** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

What could I have done?

danno375

Ok..... I was dealt 33 Person was dealt q 5 and raise 5x bb. Chancing my arm I called and flop came q 3 5 So he is on 2 pair and I have trips. He raises 210 so I rereaise to 510. He calls. The board looks like this. q 3 5 k he checks and I raise another 510. He calls. River..... q board q 3 5 k q I go all in with my full house and obviously he calls. is there anyway i could have played that and not fell over? Just for the record.... another sporting odds miracle river!!!

Re: What could I have done? Outside of folding preflop there was very little you could do (And seeing a raise of that size preflop with only 33 is a big mistake). The only chance you had of getting him out was when the king came, how big were each of your stacks? Judging by his call of the 510 though he was playing that hand to the river regardless, so the only way you were getting out of loosing money is folding, and the earlier the better. All in all (outside of the bad call preflop) I think you just hit one of those unlucky hands where you are destined to loose a big chunk of cash.

Re: What could I have done? Youll need to put down what both of your stack sizes were pre flop and the blinds to give a good answer to your question. Its all about the stack sizes when holding pocket pairs. By the way there is absolutely nothing wrong with calling a good raise preflop with 33 as long as you and your opponent have a lot of chips and are deep, infact its a very good play indeed. Only if you AND your opponent have AT LEAST 10x the raise though. For example if the opponent raised to $10 in a $1/2 game and you both have $200 infront of you, I call there everytime. Its totally different in a tournament for example if your a bit short. For instance if your opponent raised to $50 but you or he only had $400 left its a definite fold for example. Its all, about how deep you are.

Re: What could I have done? the blinds were very small so the preflop raise wasn't that much....and he had been raising with rags all the time. perfectly managable call. sporting odds has dome it three times this morning in three games i called all in withh aa he had qq and hit q on turn then i hit j ack flush on flop and he raises with bottom pair....turn and river give him full house 3 games. 3 bad beats....people on my tables are calling with 4 high! but when i am in hand they get miracles!!!!

Re: What could I have done? Yeah the call preflop looks totally fine to me then. You should have bet A LOT more on the turn though imo. On this occasion probly wouldnt have got rid of him anyway but it saves people drawing out on you in the future. Near pot size bets is what you should be making really.

Re: What could I have done? now tell me i am not imagining this danno375 posts the small blind 50.00 danno375: Ks, As RapidRob: --, -- lion76: --, -- Pre-flop: lion76: Fold danno375: Raise 400.00 RapidRob: Call 400.00 Flop (Board: 3h, 2h, Ad): danno375: Bet 1200.00 RapidRob: All in danno375: Call 2120.00 Showdown: danno375 shows: Ks, As (a pair of Aces) RapidRob shows: 8c, Ac (a pair of Aces) Turn (Board: 3h, 2h, Ad, 8h): River (Board: 3h, 2h, Ad, 8h, Js): RapidRob shows: 8c, Ac (two pair, Aces and Eights)

Re: What could I have done?

Yeah the call preflop looks totally fine to me then. You should have bet A LOT more on the turn though imo. On this occasion probly wouldnt have got rid of him anyway but it saves people drawing out on you in the future. Near pot size bets is what you should be making really.
Edit: I'm a dumbass - wrote a long spiel about +EV then realised the post was about a tournament :D

Re: What could I have done? The problem I have guess is that i have to play to achieve the lay down because despite the odds of a suck out, they happen to me on SO more than they don't. As Valient ( i think ) said on another thread.... it is close yours eyes and pray at the showdown even though you know you have the best hand likely. Current score is 6 games and 5 bad beats. the stats back me up there although i did get my own back with a full house on the river holding trips against a flush but the fool had called preflop with 7 3 hearts. these people shouldn't be calling pre flop raises with 7 3 suited or not. the flop gave him the flush so he will feel that he was bad beat on the river but he should have laid down the hand preflop to a large raise with a pocket pair. I just cannot understand why this keeps happening. I know I love a good whinge but why do these people keep calling me with rubbish hands and why do they hit miracle cards? yet when they call against other players they hit nothing but keep calling and show 4 2 no pairs on the showdown... the whole table comments about how crazy they are to have called with that hand and how bad those players are. Next hand they call the same and then hit trips or two pair on the turnm and river against me witha a pair of bullets etc!

Re: What could I have done? In case anyone's confused :D danno is responding to my post, which I deleted. I was basically saying that the idea should be to take away pot odds not put in shut out bets, because there's more long term +EV in doing that in a cash game, even though it means more suckouts. But that doesn't apply in a tourney - or at least nothing like as much. Can I make a suggestion danno? Not having a go, but if you honestly believe SO is rigged, then stop playing there. But if you don't, don't let the perception that you're unlucky alter your playing style, because if you change up something for no reason other than the expectation of bad luck, you're negatively impacting your equity.

Re: What could I have done? I don't know guess. I like the way the boss media plays and have been playing on everton poker instead of sporting odds. I know the tables are the same exactly so all of my rants are about boss media really. Common sense says that it isn't fixed and i have had this view shoved down my throat more times than i care to remember by valient and gaf! ( all in good spirit ) but these suck outs happen so often and over such a long period of time that i can't be that unlucky. i don't know. as for coolhand gaz....... these things were happening in the $3 stakes short handed and in $10 tourneys. so i moved up to avoid the cheap buy in idiots. $20 and $30 games. short handed ( 5 players ) started well and things seemed to be calmer. then it became exactly the same. moved to $50 and $100 short handed games with the odd lower game. The games today include 2 $50, 1 $100, 2 $30 and a $10. So as you can see that it is relatively high stakes games but they keep happening. There must be a lot of european people with too much cash that they can afford to bet all in $100 game on a 73 off suit! Hope that answers your question!

Re: What could I have done? Weird shit happens man thats poker as they say, if the best hand won all the time most people would give up playing cos the bad players would always lose. Its an extremely volatile game, if you cant deal with the swings you shouldnt play. AK v A8 is hardly a shocking bad beat imo. Yes it can be annoying but blaming it on anything but random luck is just stupid I think

Re: What could I have done? now just a minute muze... you might have a picyure of the scottish god but you need to read things carefully. don't call people stupid for playing with ideas and making suggestions. no one is saying that ak should always beat a 8. but it should win on more occassions than it loses. the stats of my games over the last few months show that the odds are working in the wrong way. bad luck means the unexpected happened..... if that happens on more occassions than it statistically should, then i have earned (and paid for )the right to pose questions about it without being called stupid. if i choose to question the frequency that my stronger, favourite hands are beaten then i don't expect for those queries to be labelled stupid. gaf et al may give me the likelihood in each case and it is fine. don't be abusive to peoples thoughts if you don't mean to offend then that is fine but please think about what you put before you type it danno the annoyed

Re: What could I have done? Danno, I think you were unfortunate to come up against muppetry of the highest order, but..... Various people (not just you!) complain about miracle flops helping these muppets, and I'm not arguing about that either. :loon I do think that what you believe to be a difference of opinion is, for me a different mindset. I have argued with people about poker sites 'fixing', about 'bots', collusion (not the 'Hungarian' type exclusively). This doesn't mean that I am ignorant or naive about any of this, but I think I have a need, for my own enjoyment, to believe that although all of the above may happen, it isn't happening to me - even when it does. This allows me to shrug my shoulders and sign up for the next tourney.