Racing Chat - Friday 31st May

Epsom 2.00
The first race of seven races on day one of the Derby meeting is the 6F Woodcote Stakes for two year olds. There will definitely be some ease in the ground, it’s just a case of how much. The two that catch my eye are Ralph Beckett’s Megalithic who was very well backed on his racecourse debut at Salisbury a fortnight ago when finishing third in a race that looked strong for the course. His trainer spoke positively about him the following day when discussing his best juveniles and he should run well with the only negative being his draw of nine of 10. Richard Hannon’s New Charter is related to the super mare Time Charter from some way back and ran a race full of promise on her debut when chasing home the smart Godolphin filly Mountain Breeze under Hollie Doyle. Sean Levey takes over now and from a better draw than Megalithic in stall 3 is the selection.

NEW CHARTER 1 point win @ 9/4 bet365

Epsom 2.35
A decent sized field of sixteen have declared for this class 2 1m 113 yard handicap. The race has an open look about it with the likes of Koy Koy, who was a tad unlucky last time when getting into a bumping match inside the final furlong, last year’s runner up Dutch Decoy who was very disappointing at York last time and Fantastic Fox who was 8th last time in the 7F Victoria Cup and will appreciate stepping up in trip here, all holding claims. David O’Meara saddles a trio of horses all with chances with Jason Watson’s mount Bopedro the one that takes my eye. He goes on any ground and has fallen to what appears to be a winning mark. A further one pound drop for an excellent third at York to Port Lynas last time out is welcome and he looks good each way value in a competitive handicap.

BOPEDRO 1 point each way @ 16/1 bet365 1/5th 12345

Epsom 3.10
The 1M 4F Group 1 Coronation Cup has only attracted a disappointing field of five for this £445,000 guaranteed contest. Officially the best in here is last year’s winner trained by John & Thady Gosden in the shape of Emily Upjohn. She can take a keen hold though and will wear a hood. She may well win but she has disappointing in the past so to my eyes is worth opposing. Aidan O’Brien’s Luxembourg is next in the betting but is unproven at this trip and it may be worth looking for an upset. French trainer Pascal Bary brings over his four year old colt Feed The Flame and he looks the best value bet in the contest. Sixth in last year’s Arc De Triomphe he stepped up from his re-appearance run to finish third (beaten 1/2L) in the Prix Ganay at Longchamp in April. Christian Demuro, his regular rider is over to ride and should give us a good run for our money. William Haggas’s mud lover Hamish is also not out of it especially if the rain continues to fall and is worth a small stakes saver.

FEED THE FLAME 1 point win @ 9/2 bet365
HAMISH 1/2 point win @ 11/1 888Sport

Epsom 3.45
Fourteen go to post for this class 2 1M 2F handicap. As long as theres plenty of cut in the ground the one to beat is the Karl Burke trained Bolster who looked a horse going places when winning at Pontefract on his re-appearance on soft ground under Pierre-Louis Jamin back in April. He’s missed two gigs since due to the drying ground so the more rain the better for this Sheikh Obaid owned four year old who’s won three of his 5 races in total. In the same ownership, it will be no shock to see Bolster’s stable mate Liberty Lane run a big race despite a 5lb rise for his Newmarket win 27 days ago. He too will love any more rain.

BOLSTER 1 point each way @ 5/1 bet365 1/5th 1234

Epsom 4.30
A dozen three year old fillies have declared for this year’s renewal of the Betfred Oaks. The warm favourite and the clear form horse is the Aidan O’Brien trained Ylang Ylang, a group one winner on soft ground as a juvenile who ran an eye catching seasonal start when fifth (beaten just a length) in the 1000 Guinness at Newmarket. That form has already been franked by the subsequent Irish and German 1000 Guineas victories of the 8th and 14th. She is stepping up to 1M 4F from a mile and although I’ve no doubt she’ll stay 10F there is a small doubt about 1M 4F. She’ll still be hard to beat mind and is the selection. Official ratings have her 6lb and more in hand of her rivals with the Dermot Weld trained Ezeliya a possible danger having looked good on her re-appearance when winning the Group 3 Salsabil Stakes at Navan over 1M 2F. The runner up and fifth have both been turned over since though in the Irish 1000 Guineas. Ralph Beckett has a strong prescience in the race with four runners all of whom have place claims. The best of the quartet may be Forest Fairy who is unbeaten in her two starts including the Cheshire Oaks last time out and if handling easier ground can run a big race. If the favourite stays I think she wins.

