Different meaning of the word "staking"

HenryTD

I have been approached by a poker player to take part in what he called a "staking" arrangement though what a poker player means by staking appears different to what it means in horse racing. In horse racing AFAICT the word staking refers to systems for deciding how much to bet from one race to the next depending on things like the size of your bank (e.g. Kelly). In poker however it refers to a plan when an "investor" takes on the risk of the bets, i.e. the "tipster" gets a slice of the profits but is immune to any losses.... So my question is this: is there some speciall word for this kind of arrangement in horse betting? I'd like to be able to do a google search and look into typical percentages and ways to formulate such a deal but without knowing the right search term I am stuck.

I don't think there is a word for something like this in horse racing. I am not an expert on poker but I suspect that the arrangement you are referring to arises where the poker player is required to put up a significant stake or pot simply in order to get a seat at the table of the game - and in order to do so looks for outside investors for some funding. This situation does not arise in betting on the horses.

Staking in poker is where the investor buys the seat or part seat for the player to play and gives a percentage of the any winnings in return. They used to do that here on the PL. 
A player would ask for people to chip in a certain amount of the buy-in fee and give a percentage of anything won.
If they had a £500 buy in fee for a big tournament he would ask for half of the fee in say £20 chunks, other people could buy any amount of £20 chunks, it was very popular.

Nothing like that in racing as far as I am aware although its a bit like a Tipster selling his tips in reverse. The investor pays for the privilege of seeing the tips therefore gives up a percentage of his 'possible' winnings to the guy providing the tips, so in effect is staking the tipster although it wouldn't be exclusive to him, unless he paid big money.