Racing Chat - Sunday 31st January

The last at Naas is the main Irish prep race for the Foxhunter at Cheltenham and although It Came To Pass is now a non-runner we have all the other leading candidates for Cheltenham in the contest.

Billaway is into odds on this morning and although he is the right favourite I am not sure he should be as short as that. He won this contest last year on his way to finishing 2nd at Cheltenham, but this race was run in a crawl last year on better ground than he will face today. The winning time was 1m12s slower than the standard time which highlights how slow they went. This will be a much tougher test and he has never won when heavy has featured in the going description. Obviously he can win, but there is value in taking him on in my view.

I know Aloneamongmillions has 8L to make up on the Down Royal run, but he looked an out and out stayer that day as he stayed on late in the race. Over this longer trip on more testing ground I think he has a chance of reversing the form. He also has the tongue-tie for the first time which suggests he might have struggled with his breathing a little last time. I think he has a solid chance of being in the first 3 at the very least. 

Staker Wallace won hard held last time, but has already been beaten by Aloneamongmillions in a point this season. Winged Leader was 2nd behind Billaway last time which was a massive bounce back from his return at Fairyhouse where he pulled up. He should go well again and it will be interesting to see how his stablemate On The Sod gets on. He bolted up in the last hunter chase of last season and won on his seasonal return. This is obviously a step-up, but he is clearly progressing nicely. Dragon D'Estruval won a handicap off 140 at Ludlow last year, but was beaten in a point first up this season on his first start for Willie Mullins. He looks a bit short in the betting for me.

Aloneamongmillions 1pt e/w @ 7/1 with Bet365 (4 places are available with Betfair at 11/2)

2 hours ago, The Equaliser said:

3.40 Wolv Mansfield £2.00 @ 9.6 = poss profit of £11.96, Jeans Maite £2.50 at 8.8 = £14.89 & Jungle Boogaloo £2.50 at 8.6 = £14.21 profit if win.  Total stakes = £7.00.  Thsi assumes that Owwhatanight doesn't win but it is no world beater is it?

Have decided to have £3.10 at 5.0 on Ibn Arabi in the 3.10 at Wolvs.  The odds on hot pot has a far lower RPR and TImeform rating and has Ben Curtis aboard.  Looks worth a bet to me

2 hours ago, The Equaliser said:

Have decided to have £3.10 at 5.0 on Ibn Arabi in the 3.10 at Wolvs.  The odds on hot pot has a far lower RPR and TImeform rating and has Ben Curtis aboard.  Looks worth a bet to me

Luckily although Ibn Arabi was a right monkey going to post and getting into the stalls it actually won easily in the end.  My multiple race bet failed but it was a 10/1 shot that won in the end anyway.  All this meant that a £10.10 outlay produce a £15.25 return and showed a £5.15 profit.  My new balance is £541.69 (£500 Bank) as it took a £9.70 knock yesterday.

Some NHF Flat & Jumper's Bumpers tomorrow at Lingfield so that should be interesting  .