** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

Quality play and the stakes you pay

danno375

Sorry about all my new threads mods!! But a few little questions have set me thinking. Is the quality of play vastly different depending on the buy ins? if you play a £10 stt is it really that much looser than a $50 stt? If this is so do you have to consider bankroll protection? This means..... is it better to play a $50 stt and hope to win playing good standard or is it better to play 5 $10 stt's and be prepared to hit more bad beats? I am not sure which is right..... sure the looser $10 game should be more profitable but you do get bad players calling rubbish. You don't seem to get the same poor standard and luck in bigger buy ins. So I would say that risk the $50. What does anyone else think? Danno the repetitive strain victim

Re: Quality play and the stakes you pay

Sorry about all my new threads mods!! But a few little questions have set me thinking. Is the quality of play vastly different depending on the buy ins? if you play a £10 stt is it really that much looser than a $50 stt? If this is so do you have to consider bankroll protection? This means..... is it better to play a $50 stt and hope to win playing good standard or is it better to play 5 $10 stt's and be prepared to hit more bad beats? I am not sure which is right..... sure the looser $10 game should be more profitable but you do get bad players calling rubbish. You don't seem to get the same poor standard and luck in bigger buy ins. So I would say that risk the $50. What does anyone else think? Danno the repetitive strain victim
Bad Beats are good!!!!!! If you're getting lots of bad beats, then it means you're getting your money in when ahead and your opponent has made a mistake!!! If you're opponent is making lots of mistakes, and you aren't then you are getting lots of Bad Beats, but you are also making lots of money off of them!!! Sure there are fewer bad beats in more expensive buy ins - because your opponents aren't making as many mistakes - but that is bad, because you will win fewer Big Blinds!! Most profit at low level poker comes not from your own good play, but from the mistakes of your opponents - if you play at a level where your opponents are making fewer mistakes, then you will win fewer BB!!! Is 10xBB of $5 more profitable than 1xBB of $50? No they are the same .... so you need to work out how many fewer BB you win at the higher level (and you WILL win fewer BB at a higher level) to see whether it is more or less profitable overall!!

Re: Quality play and the stakes you pay I generally only play 6paks, and have tried everything from $10 to £60. From what I've seen, there is very little difference in the standard of play... the loose players in the £60 games just have more money to burn. But unfortunately, they do still get the same luck as the cheaper morons. These days I only really play $10 or £10 buy-ins. If you play tight then you can get into the money quite often. But be careful of the bad beat runs... like I've had this morning. Lost with AA to 62, and AK and AQ to something equally as crap.

Re: Quality play and the stakes you pay Danno, it seems as though you have had the opposite experience as me and others, because a while back there was a discussion about being 'intimidated' by the bigger buy-ins (for me at that time was $10+), and whether the standard equated to the stake. My opinion is the same as The Pro's, that it doesn't matter really, you will have good and bad players at most levels. Even at the higher stakes. I think that you see a better standard in the later stages of MTT's as a rule. I'm hovering between the 3, 5 and 10 dollar STT's and doing ok, but the best thing is when I suffer a bad beat I can laugh off losing say £5 tops, as its already profit. I will have a 4-figure bankroll before I go over $20 STT's, and that bankroll with come from other players, not me.;)

Sorry about all my new threads mods!!
Don't be, these are good points, mate.