Notebook - for the flat

To all ATR followers, i have recently been made a moderator on this forum, & wish to introduce this thread as a sticky during the flat season. The objective is to note any horses that you think are worthy of a mention. This can be a winner with so much in hand so it's worth following again or an unlucky loser or even an obvious cheat spot where the jockey has ridden the horse down the field. Obviously, we dont want to have 100 horses on here, but hopefully we can identify 10-20 during the season & then dismiss them when needed. This normally helps me to remember all those forgotten horses. Plus i will be happy to keep a record of the notebook horses for interest. All i ask is that you post what you see & your thoughts/analysis.

Re: Notebook - for the flat April 12th - Newmarket 7f - Good/Firm Racing Post comments: CASHIER was out for the count after 1f, looking as if he had never been asked to gallop on this quicker ground despite having raced last year. He was a detached last after 2f, but then found his rhythm and moved up stylishly down the stands' side of the pack, staying on strongly in the final furlong despite edging right. He looks sure to maintain the good family record, looking sure to get a mile. Additional comments from this weeks RFO include.... "It took him a furlong or so to get motoring and was fully 20 lengths off the leaders by hat point. He ended up getting done 3/4 of a length and would have won in a few more strides. He is a certain future winner"

Re: Notebook - for the flat FLAMBOYANT LAD 13th April - Newmarket - 1m 4f After an impressive last season, (never out of the money) in some decent races, Barry Hills was talking this up as a potential Ebor horse for this season. His comeback run on Wednesday, when only 4th can be forgiven as he met trouble in running 3furlongs out and lost his place. He finished well when finally recovering and getting a clear run. He will win again soon. Racing Post race comments.... Forgive Flamboyant Lad his run as nothing went his way. He could find no running room from the middle of the pack entering the final four furlongs and, when finally pulled out wide, he kept on steadily without threatening the front two who had flown. This big colt looks to have done well over the winter and can soon make amends for this unlucky run.

Re: Notebook - for the flat

great idea mate' date=' does this thread cover just the turf flat racing or can it include AW races ?[/quote'] Yep, Ian - just post what you see. There are quite a few AW horses that switch to the turf & vice versa during the season so can you highlight whether it is the AW you are noting the horse for or even both. :ok

Re: Notebook - for the flat thanks Guys, i need to put in a table with these names on with a link to racing post or similar for entry details? anyhow, I felt that the following horse gave a good account of itself yesterday & when it gets faster ground & hopefully is tried again over 1m 4f, I will be on.

4 3/4 20050420eps154002.pngWunderwood (USA) (10)8/16 9 - 7S Sanders Lady Herries104
in touch, chased winner 3f out to over 1f out, driven and not quicken entering final furlong

Re: Notebook - for the flat Mister Benji - 3.20 Wolv - 22nd April - 7 furlongs - Class 6 - Standard Going This horse was absolutely cruising as it entered the run in when the rest in this race were scrubbing away like mad. However, it got well and truly mullered by a couple of backward moving horses and never got to put in a challenge. I wouldn`t be surprised to see this one make a swift return to the track. Racing Post Analysis - Mister Benji was short of room in the straight and would have been closer with a clear run. BTW, there`s a great new Videoform feature on the ATR channel that archives every race shown on it, when they add this race, I`ll edit a link to it in this post so you can watch it and make your judgement :ok

Re: Notebook - for the flat Hello all, Firstly, I would agree with both of Aykay's. CASHIER - All I can add to what has already been put up is that it had been backed in the morning on Betfair going off joint fav so must be quite well thought of. Think Dettori was originally booked but after 1st race of the day cried off. FLAMBOYANT LAD - Totally agree, with a slow run race being trapped in mid-div was not the place to be, especially with connections talking of it getting further. Front two had the run of the race, the 2nd Bendarshaan was a bit disappointing on Wednesday at Epsom. PAMIR - Trained by Luca Cumani. 3rd of 19 in 6f 0-85 handicap at Ripon heavy Class4. 14th April. Backed from 12/1 into 9/1. Raced stands side and pulled about 4l clear of the rest on that side. Rest finished 8th, 12th, 13th, 14th, 16, 18, 19 of 19. Pace was all on the far side. Rowan Lodge the 5th ran at the weekend 3rd in Class 3 race. In one of the season guides Cumani says ' Progressive little horse will run in handicaps over 7f & mile. Fast ground suits him well' So ground appear to not be a problem. PEACE AND LOVE - 4th of 13 Maiden Fillies race @ Newmarket 5f Good/firm. 13th April. Trained by M Magnusson. Went off 14/1. Left behind in stalls. Eddie Ahern to me was not too hard on her & seemed to be going quite well finishing only 2l down on the winner of Mick Channon's, who is quite well thought of apparently, going off 5/4 fav. Worry now is that the 2nd & 3rd Oceans Apart of Paul Cole's & Abbielou of Brian Meehan's were both beaten at the weekend at odds on. Enough for now. All the best, Khartoum.

