** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

Hunter Chase - 3.40 Ludlow

Darran

It is the first hunter chase of the season and it has been a very long 10 months since I last had a UK hunter chase to write about. After having a superb start to the 2019 season the start to the 2020 one was tough and I only just ended up making a profit. Obviously if we had gone through all the way to June I would have hoped to have improved that figure, but it did at least mean that in over 10 years of covering hunter chases I am yet to make a loss. At the moment amateur riders can't ride so we have professional's on top for now which does change things a bit, but I am glad they are at least taking place. We start with a 16 runner race which features 2019 Foxhunter winner Hazel Hill. I can't promise I will look at every single horse for every single race this season, but with my full time job out of action at the moment and 48 hour decs it certainly helps on that front.

Ennistown - 1st time blinkers worked so maybe 1st time hood will. I respect connections given what they did with Risk A Fine, but the ground looks a big question mark and he hasn't always convinced with his jumping. It wouldn't surprise me if he won, but he isn't for me.

Hazel Hill - Some question marks over him now given the last two efforts. It is possible Alex Edwards got caught out by Highway Jewel at Chaddesley Corbett last month, but he wasn't really making any inroads on her towards the end of the race. Given I have put her up for Cheltenham I obviously want to see a good run here and you would imagine he will come on for that effort. He also did finish a distance clear of the rest that day. At Wetherby he was found to be sore after the race and he had to make the running which I don't think he wants to do. That won't be an issue here. If at his best he is the one to beat, but there is no way I could even consider backing him at odds on. 

Ange Des Malberaux - A concern 3m round here could be sharp enough for him given he won a Lincolnshire National 2 years ago, but he certainly hasn't had a stamina test in his 3 pointing runs to date. He was flying late at Larkhill a year ago to finish 3rd behind Virak and Southfield Theatre. He fell on his next start in October and then was a solid enough 4th at Barbury last month. Strictly speaking he has a fair bit to find with Hazel Hill on a line through Fifty Shades, but I think that could be a bit misleading. He is one who could benefit massively from a jockey switch and the ground will help turn this into more of a test.

Magna Sam - To be fair to him he was running a hell of a race in this contest last year, but he was a lucky winner given Ballynagour fell 4 out and then Alcala fell at 2 out and hampered Dieu Vivant. Did finish 3L 2nd to Miss Seagreen on his point start prior which obviously looks good. He was really poor at Leicester on the following start though when the heavy ground was to blame. Not sure he will keep hold of his crown, but could put in a bold showing again.

Ravished - Very interesting jockey booking from his very shrewd trainer. Was very impressive on his seasonal debut at Kimble in November when getting his revenge on Southfield Theatre after losing out to him at Larkhill the previous season. His trainer thought he was a Cheltenham Foxhunter candidate last season and no doubt will be aiming him at that race again this season. The one thing that would concern me is if the ground went heavy as he did lose at Bangor on heavy ground a year ago, but otherwise he looks to have a good chance.

An Scairp - Pulled up on his only hunter chase start at Stratford in 2019 and was a 6L 2nd to Southfield Theatre on his only start since last February. That not a bad effort and is unexposed. His only run on soft ground he was well beaten in a bumper so that is an unknown.

Behind Time - Looks very much the trainers 2nd string and dropped away quite tamely on his pointing debut at Chaddesley Corbett in a race won by Chase Me.

Chase Me - Is a 5 time point winner including when dead heating last time as mentioned above. The time wasn't overly quick and he has never looked like winning a hunter chase yet so would be a bit of a surprise winner.

Dark Mahler - Was well beaten by Hazel Hill a year ago in a point although the runs either side of that weren't too bad. Even so hard to think he can win this.

Rikers Island - An interesting contender given he looked like he would be capable of winning a good race at one stage. He bolted up at Wincanton just over 2 years ago and followed that up with a good run at Newbury. It didn't quite go to plan after that though. Last season he was a solid 4th when returning at Exeter, but never threatened at Ascot and Wincanton after that. He has moved yards, but is owned by the same person and you would imagine Cheltenham qualification is the aim. If he can regain his progression he will be a player here.

Staple Head - His only win was in a match at Northaw in 2018 and it is nearly 2 years since he last ran.

