT+ } Hand 3: 17.9369 % 17.87% 00.07% { AdKc } so 17% of the time we win, collect a large pot, knock 1-2 players out in the process and further increase our position as chip leader. If we lose, we have 6000+ chips which is still within the top 5 stacks in the tournment (76 players in). What would you do?

Re: How do you play this hand having called PF you have to fold here - you have shite - nice shite but shite :) PF action - I would have raised him (MP2) all in to see all 5 cards and stop others limp drawing after you limp call Just my thoughts Damo :cheers

Early stages of a MTT, you've been quite lucky last few hands and are now chip leader on the table and the tournament. Blinds are 25/50 Stacks: UTG - 1655.00 EP1 - 5330.00 EP2 - 3325.00 MP1 - 1570.00 MP2 - 1100.00 MP3 - 2425.00 CO - 1255.00 Button - 7565.00 SB - 7285.00 BB - 4545.00 Hero: Adiamond.gif Kclub.gif UTG folds, EP1 folds, EP2 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 raises to 200, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button calls, SB folds, BB folds Flop: 8club.gif 8diamond.gif Jclub.gif MP1 checks, MP2 raises all in for 900 MP1 seems fairly tight and not been involved in many pots. MP2 lost most of his stack trying to pull off a bluff against KK but other than that seems reasonably tight. You have them both covered easily with your chips. MP1's limp in then call of the raise is either a small to medium pair or possibly two high over card (AK, AQ, KQ etc)? MP2's raise of 3x the big blind suggests maybe TT+ ? putting these ranges into poker stove gives us the following: equity (%) win (%) tie (%) Hand 1: 07.3881 % 07.32% 00.06% { 77-44 } Hand 2: 74.6750 % 74.60% 00.07% { TT+ } Hand 3: 17.9369 % 17.87% 00.07% { AdKc } so 17% of the time we win, collect a large pot, knock 1-2 players out in the process and further increase our position as chip leader. If we lose, we have 6000+ chips which is still within the top 5 stacks in the tournment (76 players in). What would you do?

Re: How do you play this hand Yes, I suppose a re-raise would have given us an indication of where we stood pre-flop. If MP1 or MP2 re-raise or go all in after your reraise then you're most likely facing AA or KK and are a huge 4-1 underdog. As it stands now post-flop, you're sure you're behind but by just how much. It's only about 1/6 of you stack to call and take a chance.

Re: How do you play this hand i'd have put them all in preflop and taken my chances against AA or KK, neither of which is likely, maybe mid pockets 88 99 or TT might have felt behind after a re-raise all in and you could avoid them. on the flop a feeler bet is probably needed, any raise and you've lost, might as well fold. but if theyre all in preflop if one calls its all 50/50

Re: How do you play this hand I'd be tempted to call, although I think I'd be walking into A8 or AJ, rather than 10 10. The fact that you are in the early stages means you you can take these kinds of chances occasionally, surely? I do think Master and Damo are both right too.

Re: How do you play this hand I think the call pre-flop was fine. I personally wouldn't have raised all-in PF with KA as after all, it's only an Ace-high hand. After the flop the conservative in me would have to fold. No way could I call an all-in bet here with nothing other than high cards in my hand. Interesting to see how some of you would have played it though. I'll post the rest of the hand later.

Re: How do you play this hand Like PocketLady I would have folded after the all-in. OK the guy might have zilch and you are ahead but then you are going in hoping for an A or K to improve your hand against whatever MP2 has and the fact that MP2 raised mid position preflop probably indicates that they might well have a pair or (worst scenario) A8s. The play would even be reasonable so far with MP2 slow playing AA or KK and where does that leave you? Also MP1 might still have something and be playing a sneaky trap. So, save your ammunition for better odds - it hasn't exactly cost you a fortune so far. If MP2 had have gone allin with (say) 400 or so chips then I'd have called as the likelihood that it was a desperation play with something like Ax would be higher and calling becomes a much better ROI bet. IMHO AK is (generally) the most badly played hand in the deck - its certainly the one that has got me into avoidable trouble more than any other!

Re: How do you play this hand

Like PocketLady I would have folded after the all-in. OK the guy might have zilch and you are ahead but then you are going in hoping for an A or K to improve your hand against whatever MP2 has and the fact that MP2 raised mid position preflop probably indicates that they might well have a pair or (worst scenario) A8s. The play would even be reasonable so far with MP2 slow playing AA or KK and where does that leave you? Also MP1 might still have something and be playing a sneaky trap. So, save your ammunition for better odds - it hasn't exactly cost you a fortune so far. IMHO AK is (generally) the most badly played hand in the deck - its certainly the one that has got me into avoidable trouble more than any other!
I agree entirely. Just put it down. There's a whole host of hands you're behind to and a number of potential draws that your opponent could have.