Re: Notebook - for the flat Just a thought, but do you think it might be worth putting any of these horses in the Horse Alerts section of any of the free websites such as gg.com etc where you get emails the day before to tell you they are running? Or is it best to rely on Bowles??

Re: Notebook - for the flat yes guys i`m going to knock up a table for all this. Ideally there will be a link to a site with entries but hopefully it`ll be one without having to login to anywhere. RP, Sporting life and GG you have to have an account I think so i`ll have to have a look about.

Re: Flamboyant Lad Aykay, From the Post today. Barry Hills says he is unlikely to take up his entry in the Chester Cup next week & is likely to reappear at Newmarket this wekend instead. The colt 12-1 for the race at Chester, met trouble in running when fourth at the Craven meeting. Hills said ' Flamboyant Lad wasn't suited by the slow early pace, then suffered trouble in running. He's in the Chester Cup but is more likely to go to Newmarket.' Entries will be out later, but I think there is a 1m 4f handicap, I'll put it up when I see it. All the best, Khartoum.

Re: Notebook - for the flat ILE MICHEL - another Seb Sanders - Lady Herries trained runner Bowles has already put one up, anyway Ile Michel ran well enough back with old connections having had a midwinter break. He is not overbig to carry big weights and could not get competitive from midfield despite having won over six furlongs. Trip notes read, towards rear, ridden 3f out, switched right over 1f out, ran on final furlong, and was beaten 5L, with a step back upto 9f the trip it last won at i can see this horse getting its head back in front again, possibly on a flatter track than Brighton, ill look out for entries.

Re: Notebook - for the flat Posted by Jakeday in the "notebook table" thread ====================================== Interesting run from Pocketwood in the 3.05 Leicester on 23/04. Held up and outpaced over 1m4f. Finished well and although hung left nearly caught the winner....Bit exposed now, but if he's tried over even longer NTO could be interesting?

Re: Notebook - for the flat Stephanies Dream Interesting 2 yr old from a lesser stable. Cheaply bought and owned by a syndicate but ran well in two races over an inadequate 5 furlongs. Should pick up a race or two when stepped another furlong.

FLAMBOYANT LAD 13th April - Newmarket - 1m 4f After an impressive last season, (never out of the money) in some decent races, Barry Hills was talking this up as a potential Ebor horse for this season. His comeback run on Wednesday, when only 4th can be forgiven as he met trouble in running 3furlongs out and lost his place. He finished well when finally recovering and getting a clear run. He will win again soon. Racing Post race comments.... Forgive Flamboyant Lad his run as nothing went his way. He could find no running room from the middle of the pack entering the final four furlongs and, when finally pulled out wide, he kept on steadily without threatening the front two who had flown. This big colt looks to have done well over the winter and can soon make amends for this unlucky run.
runs in the 5.05 at Newmarket on Sunday. Likely favourite around 4/1?

Punters Lounge Notebook
DateHorseCommentC + DGoing
12-AprCashierOutpaced early on, recovered well, lost by just 3/4 LNewm - 7fGF
13-AprFlamboyant LadTrouble in running, finished wellNewm - 12fGF
13-AprPeace and LoveMissed start to eventually lose out by just 2 LNewm - 5fGF
14-AprPamirProgressive sort, to race in hcaps over 7/ 8 f Rip - 6fS
20-AprWunderwoodChased winner but couldn`t quicken final furlongEps - 10fGS
22-AprMister BenjiBadly hampered, cruising, never got to mount challengeWolv - 7fStd
24-AprIle MichelRidden 3f out, switched to lose out by 5 LBrig - 8fGF
23-AprPocketwoodOutpaced, hung left to come 2nd, needs longer trip NTOLeic - 12fGS
31-MarStephanies DreamRaced over inadequate trips, needs over 5 fDon - 5fGD
Ian - just moved your table into this sticky as it ended up on page 2 today! hope thats ok. Flamboyant Lad was pulled out today. After seeing Cumani's winner today, i will be keeping a close eye on aything he brings out now.

