Stamina

Very hard to quantify stamina...........one of the difficulties I always have is judging whether a horse will stay the trip Today I've had a bet on Mighty Missile in the 1.50 at MR - it's a 2 mile 3 furlong hurdle with only 3 runners, one of which looks a bit useless so I'm looking at it as a match My selection on the face of it should be a sprinter. His sire's progeny average winning trip is 6.1 furlongs and his damsire's is 7.0 furlongs.......so you'd think from that he should be a 6 furlong sprinter But here he is in a 19 furlong hurdle race.......:loon His race record suggests he might stay. he's been placed over 16 furlongs on the flat and over sticks but he's still a maiden and regularly gets reports like 'weakened before last', 'held towards finish', 'no extra closing stages'....these sorts of comments I usually take as meaning that a horse's stamina has run out towards the race finish........all those comments where over 16 furlongs and today is 19 furlongs Would you think there's any chance of him staying the trip ? The Racing Post says 'should be suited by this longer trip' though God knows what evidence they base that on. It might be that he's been reported as one-paced in the finish on several occasion.......pundits often think this means a horse needs further but I'm not sure. I often think it just means their stamina has run out and they're ambling along slowly I'd be interested to know if anyone else has looked at this race and formed an opinion on whether the horse will stay .......and what that opinion is based on? (As might be obvious I probably shouldn't have backed this horse but his main or only rival is a dicky jumper so I'm hoping my horse will be able to go round at a leisurely pace to ensure he gets home whilst the rival blunders his chance away. Stamina is also linked to pace as the slower they run the longer a doubtful stayer should be able to last though might have nothing left if they speed up for a sprint finish)

This thread has more posts. To see them, you'll need to sign up or sign in.