OHL Classic at Mayakoba - 12th -15th November

Bamford

Mayakoba and only 2 PGA Tour tournaments left till a month off!  Lovely. The OHL Classic is a fully fledged PGA Tour event close to Playa del Carmen on the Mexican coast.  Played since 2007, the El Camaleon track is a sub 7,000 yard track designed by Greg Norman.  Course form junkies should look at Norman's other design in San Antonio which certainly has links to previous winners here Charley Hoffman, John Huh and Johnson Wagner.  Since it's move to November and OHL's $6million backing, the class of winner has certainly improved, but winners here need to be patient, excellent wind players, top ball-strikers and have the ability to make birdies on key Par 3s and Par 5s which need to be birdied. There are tough holes out there, so length off the tee helps, but it needs to be accurate. Fairways are lined by mangroves which generate double bogeys by the bucket load. But despite the wind and likely rain, a soft course will be scorable to those who can tame it. 

I'm looking at different angles.  Those with a desire to finish the season strong for access to Majors/WGCs seems plausible.  So I'm including Brendan Steele (25/1) and Brian Harman (75/1) who are striking the ball beautifully at the moment.  Steele deserves a win, and Harman is more off the radar. A course horse whose price has surprised me is Chris Stroud.  A perennial non-winner he's looked btter in contention since 2013 and he loves El Camaleon, where brute power is negated. 

I've also had a tentative punt on Brice Garnett, who played well last week in Mississippi and was 6th here last year at 150/1.  Kyle Reifers came close and Aaron Baddeley is a huge danger if continues to hit more fairways and greens.