Interesting hand - 2015 GUKPT Grand Final Day 1b

Bart(UK)

This is a great hand for post-analysis. Think it through carefully (stack sizes, relative to blinds, pot size, how it's played out etc) and post what you are thinking and how you would've genuinely played it. Be totally honest with yourselves. Remember there are no right or wrong answers but thinking it through with others who have different ways of looking at it helps us all to develop our game.

Video courtesy of Grosvenor gukpt.com & it's facebook page.

Will post my thoughts just as soon as i work out how to use the spoiler facility on here. Feel free to let me know your thoughts on mine too but post yours first without looking at the spoilers ;)

I think this is actually quite a standard situation ....guy has AA....villain flops the nuts and gets full value from someone who cant let go of AA ..granted he makes trips with them but super hard to get away from...I guess Charlie can have him on two pair or a flush draw - either way Charlie has to lead out on all streets to get value and out-price villain filling up his two pair of hitting flush (unbeknown to him he was drawing at a royal!).  The awkward thing for Charlie was that once he put 6k bet out on river it was hard not to call for the remainder 5.5k as the pot was so big and it was so little more to call in relation to pot - granted it was half his remaining stack.  The issue for Charlie was that there really was not much apart from a bluff (bust flush draw) that he was beating by this stage that would river shove for the reminder of his stack - maybe two pair but then from the villain's point of view...Charlie can have two pair at worst or trips buy the time they get to the river.

I think this is actually quite a standard situation ....guy has AA....villain flops the nuts and gets full value from someone who cant let go of AA ..granted he makes trips with them but super hard to get away from...I guess Charlie can have him on two pair or a flush draw - either way Charlie has to lead out on all streets to get value and out-price villain filling up his two pair of hitting flush (unbeknown to him he was drawing at a royal!).  The awkward thing for Charlie was that once he put 6k bet out on river it was hard not to call for the remainder 5.5k as the pot was so big and it was so little more to call in relation to pot - granted it was half his remaining stack.  The issue for Charlie was that there really was not much apart from a bluff (bust flush draw) that he was beating by this stage that would river shove for the reminder of his stack - maybe two pair but then from the villain's point of view...Charlie can have two pair at worst or trips buy the time they get to the river. 

If being honest I think I may have been able to check on the river rather than bet the 6k ...but that is me probably being too cautious...but maybe not...who knows...very tricky...

If being honest I think I may have been able to check on the river rather than bet the 6k ...but that is me probably being too cautious...but maybe not...who knows...very tricky...

I agree it's pretty standard here , I'm not surprised the straight flatted the flop maybe a bit surprised didn't see more action on the turn that is the point I think I check raise on a blank card like that you can get it in vs a lot of openers range such as AJ AQ AA QQ JJ and less flush combo's as Edmund holds most the strong hearts. 

On the river I've checked in similar spots too in the early stages , the trouble with checking is often you will look incredibly foolish not betting a hand as strong as the 2nd nuts and as played no-one can fault Charlies line he is getting over 5/1 on a call with top set , and even though Edmund is weighted so highly towards K10 as the bulk as has to call the only other value hand I see in Edmund's hand is maybe JJ , think he is much more likely to have re-raised QQ pre-flop and by the river he is not raise getting it all in with any 2 pair combo's and Charlie has played his hand to strong to risk 55BB on a bluff on a dry run out. 

All in all think both players played the hand out very reasonably