Hunter Chase - 3.20 Wincanton

Darran

I will stick a review up for Warwick on the Road to Cheltenham thread at some point, but although money was lost today on Highway Jewel she has run a hell of a race to become what I think is the number 1 Cheltenham British title contender as things stand. 

Onto Wincanton on Thursday and the obvious place to start is the favourite Sametegal. Clearly he hasn't won for 5 years, which would normally be a concern, but I think he has mainly been a victim of his own consistency as he has been running well. A year ago he was 3rd in the old Racing Post Chase at Kempton and then this season he has been 3rd twice, 6th in the Grand Sefton and then 4th in the Veterans' Final a month ago. His last 6 runs he has either run off 141 or 142 which sums it up. The ground wont be an issue, but you he wouldn't be the strongest stayer over this trip and you have to think that qualifying for Aintree would be his target and not Cheltenham. There isn't much depth to this so he can win for sure, but with the stamina concern even money is tight enough.

Porlock Bay was hugely impressive when winning on his British debut at Kimble 3 months ago. He had shown good form in France, but had been off the track since June 2019 prior to that Kimble run. He won on the bridle and fully deserved the word impressive being included in the form comment. I suspect he was probably heading for Hereford on Monday and a race over 2m5f and if he had turned up there I would have been all over him, but we just don't know if he will stay. The Kimble race was over 2m4f and that is the furthest he has ever gone in a race. He clearly wasn't stopping at Kimble and he looked a class horse and so it will be interesting to see if he can stay. His pointing rating is 133 after that race and Highway Jewel's was 131 prior to yesterday.

Captain Cattistock has a high rating in the pointing formbook as well although I am not sure he quite deserves a mark of 129 on what he did in two hunter chases last season when with Nicholls and owned by Maxwell. Taunton was too tight form him in the 1st of them and then he unseated at Doncaster when the result was still in some doubt. Granted the horse who went on to win that race did follow up in the last hunter chase of last season though. What we do know is he is certain to stay and he has gone to Fergal O'Brien which is hardly a bad thing.

Outside those 3 there isn't a huge amount to say about the rest of the runners. Coningsby made a good start to his pointing career when 2nd at Larkhill and he should enjoy this sort of test. It is hard to see him winning this though, but he has outside claims of a place. Deans Road goes for the same team who won at Warwick so has to be respected, but his 4 wins for Henry De Bromhead in Ireland were at around 2m4f and at the age of 12 he looks an unlikely winner.

There is 1 more horse worth talking about and I actually think is worth backing. Captain McGinley was put in at 100/1 with Bet365 and that was cut to 25/1 during the evening. The eye-catching run is the 2nd to Latenightpass in the Intermediate Final at Cheltenham in May 2019. Now Latenightpass idled badly that night which allowed him back into the race having looked beaten (a bit like what happened at Warwick), but clearly the trip won't be an issue. He has only been seen once since then and that was when he pulled up at in a point at Ffos Las in December the same year. Clearly something was wrong that day to not be see since. His rules form was pretty poor when he last ran under rules, but for an 11yo he hasn't had much racing and clearly he is a better horse now. Crucially Bradley Gibbs' horses (he trains Highway Jewel) have been very good so far this season and have looked to be very fit.

Porlock Bay looked so impressive at Kimble that I have to back him at 9/4 as if he stays I think he will win. I am also adding Captain McGinley at a big price because we know he will stay, will handle the ground, the yards horses have been flying so far this season and the Cheltenham form obviously looks strong.

Porlock Bay 1.5pts @ 5/2 with Bet365

Captin McGinley 0.5pts e/w @ 18/1 with Bet365 & 16/1 with Betfair to 4 places.

35 minutes ago, paceman said:

What point to point ratings,do you use these days? I always used Hunterchase ratings,but,not have been the last couple of years havent bothered.Your preferred choice? ( might purchase again!)

I use the ratings from point-to-point formbook (loose-leaf) which you can get from the official pointing website. Bob And Co was actually the highest rated horse last seen on 148 with It Came To Pass on 146.