** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

Kiko1983 your questions mate

Jezza

Hey Kiko, Thought I would start a new thread for you here seeing as we all got bombed out on our asses in the 50k added on cryptologic we cant have anyone reading that thread and seeing how much we all sucked :lol. Right so you want to start playing online poker for real I guess....good stuff. Like I said in the other thread its great fun + the chance to win some bucks is always good. I'm glad to read you have been playing the play tables and trying your hand at some freerolls first, coming 19th in that one you talked about in the other thread you must have a decent understanding of how the game works already which is great - so many people jump in feet first playing for money when they dont even know three of a kind beats two pair :lol. So you want to play a lot of multi table tournaments then I guess (MTT's). Most sites these days have loads of them (they are super popular) even ones with 1k first prizes for an entry fee of a dollar are not uncommon such is the popularity. What I would suggest when you are first starting out on online poker, or for anyone trying to build a roll is to take advantage of all the bonuses out there. These sites are making a F O R T U N E in the current climate and most are not scared about giving some back of it to us customers. This site here http://www.bonuswhores.com/bonus-whoring-101.php gives a decent guide to how to hoover up quite a few bonuses (apart fom anything else it shows you what you should be looking for). However I would probably say your best bet for now is bet365poker (www.bet365poker.com). You can get 50$ free for playing there (make sure your first poker purchase is at least 50 dollar chips) and they have frequent MTT's at all stakes/freezouts/rebuys. They also "guarantee" prize pools in some events which is always a good thing. If you want to try your hand at cash tables they have very small stake ones all the way up to 200/400 blind NL and they have sit n gos aplenty as well. Jez

Re: Kiko1983 your questions mate

so many people jump in feet first playing for money when they dont even know three of a kind beats two pair :lol.
When I started I thought a full house beat a flush ;)

Re: Kiko1983 your questions mate Think this could be the thread I'm looking to tag on to:D I play in all the Freerolls i can but i always come up against the same problem. I start to run out of chips and panic!:) I play steady poker for an hour build up what i think is a nice little bank..say 3500 and the next minute i'm surrounded by sharks with banks of at least 10,000. Then its's panic time..ALL IN..and two hands later its well done you finished in 520th place. Happens every time:sad Aggressive,Aggressive rock,tight,loose..just how do you play in tourneys?

Re: Kiko1983 your questions mate

Kiko The 2 most important things to remember. 1) 27o is the best hand in poker 2) No matter how bad your hand looks, the river always comes to the rescue. :lol
What is this lingo ive seen a few times 27o for example?? Dont quite get that! Thanks Jezza for the tips - from the experience ive played i enjoy the tournaments more as its gets your adrenaline pumping real good!! Also theres nothing better than going all in with a great hand and they all follow you in. Just away to check that link you put in and see whats on offer but i like the look of your bet365 one. For the next week or so im just going to stay in the free tourneys to brush up on weaknesses and the fact i have exams this week and will probably not bother studying cause of it. Then ill get involved in some big money hopefuly - ill keep an eye out for you guys having some games and see if i can join you's for one or two and show you's how to play!! :D

Re: Kiko1983 your questions mate Hagerty i hope can be of some help to you. Having played quite a few freerolls in my time. There are 3/4 sections to the freeroll or any mtt. Start In freerolls there a lot of headcases around sticking it all in with marginal or worse hands. My advice don't be tempted to mix it up. Wait for a monster im talking a big pair or ace king possible and murder them. I would say 9/10 if you sit long enough the hand will come up and you will at least double through. Middle I would say my weakness, we have got rid of most of the nutters and the blinds aren't big enough to hurt your stack. Its time to accumulate. I would actually advise seeing a few flop and trying to hit. Cos if you don't make inroads now you will come under all in pressure Blinds Stinging/ Bubble approaching You are at one of two points here either you are in good position and nicking the blinds and bluffing become affective. Or you are short stacked trying to make the money/ double thru. Don't panic whatever wait for a good hand and then put all in pre flop don't call in this situation its raise or fold time. Set yourself a starting requirement with regards to your stack and the blinds and keep to it. In the money Basically advise the old poker maxim of play opposite to the way the table is playing. If everyone is loose play tight and vica versa.

Re: Kiko1983 your questions mate Cheers Mark that's been printed off and put by the side of the PC for future reference. We should have a beginners section on the poker forum so that you can ask real dumb ass questions without feeling a complete dufus.:o

Re: Kiko1983 your questions mate hagerty, just ask away mate, it doesnt matter how simple you think your question is everyone has to learn someway and it is far better to learn on here than costing you money playing poker for real. Also if you look back through previous threads in this forum there are lots on MTT tourney strategy... Jez

Re: Kiko1983 your questions mate Kiko, 27o means your pocket cards are a two and a seven off differing suits (referred to as offsuit in the poker world - that's what the small o stands for. 72o is generally regarded as the worst starting hand in hold 'em. A few of the guys on here challenge themselves to see how many hands they can win with it and then post the screenshot on here. I think Staffy is the undisputed champion at the moment. Have a look at a thread called "Funny As F*ck" to see what I'm on about.

Re: Kiko1983 your questions mate Ahhhh i see - i didnt realise that, i thought the 30 paid was split between prize pot and to the bookies! Makes sense now - thanks for clearing up these questions! Im sure ill find some more for you's!

