** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

World footballer of the year

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: World footballer of the year

Has never been a reliable pointer for the FIFA Award - wait for the Golden Ball at the end of this month' date=' that might be a real pointer :ok[/quote'] A few Italian newspapers have already reported the winner as the votes were cast this week. 1. Buffon 2. Cannavaro 3. Henry The real pointer is the odds. Cannavaro will win it.

Cannavaro wins Euro player award
_42364278_cannavaro_ap_270.jpg Cannavaro has enjoyed a memorable year
Italy captain Fabio Cannavaro has been named European Footballer of the Year by France Football magazine. The 33-year-old Real Madrid defender, who captained Italy to victory at the World Cup in Germany, becomes one of the few defenders to win the prize. Cannavaro won the honour with 173 points, ahead of Juventus keeper Gianluigi Buffon (124) of Italy and Arsenal striker Thierry Henry (121). The Ballon d'Or award is based on a vote by European football journalists. France midfielder Zinedine Zidane, who retired after reaching the World Cup finals, was placed fifth with 71 points. Last year's European Footballer award went to Barcelona's Brazil playmaker Ronaldinho, who finished fourth this time around.
o.gif It has a double importance because it's given to the greatest players and as a defender it's rare to have this honour Fabio Cannavaro
Cannavaro is the fifth Italian to win the award after Omar Sivori (1961), Gianni Rivera (1969), Paolo Rossi (1982) and Roberto Baggio (1993). He also revealed that the award had extra significance as he became the first defender to win since Germany's Mathias Sammer in 1996.
o.gif2006 BALLON D'OR RESULTS 1. Fabio Cannavaro (Real) 2. Gianluigi Buffon (Juventus) 3. Thierry Henry (Arsenal) 4. Ronaldinho (Barcelona) 5. Zinedine Zidane (retired)
"It has a double importance because it's given to the greatest players and as a defender it's rare to have this honour," said the delighted Neapolitan. "The World Cup in Germany was perfect for a defender. I remember in particular the semi-final against Germany." Capped 105 times for his country, the Real Madrid defender was one of seven nominated players from the Italian team that captured its fourth World Cup title. In domestic football, Cannavaro clinched victory in Serie A with Juventus over the last two seasons before his previous club side were stripped of those titles and demoted to the second division after being found guilty of match fixing. "I want to thank Real president Raman Calderon and my team-mates from Juve and the national team who had an important part to play in my winning this award," Cannavaro added. "Many people analysed my season with Juve in 2005 for this vote. In that season I played 37 matches and scored four crucial goals."
Looking more likely by the second that we're going to collect on this. :ok

Re: World footballer of the year I would blow my own trumpet in nailing the shortlist of three but I'm generally not an after-eventer...for one thing it's not as though I was able to place any money on Cannavaro, Ronaldinho and Zidane being the three up for contention! I didn't make any fooking money from it! :lol :\ http://www.sportinglife.com/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=soccer/06/11/29/SOCCER_Awards.html Cannavaro should win this fairly handily but y'never know.

if you think thats a fair price' date=' he is currently trading at 1.75 on betfair :ok Not much liquidity though.....[/quote'] If you call a tenner liquidity heh - well am not going to bother anyways had a lot on him already and waiting for next monday to cash in :hope

Re: World footballer of the year My guess is its based on Ronnie recent performances - but the voting had been closed way before - can only imagine mug punters backing him.

I am a touch concerned at the betfair prices Ronnie 1.26 Cannavaro 2.04 Zidane 7.6 Only £1000 traded though so not sure how reliable these prices are. Its making me nervous nonetheless :(

Re: World footballer of the year Can't believe it- Spanish Newspaper today announced that he's going to collect it - haven't been wrong on that for the past few years i'm afraid - have hedged my stake but still am gutted - will b interesting to see the margin in the end.:$

Re: World footballer of the year I'd rather say they swung against Cannavaro and Zidane - if you look at the uproar caused by Canna's Golden Ball win one can imagine there's certainly a few countries not willing to vote for an Italian - e.g. Spain, France..:sad

Very surprised but it's the national coaches voting who swung it for Ronaldinho if that's the case.

Re: World footballer of the year Guess what It all looks like a big stunt - marca yesterday reported Cannavaro clearly won the FIFA award over Zidane and Ronaldinho only in 3rd place. Betfair market swung back and Canna's being matched at 1.01 - looks like someone manipulated the market to earn some bucks or the FIFA did it by purpose to find out who leaks the information. Madrid - Italy's World Cup-winning captain Fabio Cannavaro is set to be named the Fifa World Player of the Year, reported Spanish radio station Cadena SER on Sunday. Cadena SER even went so far as to publish details of the poll, ahead of the award ceremony in the Swiss city of Zurich on Monday, with the Real Madrid defender getting 498 votes. The radio station did not reveal their source of the voting details although they have strong links with the Spanish giants and have been ahead of their opposition with big stories concerning Real.

It's not difficult to understand that he should receive this award
Normally the Fifa World Player of the Year voting is only revealed to the media an hour or so before the televised announcement, and then only on a strictly embargoed basis.

The award is decided by voting from the coaches and captains of Fifa's member nations. - Sapa-AFP

According to Cadena SER, France's retired three-time winner Zinedine Zidane, who finished his career in controversy by getting sent off in the World Cup final, is second this time with 454 votes. Zidane also spent the past five years of his club career at Real Madrid. Brazil and Barcelona's 2004 and 2005 winner Ronaldinho is third with 380 votes. Real Madrid coach Fabio Capello said after his team's 1-0 win at Espanyol that he believed Cannavaro would be a worthy winner. "It's not difficult to understand that he should receive this award because the World Cup is the World Cup and there he was the major player in the world," said Capello. If Cannavaro was to win it will more than make up for him being sent off on Sunday for the first time since he accompanied Capello and joined Real Madrid from Juventus in the summer. "It was an unfair sending off because the ball hit him in the face and didn't touch his hand, like the referee thought," added Capello. The Cadena SER report refutes the widely-held opinion that Ronaldinho would lift the award for the third successive year. Cannavaro recently won the European Footballer of the Year Award (Ballon d'Or), which is awarded by France Football magazine. However if Ronaldinho, the Ballon d'Or winner last year, was to win he would become the first player to win Fifa's award three years in a row. Zidane and Brazilian striker Ronaldo have also won the Fifa accolade three times but no one has won it three years in succession.