Horse Racing Ratings

Hi guys, new to the forum but I'm seeking some help in creating my own ratings.

I get the general gist of handicapping and think I'm okay with that, I'm more needing help with exactly how to store my ratings. I've started off with a simple table with the name of the horse and then the top rating they've run to, but obviously it's useless only keeping one rating, as if they run badly I don't want that to replace the prior rating.

Should I be keeping a record of every race they've run? And if so, what's the best way of going about this?

Starting from scratch, what is the best way to go about creating your own horse racing ratings?

Thanks in advance.

Hi @alexfirth97 welcome to the forum

Its a big question you ask and something I cant answer in one go right now.

I take an average of the last 5 ratings, i think its dangerous to rely on their best rating only, this could be achieved in certain conditions and may be misleading. I think either you take the best rating of the last 3 or do an average like I do is much more reliable.

There is no easy way to store them in my eyes, i have used Raceform and that is excellent but its quite expensive at around £45 per month. You can work out your ratings and it will display the last 10 races no problem.
The old fashioned way is to keep a record in excel or something, years ago i used to write them down in a notebook after working the ratings out from the weekly handicap book newspaper.

There are some threads on making or creating your own ratings if you search the forum

This was my effort a while ago 

This thread has more posts. To see them, you'll need to sign up or sign in.