Re: Kiko1983 your questions mate Keep asking the questions guys.................. that's what the forum is here for :ok When Starting off playing Internet poker, its quite good to try the play money table first. It lets you get used to how the software and gameplay works without losing any money through beginners mistakes. Having said that, people play the game very differently when they don't have any of their cash riding on the outcome. So after you get the hang of the gameplay, if you want a decent game that you can enjoy and to become a better player, you really need to start playing for real money. I started playing on Bet365 and I'd echo Jez's recommendation of it as a good place to start. There are lots of freeroles, low buy-in Single Table Tournaments(STT)- They start at $0.75+ $0.25 (actually I started playing at the $2 buy in level then moved up as I started having more success.) They also have low buy-in Multi Table Tournaments (MTT) if that is what you are interested in. Basically the most important thing is to get as much experience as possible, as it's the only real way to improve your play.......... and personally speaking I think its best to make your mistakes when they aren't costing you much :lol but the level you start playing at pretty much depends on your own financial circumstances. I don't play many MTT's (mostly just play STT's) so I'm not best placed to give you advice on them. One general bit of advice however would be to Examine your play........... and be honest with yourself. If you lose a hand its easy to say its a bad beat or that you were unlucky, but think about whether or not there was a better way you could have played it. Should you have folded pre-flop? Put in a bigger raise pre-flop? or on the Turn? etc, etc, If there was a better move you could have made then learn from it and use the information to your advantage next time. If on the other hand you were ahead when the money went in and were just unfortunate, then................ well that's just poker, it happens. The annoying fact is that you can play a hand very well and still lose. On the other end of the spectrum Its also good to examine the hands you win as well. Was it good play? or were you just lucky? did you win because your opponent played even worse than you did :lol or was it just a really well played hand? If you had played the hand differently could you have gained more chips? etc. etc. It's all experience and improves your game in the future. Generally speaking the person who makes the least mistakes wins. If you are not sure about anything or want a second opinion on your play then there are plenty of knowledgeable people on here who will give you their opinion. http://www.cardplayer.com/poker_odds/texas_holdem.php This is quite a handy tool for calculating the odds of one hand v another and is very helpful for examining your play. some of the results might surprise you. :ok GL

Re: Kiko1983 your questions mate You have been folding for the past twenty hands then you are dealt AA, now all the books say raise with this. But it you sudenly raise after folding for so long people will think 'he's got something' and will just fold leaving only the blinds in the pot. Why not check or call to try and build up the pot. Is it considered unfair or bad play to do this? I suppose it's best to do this before the flop as then your AA may not look so good. But why raise straight away?

Re: Kiko1983 your questions mate Depends on what level you are playing at, i find at the levels im playing that very few people at the table will notice i have folded hand after hand and then suddenly im raising 3bb (or more) when i get the rockets. So i still get action even tho my table image is tight. The arguement for raising is to thin the field and therefore giving your aces a better chance of success. If you let 5 people play the flop, you are actually a dog to win against the field even tho you held the nuts beore the flop. So in a ideal situation you want one or two opponents then the strength of your hand will be greater. Also they will have paid to stay with you.

Re: Kiko1983 your questions mate Some good advice on here Fellas.... One tip I would give as well if you are just starting out is to read a couple of good Poker books, this will give you a really good grounding on all aspects of Poker, inc starting hands, pre flop/post flop play etc & can only help improve your game! There is a thread around somewhere that talks about this, but 2 I have found excellent are: For Tourneys: Championship No-Limit & Pot Limit Hold'Em - On Jezzas Recommendation wink2.gif For Cash Games: Super System 2 By Doyle Brunson Both excellent reads that are not too heavy, & they WILL improve your game no end bigokay.gif

Re: Kiko1983 your questions mate Hi Hagerty :ok I'd echo what Mark said. When you are playing at lower levels its amazing the amount of people who only seem to look at their own cards and just don't pay attention to how anyone else is playing. I have to say I would virtually always raise when I have pocket aces. The main reason is that- as mark said- If you let 5 or more people see the flop, there is a decent chance that someone may make a better hand than you. Pocket aces are the best starting hand......... but they're not magic. You still only have top pair, Its very easy to get tunnel vision and think you've got the best hand. This can make AA a hard hand to let go. If someone flops 2 pair etc you can be in deep shit :( Use the link I posted earlier and try it out for 5 players, with one having AA. Depending on the combination of starting hands your odds of winning with AA vary but you will see that although you have the greatest chance of winning of all the players, your chance of winning overall is generally less than 50%........... which is not really what you want. If you are playing thinking you have the best hand, then you can lose a lot of chips, if not your whole stack. Try out the odds if there are only 2 or 3 players seeing the flop and you will notice that your situation is greatly improved. If you put in a decent raise and are called (or re-raised) this gives you more information to help you assess your opponents possible hands. If you flat call pre-flop then your opponents (especially the small and large blinds) could have any starting hand. An innocuous looking flop of 9 7 2 could be devastating to you if the large blind had 9 7 or even pocket 2's etc. These are hands that would most likely be folded in the face of a decent raise. If you get 1 caller to your raise you will probably have as much in the pot as if you had 4 or 5 people flat call you. This is not to say there is only one right way to play a hand .......... you don't want to be completly predictable, but if you are going to slow play, then i would do it rarely and always be careful you don't get mugged :lol There is no worse feeling than having been dealt great hole cards and then losing the hand through slow playing in order to "trap" your opponent. Sometimes when you raise everyone folds and you only gain the blinds.............. but you will be amazed how often someone calls.

Re: Kiko1983 your questions mate Most of the bigger poker sites have MTT's around the clock ( though they are less frequent in the hours you might expect the americans to be asleep :() Off the top of my head, Betfair/william hill (They use the same software and are part of the same network so it's usually the same tournament you are joining regardless of the site you enter it from) have regular low buy-in MTT's starting from a £2 buy-in. Bet365 also has 24 hour tournaments (the buy-ins vary.) Actually having a look at it Bet365 have a $1 pot limit MTT at 12:30 pm, a $200 NL freerole at 13:00, $5 pot limit MTT at 13:30. I don't play at coral so I've no idea how it compares to others.