Naps June 2022

I don't know if anyone has noticed but looking at the nap of the day table there is 22 out of 84 players in profit as of 29th June that could be the lowest figure ever? 

Personally I have been backing horses seriously for 6 years and this is easily my worse month, 67 bets, 8 winners and 20 second places!

Is it a freak month? are ground conditions to blame? I am staying optimistic  if the law of averages are right it could be a very good summer to back the horses.  

Anyway well done to the guys at the top of the table and good luck on the last day.

These are strange times @Johnrobertson.

Ever since covid, and the big bookmakers taking control of the markets rather than returning s.p.'s from the on course layers, has brought about a complete sea change in the way the markets work IMO.

If you fancied a selection, you could check the markets to see if it was contracting or drifting, nowadays it is a pointless exercise, with far more drifters winning and ultra late (last minute or 2) shortening of prices. The exceptions are the ones who are going for a monster gamble and the bookmakers IMO then shorten the 'live one'... but also shorten a couple of others that are fancied in the papers so as to muddy the waters. This has led to trainers (and owners) having to operate differently themselves in order to get a decent bet at a decent price to pay the bills. 

You are not alone in having a poor month, I have had to do some brain fogging examination of my bets and look for the mindset and workings of the major bookmakers. I know some in the business (odds compilers) and they are a lot more cagey these days. It's never been easy but has been difficult for a while (although not impossible). Anyway, that's my two pennies worth, good luck with your punting.

1 hour ago, Johnrobertson said:

I don't know if anyone has noticed but looking at the nap of the day table there is 22 out of 84 players in profit as of 29th June that could be the lowest figure ever? 

Personally I have been backing horses seriously for 6 years and this is easily my worse month, 67 bets, 8 winners and 20 second places!

Is it a freak month? are ground conditions to blame? I am staying optimistic  if the law of averages are right it could be a very good summer to back the horses.  

Anyway well done to the guys at the top of the table and good luck on the last day.

i struggled april, early may with the change over from aw to turf on flats. june has been fine for me. turf horses not yet raced so duno form april may always hard

Edited by Wildgarden

3 hours ago, Johnrobertson said:

Totally with you i have been murdered this month and last, cant understand it i have been at it 30+ years never had a bad run like it or anywhere near it. i have had to cut right back on all my bets. i keep records and trying to analyse what where and when as we speak.

On 6/30/2022 at 11:07 AM, Johnrobertson said:

I have had a poor flat season so far with my own selections, the level losses so high that I have decided to call it a day for this flat season. Fortunately I have only been backing to small stakes so not too much damage done.

I am working on a few other strategies so hopefully these will be up and running in a few weeks time.

I have also been backing @The Accountant's selections and these have been very poor in June, again only to small stakes.

My selections based on the BET365 4/1 offers have also been very poor.

I have had a fair bit of success betting on the SKY extra place races.

I just about scraped a profit for the month, the deciding factor being @LEE-GRAYS50/1 winner in the £20 daily challenge thread.