** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

CPO's Horse Racing Thread

Re: CPO's Horse Racing Thread 3pts Cirrus Des Aigles 4/5 & Australia 13/8 Double - Ladbrokes You have to love Cirrus. Just when you thought he was on the downgrade he has come out this season and proved everyone wrong by winning 2 group 1 contests and beating the mighty Treve in the process. I think on soft ground this horse would be a certainty but I still expect him to win if the ground is fast tomorrow. He has shown throughout his career that he is very versatile in regards to ground. He is an 8 year old now but has looked very impressive in his last 2 wins. There aren't many genuine group 1 horses in this race and I don't think too many will get involved. AOB has been harping on about Australia for a long time now and tomorrow we will see if he can live up to the hype. The horse is bred to love this CD and I feel he will be very tough to beat if he gets luck in running. He ran an encouraging reappearance in the Guineas and he looked as though the step up in trip would suit. He looks the one to beat.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: CPO's Horse Racing Thread 1.35 Epsom - Zampa Manos 1pt win @ 14/1 BetVictor This looks massively competitive but I have come down on the side of the Balding horse. It's no surprise this horse has been raised 6lbs for an excellent run in the Dee Stakes at Chester. He was beaten under 4 lengths that day on ground that probably won't have suited him. I think the quicker ground tomorrow will be much more to his liking and he could prove tough to pass if he gets to the front. Andrew Balding does well at this track and Oisin Murphy keeps the ride taking off 3lbs. I don't think there are any outstanding horses in this race although there are some horses with great potential and open to plenty of improvement. Zampa Manos is one that has shown his hand already but he does set a decent standard and I am happy to side with him.

Re: CPO's Horse Racing Thread

1.35 Epsom - Zampa Manos 1pt win @ 14/1 BetVictor This looks massively competitive but I have come down on the side of the Balding horse. It's no surprise this horse has been raised 6lbs for an excellent run in the Dee Stakes at Chester. He was beaten under 4 lengths that day on ground that probably won't have suited him. I think the quicker ground tomorrow will be much more to his liking and he could prove tough to pass if he gets to the front. Andrew Balding does well at this track and Oisin Murphy keeps the ride taking off 3lbs. I don't think there are any outstanding horses in this race although there are some horses with great potential and open to plenty of improvement. Zampa Manos is one that has shown his hand already but he does set a decent standard and I am happy to side with him.
Sorry this should be 1pt EW

Re: CPO's Horse Racing Thread 4.50 Epsom - Dare to Achieve 2pts win @ 4/1 PaddyPower This horse didn't go on as expected last year but returned to action this year with a good win at listed level. He got the better of Rawaki that day but the paid pulled clear of the 3rd horse. DTA was pretty keen in the early stages of that race so he did well to win. That race should have brought him on a ton and I think he improve plenty for the run. He is by Galileo so will relish this CD and he is trained by William Haggas who is in cracking form at the moment. This looks competitive but Dare to Achieve should go close.

Re: CPO's Horse Racing Thread Belmont Stakes - Medal Count 1pt EW @ 16/1 Hills I would like to see California Chrome complete the triple crown as it doesn't happen very often but I think he could be vulnerable just as so many before him have been when running in the third leg. I feel one that could take advantage is Medal Count. This horse is only a grade 3 winner coming into this and finished 8th in the Kentucky Derby but he looks as though the step up in trip will really suit. He was unlucky in the Kentucky Derby as he was staying on well when badly hampered in the straight and would have finished much closer had that not happened. He is bred for this sort of trip and if he gets a clear passage he could be one finishing off the race really well. He also has the services of one of the very few American jockeys I know and I am hopeful he can run well.

Re: CPO's Horse Racing Thread 4.05 Goodwood - Kashgar 1.5pts EW @ 10/1 SkyBet I like Kashgar here. He is very consistent and has struck form in his last 2 runs. Both times he has finished runner up with his latest effort coming over CD. Last season he racked up a hat-trick around this time and he looks one that keeps his form. I think the drying ground will also be in his favour and a 4lb rise in the weights wouldn't worry me.

Re: CPO's Horse Racing Thread Dare to Achieve was very poor. Medal Count ran well to finish 3rd in the Belmont and Kashgar ran well to finish 2nd today. Thought he was going to win at one point but wasn't to be. Bets 82 Winning Bets 18 Strike Rate 22% Staked 168 Returned 191.37 Profit +23.37pts

Re: CPO's Horse Racing Thread 3.00 Ayr - Another For Joe 1pt EW @ 12/1 Ladbrokes After whittling down this field I am left with George Cinq, Off the Pulse, Le Chat D'or and Another For Joe. Another For Joe has beaten Le Chat D'or in the past off much worse terms than these so I am happy to go against the Dodds horse here despite him running very well last time out in a better contest. He is also 9lbs higher than his highest winning mark so he is off the shortlist. George Cinq is another that ran well last time out and he is handicapped to win having been dropped a lb and being only 1lb higher than his highest winning mark. His best runs on turf however have come at Sandown and he does have joint top weight to carry here. The two I like here are Off the Pulse and Another For Joe. Off the Pulse won well last time out and has been raised 5lbs but there could be more to come from him with John Mackie's horses going well. At the prices I like Another For Joe. He is drawn high which is a positive for one who likes to race up with the pace. He ran a stinker last time out from a new mark but previously won by 6 lengths over CD. His new mark is 75 but he has won from 74 in the past and lost out by a nose off 75 to the talented handicapper Awake My Soul. His record at this track is mostly very good with just 1 poor run coming here in October last year. I am happy to forgive his latest run as he can be competitive from this mark and he will have no problems with the ground. Jim Goldie and Graham Lee are one of the top teams at this track and I am hopeful he can bounce back.