Re: Notebook - for the flat Aragorn - Is well regarded by the Loder yard, and they say this is there best colt in training, won very convincingly yesterday, and will be aimed towards the Irish 2000 Guineas im told. Walkonthewildside - Is apparently very good, and won very well yesterday, is going for the Brittania handicap at Royal Ascot, and apparently, is going there to win. :ok

Re: Notebook - for the flat i'm sure you all saw UHOOMAGOO today. This was my lincoln bet but did nto run due to the ground. Enjoyed the faster ground today & finished best of all runners once it got an opening into 5th. Came from near enough last & can take a nice prize this season. I think maybe an Ascot (York) handicap is on the cards for this year? Needs to go into the notebook but will always be in competitive races over 7f / 1m.

Re: Notebook - for the flat As I'm new, I just had a look at this thread and three horses have caught my eye in the Past Week. I shall keep contributing in this thread from now on. Ringmoor Down Raced last Saturday at Newmarket in the Group 3 5f Race. She got very upset in the stalls and considering that, she did very well to finish third and is a bit better than the bare form suggests and I think she would have got closer that day if not for that mishap. She would be sharper for that run and is properly likely to go for the Temple Stakes en-route to the Kings Stand at Royal York where she will have a leading chance in both. She is not as good over 6f than 5 and it would slightly surprise me if she runs in the Group 3 6f race at York this week. Balyan: Balyan seemed not to get home in the CHESTER CUP on Wednesday and may benefit from a slightly shorter trip. He actually travelled well for a long way and shaped better than his finishing position. He switched right 4f out then made headway 3f out but found no extra in the final 1f and was eased. This was only his fourth run and he is another with considerable potential for improvement. It would be no surprise if he is aimed at the Ebor and look out for him as well over a slightly shorter distance in the forthcoming weeks ahead. Zonergem: Had no where to go and was blocked in running at Chester on Wednesday, and his rider soon eased him when their chance had gone. With a clear run I thought he would have been thereabouts at the end. He was 3rd in last years Royal Hunt Cup at Royal Ascot and it'll be no surprise if he goes there for another crack at this 1m race and will be a big price, 20-1 Minimum. I reckon at a decent value he will go close.

Re: Notebook - for the flat I noted down a very eyecatching performance today from one of Aidan O'Brien's Horses: SCORPION: He was very green in this race today and will come on a considerable amount. He was being pushed along 3 out until slightly getting the hang of things and won quite impressively in the end easing at the line. The Trainer says he is one of their best horses in Training and deserves following wherever he goes. RP COMMENTS: A good maiden and a good introduction from the highly regarded SCORPION who justified heavy market support despite greenness. He was being niggled along three and a half furlongs out but he led inside the last 50 yards under a confident ride. He should go on to considerably better things. Trainer Aidan O'Brien said: "He's a lovely horse but had a few hold-ups, otherwise he'd have been out before this. The Derby might come a bit quick for him but I wouldn't rule anything in or out. We've always thought highly of him. He's one of our top horses."

thanks Guys, i need to put in a table with these names on with a link to racing post or similar for entry details? anyhow, I felt that the following horse gave a good account of itself yesterday & when it gets faster ground & hopefully is tried again over 1m 4f, I will be on.
43/4 20050420eps154002.pngWunderwood (USA) (10)8/16 9 - 7S Sanders Lady Herries 104
in touch, chased winner 3f out to over 1f out, driven and not quicken entering final furlong
Wunderwood is my selection & it goes in the 8.25 at hamilton on Friday night. Looks to have a great chance & i rate the only Danger to be Pukka. Stepped up in trip now to 1m 4f which i think is the horses best distance. Will be around the 4/1 mark & hopefully the ground will remain good to soft at worse, it it goes Soft, i will probably leave it for another day as it's never won on soft ground.

Re: Notebook - for the flat Peace and Love was one of mine & for the purpose of the notebook I'd take it off. It's had the win in it's grade it was noted & is now upped in class. Going today at York 1.30 ground on soft side which she hasn't encountered yet. Still a fair price at around 6/7's, so think I'll have a small win bet.

Wunderwood is my selection & it goes in the 8.25 at hamilton on Friday night. Looks to have a great chance & i rate the only Danger to be Pukka. Stepped up in trip now to 1m 4f which i think is the horses best distance. Will be around the 4/1 mark & hopefully the ground will remain good to soft at worse' date=' it it goes Soft, i will probably leave it for another day as it's never won on soft ground.[/quote'] pissed up :clap :clap :clap :cow :cow :cow 4-1:cow :cow