Wayupinthebox - Would be a surprise winner.

Miss Seagreen - Looks to be improving having ended last season with an Intermediate win at Didmarton and then stepped up to Open company on her return last month at Larkhill beating Southfield Theatre by just over a length. It looked like she would win easier than that but the 2nd and 3rd closed on the run in. I think she was idling more than anything though and the winning margin could have been greater. Using Southfield Theatre as a yardstick Ravished has the beating of her, but I do think Southfield Theatre improved from 1st start to 2nd start. The ground is a big unknown, but if she handles it then I can see her running well.

Verdict - A huge field for the 1st hunter chase of the season and I suspect that will be the norm whilst pointing is suspended. There look to be very few capable of actually winning though. Hazel Hill is obviously one of them, but I would want to be looking at over 2/1 before I considered backing him. If he does win at least it is a big form boost for my Foxhunter bet. I'm not surprised that Ravished was backed from an early 7/1 and as usual his trainer is full of confidence. He's probably around the right price now though. Ennistown has ground concerns which put me off and as much as Reikers Island could be good enough to win I am happy to watching brief on him for now. That leaves me with Miss Seagreen and Ange Des Malberaux as the two other possible winners and I am happy to take both e/w. At a double figure price I think Miss Seagreen is too big. We know she is an improving horse and if she handles the ground I think she will be be bang there. Interestingly Ange Des Malberaux is seeing a little bit of support at a huge price. Like I say on bare pointing form he has a bit to find, but I think he could be a big improver for a change of jockey from a very inexperienced one in points to a professional. We know he is a dour stayer and that could be crucial given the ground conditions.

Miss Seagreen 1pt e/w @ 10/1 with Betfair (4 places)
Ange Des Malberaux 0.5pts e/w @ 28/1 with Bet365 or 25/1 with Betfair (4 places)

• Darran changed the title to Hunter Chase - 3.40 Ludlow

So it was a frustrating start to the season on the tipping front. Miss Seagreen made a bad mistake at the water and I'm far from saying that cost her the race, but it certainly didn't help matters and I thought she did well to finish 10L behind Hazel Hill after that. She is qualified for Cheltenham now although I would be aiming a level below that, but she should be more than capable of winning a hunter chase. We got the e/w money on her, but Ange Des Malberaux unseating Ben Poste at the 14th was hard to take. The jockey switch was just as huge as I thought it would be and given we know he stays well I find it hard not to think he would have been in the first 3. I have had it suggested to me that he would have won, but I am not so sure myself. It was a shame we didn't get to find out though. Needless to say I will be keeping a very close eye on jockey switches in the upcoming weeks.

Onto the winner and although he made slightly heavy work of it Hazel Hill did run out a comfortable winner in the end and the further they went the better he went. Martin Dixon on RacingTV reported that he looked fit in the parade ring and I would imagine that the Chaddesley Corbett run had improved his fitness. The fact he won though was a huge boost to my ante-post Cheltenham bet on Highway Jewel and it was not a surprise that she was also cut for Cheltenham as people began to cotton on that she was still 33s with Bet365. The 66/1 on her is looking very good right now although obviously she still needs to qualify and she is the right sort of price now (between 25/1 and 16/1). Hazel Hill ranges from 20/1 to 10/1 to regain his crown and as much as I can see him running well again I struggle to see him winning it again.

Ravished was not surprisingly the one who made the running and he gave it his all from the front. He clearly isn't going to win a Cheltenham Foxhunter, but Aintree would seem a much more sensible target. No doubt his trainer will still send him to Cheltenham regardless.

Ennistown was given a very quiet at the back having overjumped at the 1st. He was never really put into the race and was always going to struggle to make up that much ground on 3 good horses. Given he would prefer better ground as well it was a very eye-catching effort. Also in finishing 4th he clocked up his first qualifying run for Cheltenham and Aintree. He will be firmly on my radar next time out.

Reikers Island was well backed, but never ever looked like being involved and every chance he is one to carry on taking on. Last year's winner Magna Sam looked like he sulked when he couldn't make the running as he did last year. He might do better in a smaller field in a lesser race.

Next up will be Hereford on February 1st.