** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** ELO Ratings are now back **

Non-League Predictions > New Year's Day

Darran

3 winners on Saturday and the Nap won again although the day pretty much summed up what has been a very tough December. Kettering were well backed in the end and they were involved in a game which could have gone either way so the bet was spot on, but sadly it wasn't a winning one. There looks to be plenty of value around on New Year's Day and I have 7 bets.

Torquay v Yeovil

The 3 goals Yeovil gave away on Saturday against Sutton were all shocking from a defensive point of view and I certainly hope they defend better on Wednesday against a Torquay side who bounced back to form against Woking on Saturday. Having said that there was some fortune in 3 of of Torquay's goals against Woking and Woking were down to 10 men when it was only 2-1. I'm not sure we can use that match as proof they are fully out of their slump and given Yeovil gave them a 6-2 hammering on Boxing Day this is clearly going to be a much tougher game. When betting opened prior to Saturday's games Yeovil were 13/8 and that's the sort of price they should be. I think the markets have massively overreacted to Saturday's results and no way should Yeovil be as big as 5/2 to do the double over Torquay.

Hampton & Richmond v Dulwich Hamlet

Dulwich should be doing so much better than they are. They have a strong squad yet for some reason it just isn't happening on the pitch and they have won just one league game since August against Hungerford just before Christmas. They are massively under performing and they are in a relegation battle they ought not to be in. They lost 2-1 in the reverse fixture on Boxing Day and Hampton have really improved in recent weeks having picked up 20 points in their last 10 games. I would make the home side a shade of odds on to win this so they look value at 13/10.

Hemel Hempstead v St Albans

I put up St Albans on Saturday and they could easily have won although Wealdstone scored the only goal in the game in the end. That is their only defeat in their last 6 league games and as I mentioned in that preview they have been improving in recent weeks. They ran out comfortable 2-0 winners in the Boxing Day match between these two sides and although Hemel performed better on Saturday against Slough when picking up a point, that did make it 7 league games without a win. I can't have St Albans being as big as they are and I would have them under 2/1 let alone around the 5/2 mark that they are.

Boston v Kings Lynn

I took a chance on Kings Lynn on Saturday because they were playing a poor team in Alfreton and in the end their class got them a point, but to me it proved that they are struggling with the injuries and the kick turnaround of games. As I mention above there wasn't much between Boston and Kettering on Saturday and fair play to Boston for putting in a performance after their tough game on Boxing Day. Boston were unlucky to lose at Kings Lynn as well and they nearly held out after playing with 10 men for most of the match. I would make them nearer even money shots to win this given the situation so at 8/5 they look a solid bet.

Hereford v Kidderminster

Hereford haven't won in the league since they beat Leamington on October 1st and despite a change in manger Russell Slade has made very little difference to things. He really needs to freshen up the squad as they don't look good enough at the moment. Kidderminster on the other-hand have improved for a change of manager and have been putting in some decent performances of late. In the last 4 games they have beaten Guiesley and Hereford and drawn with Altrincham. Granted they did lose at Brackley on Saturday, but they performed really well especially in the first half. Given Brackley have only lost 1 in their last 10 league games that bodes well for this match as well. It makes no sense to me how they can be as big as 13/5 as they should be at least a point shorter in my view and I make them the best bet of the day.

Leiston v Needham Market

I'm annoyed with myself for not putting up Leiston on Boxing Day as they were a big price to win at Lowestoft which they duly did. That backs up my thinking that they are a much improved side and I think they are the right side of value to beat Needham Market. Market have only won once in their last 7 league games (although it was a surprise win against leaders Tamworth) and they drew with a poor St Ives side on Boxing Day. Leiston have only lost once in their last 5 now and that was when they had a chest infection going through the team so I think they can pick up another 3 points here.

Stratford Town v Rushall Olympic

How on earth Stratford beat Hednesford when I put up Hednesford I will never know as they have been poor apart from that. In their last 10 league games they have only picked up 1 more point and that was a draw against St Ives. Rushall maybe aren't quite in the form they were at the start of the season, but they have only lost 3 of their last 10 games and they were against Tamworth, Stourbridge and Coalville so 3 of the better sides in the division. They ought to be too good for their hosts here.

Yeovil 1pt @ 5/2 with Bet365

Hampton & Richmond 2pts @ 13/10 with Bet365

St Albans 2pts @ 129/50 with Marathon

Boston 1pt @ 8/5 with Bet365

Kidderminster 2.5pts @ 13/5 with Betfred and William Hill

Leiston 1pt @ 161/100 with Marathon

Rushall Olympic 2pts @ 117/100