YLANG YLANG 1 point win 9/4 William Hill

Epsom 5.10
The 7F Aston Martin Surrey Stakes is a listed contest and has attracted a field of seven. There has to be doubts about Stuart Williams’s Pandora’s Gift who has yet to run on the turf and at today’s trip. Ralph Beckett has the favourite in Zoum Zoum who was runner up in the Greenham on his seasonal re-appearance but has to shoulder a 3lb penalty today as well as the form of the Greenham not really working out. I’m happy to take the pair of them on. Archie Watson has taken over the training of the former Andre Fabre Evade and is an interesting runner. He won first time out last season prior to keeping good company in group races and a recent entry in the Group 1 Commonwealth Cup looks positive. The Qatar Racing Limited owned three year old will be ridden by Oisin Murphy and looks value, especially with those firms (Hills, Betfred, bet365 & 888 sport) who are paying three places.

EVADE 1 point each way @ 15/2 William Hill 1/5th 123

Epsom 5.40
Day one of Oaks day is completed by a twelve runner 7F class 2 handicap. Last year’s 1-2-3 are all back to renew rivalry with the winner Spanish Star, runner up Darkness and third Marlay Park only separated by two lengths last year. The value bet may well be the latter who has a great record here of four wins from 14 starts and has had a wind operation since last seen. If that has helped local trainer Jim Boyle’s six year old then she may be able to out run her odds from a good draw in stall 5. Richard Hannon’s Dark Thirty is drawn alongside and brings in some decent recent form and should run well but at the prices I’ll chance the local runner Marlay Park.

MARLAY PARK 1 point each way @ 14/1 bet35 1/5th 1234

235 epsom 

Koy koy  8.7 11/2

Bopedro. 8.5 16/1

Blue for you.  8.3 12/1

Notre belle bete 8.0

Conditions have come right for koy koy and with w Buick up he should improve in what he's shown lately .....bopedro beat blue for you last time and I can't see any reason for a reverse so bopedro looks excellent value with 5 places on offer 

Let's have a shot at a big win 

10pt wins top two 

Forecasts top 3 .....

Posted (edited)

Fantastic Fox                                                      2 35 Eps/               1/40th of a pt ew   18/1        -  5th

Holder                                                                 5 40 Eps/               1/40th of a pt ew   16/1

Dance Sequence                                               4 30 Eps/               1/40th of a pt ew   22/1          -2nd

Earls                                                                    5 40 Eps/               1/40th of a pt ew   20/1

Blue For You                                                      2 35 Eps/               1/40th of a pt ew   22/1

Mysterious Love                                               3 45 Eps/               1/40th of a pt ew    38/1

Edited by black rabbit

What a day of racing we have, can't wait to watch the Oaks 💥

Today's selections for me...

1630 Epsom Oaks Ylang Ylang 15/8 (with a price boost) 2pt win 

&

Ezeliya 11/2 1pt e/w 4 places

Happy to take both at the prices. My Ylang Ylang bet is a free £20 bet with Unibet so I'm happy to back that to win with an e/w saver on Ezeliya who I just can't see being out of the top 4. Whatever happens it should be a fantastic race but if Ylang Ylang turns up, it should simply be too good. 

My only other bet of the day comes at Donny...

2015 Doncaster Sir Galahad 4/1 2pt win

Really liked how SG shaped LTO and feel there is much more to come. Surprised at the 4/1 available, would have SG much shorter so happy to have a 2pt win. 

6pts staked in total (4pts from the betting bank + 2pt free bet).

That'll be it for me today unless I get any info which of course is possible. 

Good luck everyone 🐎💥

6 hours ago, Hotspur88 said:

&

Happy to take both at the prices. My Ylang Ylang bet is a free £20 bet with Unibet so I'm happy to back that to win with an e/w saver on Ezeliya who I just can't see being out of the top 4. Whatever happens it should be a fantastic race but if Ylang Ylang turns up, it should simply be too good. 

Really liked how SG shaped LTO and feel there is much more to come. Surprised at the 4/1 available, would have SG much shorter so happy to have a 2pt win. 

Good luck everyone 🐎💥

Ezeliya 13/2 💥💥💥💥

10 hours ago, Hotspur88 said:

&

Good luck everyone 🐎💥

Start of day racing P/L was +4.25pts

Today 6pts staked from the betting bank.

Ezeliya wins 💥 @ 13/2 to return 9.8pts

Indelible wins 💥 @ 9/1 to return 12.8pts 

22.6pts returned in total

Overall P/L for the day = +16.6pts

Running P/L = +20.85pts