Tennis : Australian Open (16th Jan 2006 - 29th Jan 2006)

• Replies 507
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Tennis : Australian Open (16th Jan 2006 - 29th Jan 2006)

Head to heads show Federer 7-3 in front. Of the grand slams federer has won the last 2 by 3 sets to 1 the most recent being the US open. He also beat Kiefer 3-0 on clay in Paris Kiefer certainly looks like he can take a set in the long matches at least and am i right in thinking Federer is a little more vulnerable than usual? Shoot me down by all means cos ive not seen him hit a ball this tournament; just going on the results.
This has Federer 3-0/Federer 3-1 written all over it IMO. Quite simply, if Federer's up for it, Kiefer wouldn't stand a chance of nicking a set off him - that said, we all know what a twat Federer can be at times especially when you're dabbling on set betting for his matches. Call it lack of focus or just sheer boredom, he does have a knack of dropping his levels every now and then just as he seems to be cruising and obviously Kiefer is one of those who is well capable of punishing him - personally, I'd say the value lies with Federer 3-1 although it'd hardly surprise me if Federer took this in straight sets given the long marathon(the time Kiefer has spent on court just puts Federer's to shame and that could really count against him) matches Kiefer has had coming into this one. Good luck though. :ok

Everyone lost interest then?:lol Might put a little on Mauresmo to ensure a profit from the outright, but undecided at the moment:unsure
Henin will win if she doesn't get injured. so u r worried she might get injured? even injured she has more chances than mauresmo

Henin will win if she doesn't get injured. so u r worried she might get injured? even injured she has more chances than mauresmo
She's already injured she has a dodgy shoulder:\. I'm a little worried Mauresmo will come out and play a blinder and surprise everyone.

Re: Tennis : Australian Open (16th Jan 2006 - 29th Jan 2006) Hmmm. Justine retires with tummy problems (Double Strength Gaviscon was offered but she couldn't continue) as she was losing 6-1 2-0. If I didn't know any better, some of the players in this year's tourney have been nobbled. :eek

Re: Tennis : Australian Open (16th Jan 2006 - 29th Jan 2006) Guess this was just never meant to be my tournament afterall - to think an outright bet I'd been on would fail me right at the final hurdle by means of retirement! :wall :wall Then again, I can't recall the last time someone won a Grand Slam having won 3 of her matches en route to the title through her opponents retiring! :$ Shocking stuff, this!

Guess this was just never meant to be my tournament afterall - to think an outright bet I'd been on would fail me right at the final hurdle by means of retirement! :wall :wall Then again, I can't recall the last time someone won a Grand Slam having won 3 of her matches en route to the title through her opponents retiring! :$ Shocking stuff, this!
I know, this has been one weird tournament and a weird start to the year:wall Justine has been taking anti-inflammatories for the shoulder problem I mentioned and had to double the dose after the semi-final which she had a bad reaction to:puke

I know, this has been one weird tournament and a weird start to the year:wall Justine has been taking anti-inflammatories for the shoulder problem I mentioned and had to double the dose after the semi-final which she had a bad reaction to:puke
You're probably right, although it appeared to be another problem(upset stomach was what Henin-Hardenne described) which afflicted her today. Then again, you've got to worry for the greater good of the game when you've 2 traditional chokers(in the latter stages of Slams anyway) winning their maiden Slams in last year's US Open and this year's Aussie Open. What's to follow next? Dementieva winning Roland Garros? :lol

i mean strong contenders. if we were to name everyone who has a very very slight chance of winning we'd have to name about 30.
I think Coria will be a strong contender. Both Ferrero and Gasquet could well be strong contenders if they can hit form in a couple of months time. Tournament isn't for about 4 months, a lot can change in that time - I thought Puerta was finished this time last year (he finished this year:lol).

I think Coria will be a strong contender. Both Ferrero and Gasquet could well be strong contenders if they can hit form in a couple of months time. Tournament isn't for about 4 months' date=' a lot can change in that time - I thought Puerta was finished this time last year (he finished this year:lol).[/quote'] I agree, dunno about Gasquet though. Coria is bit of a headcase. Anything can happen in 4 months. i mean this time last year we would not have expected Nadal to thrash everyone at the french and win so easily.

Re: Tennis : Australian Open (16th Jan 2006 - 29th Jan 2006) I just hope I'm having a little more luck by the time the French starts:sad Womens Outright HENIN-HARDENNE @ 5.50 Eurobet 2pts :@ LOST loss 2pts W/L = 25/24 Staked = 190pts Profit = -8.37pts Yield = -4.41% Still got 6pts on Federer from the beginning, but a very poor tournament (and start to the year - 3rd consecutive losing tournament(s):$ )

I just hope I'm having a little more luck by the time the French starts:sad Womens Outright HENIN-HARDENNE @ 5.50 Eurobet 2pts :@ LOST loss 2pts W/L = 25/24 Staked = 190pts Profit = -8.37pts Yield = -4.41% Still got 6pts on Federer from the beginning, but a very poor tournament (and start to the year - 3rd consecutive losing tournament(s):$ )
I expected Henin-H to destroy Mauresmo, but mauresmo was just too good today. Tennis isn't as predictable as before.

I think Coria will be a strong contender. Both Ferrero and Gasquet could well be strong contenders if they can hit form in a couple of months time. Tournament isn't for about 4 months' date=' a lot can change in that time - I thought Puerta was finished this time last year (he finished this year:lol).[/quote'] There's something about Coria which tells me his best chance is gone - the 2004 Roland Garros was very much his to lose, really. And sometimes you just feel the psychological factor could play a part in these things. It's a bit like Henman at Wimbledon - not that I'm saying he'd have won that year, but I certainly don't think he had another real pop at the tourny since 2001(or was it 2000?) when he lost in the SF...

Re: Tennis : Australian Open (16th Jan 2006 - 29th Jan 2006) The guys on ESPN2 were absolutely ravaging Henin-Hardenne last night. One of them stated that he'd "rather have seen her vomit on the court than walk off with 4 games left to play". Slightly OTT but I could kinda see his point; it was Mauresmo's first slam and how can you celebrate it properly when you suddenly think "oh - I won?". They cited quite a few examples of players playing through the pain when their opponent's got a big victory lined up (e.g. Nieminen against Agassi) and I doubt that Henin-Hardenne was in *such* pain that she couldn't have 'played' out the last set and lost 6-0.

The guys on ESPN2 were absolutely ravaging Henin-Hardenne last night. One of them stated that he'd "rather have seen her vomit on the court than walk off with 4 games left to play". Slightly OTT but I could kinda see his point; it was Mauresmo's first slam and how can you celebrate it properly when you suddenly think "oh - I won?". They cited quite a few examples of players playing through the pain when their opponent's got a big victory lined up (e.g. Nieminen against Agassi) and I doubt that Henin-Hardenne was in *such* pain that she couldn't have 'played' out the last set and lost 6-0.
Totally agree, I don't hate Henin but I've never liked her much before. She is totally classless. She was just being outplayed so she quit. OR she must have thought she would quit so her fans who bet on her can save money and get refunds on their bet.

Reference Paris. I'd never back Federer to win there with any confidence' date=' I'd be happy to lay him at the outset and feel confident about it.[/quote'] Instead of laying him, you might as well just back Nadal. Federer's weakest surface is clay but still there is only one player better than Federer on that surface. Only Nadal is better.

Instead of laying him' date=' you might as well just back Nadal. Federer's weakest surface is clay but still there is only one player better than Federer on that surface. Only Nadal is better.[/quote'] I did last year at huge odds early in the season after his success on the clay in South America and creamed in big time!:tongue2