Re: How do you play this hand I think it's clear to fold now. You only have about a one in four chance of making a pair of aces or kings, and even then you may not win. In the early stages of a MTT, I don't think the possibility of knocking players out is worth a lot.

Re: How do you play this hand i like the play pre flop. you are off to a great start and dont need to take on 50/50's. hence the smooth call pre flop. also you have one other player to act. if the chip stacks of m1 and m2 were bigger i might of pushed all in but it looks to me that they are calling so ideal play is to smooth call..you are in great position to watch the hand develop on the flop. on the flop it a straight-forward fold for me. mp2 has shown that he has some sort of hand...he may have a/q or on a total bluff but id be confident i was behind here..also again the mp1 may be trapping both of you and is still to act ...you have ace high and a nice chip stack. someone is putting pressure on your stack ...they have something... fold and put pressure on someone elses stack...get your 200 chips back and forget about it. 7000 chips with blinds at 25/50 is hard to get ...dont throw them away. one last point i would make is the stakes involved..is it a freeroll ...is there 800 runners etc ...do you care much about the game or are you just messing around...there is definitly a good case for going all in. but in general i would play this hand as you played pre flop and in general i would fold to the all in with 1 to act on the flop. gl

Re: How do you play this hand What happened: Stacks: UTG - 1655.00 EP1 - 5330.00 EP2 - 3325.00 MP1 - 1570.00 MP2 - 1100.00 MP3 - 2425.00 CO - 1255.00 Button - 7565.00 (Hero) SB - 7285.00 BB - 4545.00 Hero: Adiamond.gif Kclub.gif UTG folds, EP1 folds, EP2 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 raises to 200, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button calls, SB folds, BB folds Flop: 8club.gif 8diamond.gif Jclub.gif MP1 checks, MP2 raises all in for 900.... .... Hero calls, MP1 calls Turn: Aclub.gif Hero bets 500, MP1 all-in River: 9diamond.gif Showdown: MP1 shows 10spade.gif 10club.gif MP2 shows Qspade.gif Qclub.gif Hero shows Adiamond.gif Kclub.gif Sidepot 2: Hero wins the pot of 940 with two pair, Aces and Eights Mainpot: Hero wins the pot of 3750 with two pair, Aces and Eights

Re: How do you play this hand Knowing what the other players were holding after the flop now puts the winning percentages at: equity (%) win (%) tie (%) Hand 1: 10.5205 % 10.52% 00.00% { TcTs } Hand 2: 63.5659 % 63.57% 00.00% { QcQs } Hand 3: 25.9136 % 25.91% 00.00% { AdKc } So you'd win this roughly 1 in 4 times. To add, this was in the SO $ challenge last night. PL-Lombard was MP1, I was MP2 and hero was Bambino11. He knocked us both out in 1 hand :(

Re: How do you play this hand nice catch - poor play by MP1 though - after you call whats the point in him only calling and not shoving? anyway glad it worked ouy matey :) Damo :cheers

What happened: Stacks: UTG - 1655.00 EP1 - 5330.00 EP2 - 3325.00 MP1 - 1570.00 MP2 - 1100.00 MP3 - 2425.00 CO - 1255.00 Button - 7565.00 (Hero) SB - 7285.00 BB - 4545.00 Hero: Adiamond.gif Kclub.gif UTG folds, EP1 folds, EP2 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 raises to 200, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button calls, SB folds, BB folds Flop: 8club.gif 8diamond.gif Jclub.gif MP1 checks, MP2 raises all in for 900.... .... Hero calls, MP1 calls Turn: Aclub.gif Hero bets 500, MP1 all-in River: 9diamond.gif Showdown: MP1 shows 10spade.gif 10club.gif MP2 shows Qspade.gif Qclub.gif Hero shows Adiamond.gif Kclub.gif Sidepot 2: Hero wins the pot of 940 with two pair, Aces and Eights Mainpot: Hero wins the pot of 3750 with two pair, Aces and Eights

Re: How do you play this hand O I C :( not good, bloody crap call by the button if you ask me - WHAT A MUPPET, HOW COULD HE CALL WITH THAT SHITE, HOW THE FECK ARE YOU SUPPOSED TO PLAY AGAINST THESE MORONS etc etc etc nice move, well played - just got unlucky Damo :cheers

hehe' date=' unfortunately it didn't. I was MP2 :puke[/quote']

Re: How do you play this hand I'd play my hand the same way everytime. Was a bit annoyed to see what he'd called with at the time but then tried to see it from his point of view and came to the conclusion that it maybe wasn't as bad a call as I thought, which is why I posted it here to guage some opinions. I actually thought at the time that Lombardo was going to beat me slow-playing AA or KK after he also called the all-in (not quite sure why he did that).