Re: CPO's Horse Racing Thread 4.15 Newton Abbott - Table Bluff 1pt EW @ 9/1 Ladbrokes John Spearing has fit form of late with his last 3 runners all winning. This horse looks to have an excellent chance here after running well on handicap debut at Worcester last time out. He stayed on well at the finish that day so the extra furlong here should suit. Jamie Moore takes the ride, which is a positive and this horse looks to have plenty in his favour.

Re: CPO's Horse Racing Thread 4.00 Ayr - TheCornishCowboy 2pts win @ 13/8 I have had a little bet on this horse as I think he should take plenty of beating. He absolutely hacked up at Nottingham 5 days ago and escapes a penalty for that win. Conditions today are very similar at Ayr and he has taken well in the past to running a couple of races in quick succession. Graham Lee on board and he looks to have a solid chance of following up.

Re: CPO's Horse Racing Thread 3.55 Salisbury - Cascading 2pts win @ 13/2 PaddyPower I think Cascading is very interesting here. This will be his first run in a handicap but his maiden form has worked out extremely well. Two runs ago this horse was narrowly beaten by Inchilla who has since finished 4th in the Oaks and Criteria who came 3rd that day was only narrowly touched off in an Oaks trial at Lingfield. Cascading's latest run came over CD where she was beaten by the John Gosden trained Sultanina who has since followed up in a group 3 contest. The form has worked out well and she could be decently enough handicapped here off 78. Hughie Morrison does very well at the track and has taken this race twice in the last 5 years. This does look tough but I would expect Cascading to get involved here.

Re: CPO's Horse Racing Thread 2.10 Fontwell - Minella Special 1pt EW @ 14/1 Bet365 Many of these arrive here in good form unlike the selection but I feel he could run well today. His highest winning mark came from 114 so he is 2lbs lower today. He hasn't been running well since returning from a break and he did unseat last time out but he is now handicapped to win with the yard in absolutely cracking form. Tom O'Brien has won on the horse before and is one of the top jockeys at the track. Wouldn't be surprised to see a much better showing from this horse today.

Re: CPO's Horse Racing Thread 4.50 Beverley - Steel Stockholder 2pts win @ 11/1 BetVictor This is very open but there is one here that I think is very interesting and that is the Mel Brittain trained Steel Stockholder. This horse is an 8 year old now but he has returned this season in form despite his poor run last time out. That can be excused as it came over 8f as his best form has come at 7f or under. His 2 previous runs to that were encouraging finishing 3rd on both occasions. He has now dropped to a mark of 66 which is below his last 2 winning marks of 72 and 68. His latest win came in April last year at Catterick from 72 in a 7f contest. Returning to 7f here is very much in his favour and the ground will suit. Mel Brittain has had a recent winner is he is the top trainer at this track in this race. David Allan isn't in the best of form but he does fairly well here and I think Steel Stockholder could go well today.

Re: CPO's Horse Racing Thread 3.40 Haydock - Stand My Ground 2pts win @ 9/1 Boylesports Going to give Stand My Ground a second chance here after a very disappointing effort at Newmarket. He ran a cracker on his return to action this season when finishing a close 2nd to Brae Hill at Doncaster. He didn't build on that effort at Newmarket but he may have found the ground a little too lively for him that day. I think he is worth another chance back on soft ground in much easier contest. David O'Meara and Daniel Tudhope are having a great time of things at the moment so I am hopping they can continue in that vein today with this horse.

Re: CPO's Horse Racing Thread 7.00 Fairyhouse - Little Fastnet 1pt EW @ 14/1 Ladbrokes This horse made her seasonal debut at Dundalk where she was was quite unlucky as she never got a run on the inside and had to switch. The jockey never gave her a hard time and let her coast home but I think stepping up in trip for this will bring about a better performance. The good ground will suit and David Wachman does well here and is in form. Wayne Lordan is back on board tonight which is a positive and this horse is well drawn in 10.

Re: CPO's Horse Racing Thread 3.05 Nottingham - Elle West 1pt win @ 25/1 Hills Don't fancy much today but had a small interest on this horse. She hasn't shown anything whatsoever in 7 runs but I am hoping a return to a sound surface and a drop to 6f for the first time might just bring about some improvement. She races here off 55 with the jockey taking off a further 7lbs so she could be dangerous here with so little weight on her back. Michael Easterby isn't in the best of form but does relatively well here.

Re: CPO's Horse Racing Thread 3.40 York - True Pleasure 2pts win @ 12/1 Bet365 I think Kalk Bay has to be of interest in this race after an eye-catching race last time out at Musselburgh and given his trainers record at this track but I am going to side with the hat-trick seeking True Pleasure. This horse has done nothing but improve since the start of last season having won from a mark of 48 back in July and won last time out from a mark of 72. She was up 5lbs that day having scored at Ayr but still managed to bolt up by 5 lengths from her new mark. She is up a further 6lbs today to a mark of 78 but she gets in this race off bottom weight and should be a danger to all. Her last 2 wins have come with some cut in the ground but she has no problem with fast ground as she does have 2 wins on good to firm ground to her name. Her overall profile is very consistent on turf with 5 wins from 12 runs and a further 2 places. This is by far the toughest race she will have ever contested but she is improving despite her age and I don't think she can be ruled out. James Bethell is 1 from 23 here, which doesn't exactly inspire confidence but I am happy to side with her as she is ultra consistent and bang in form.

Re: CPO's Horse Racing Thread 5.15 York - Eltheeb 1pt EW @ 16/1 Bet365 Eltheeb is yet to win over this distance but has come very close several times including at this track. His record here reads 2-5-4 with both runs over this distance resulting in defeats of less than 2 lengths on both occasions. He went mightily close over CD in May 2012 when beaten by the talented Franciscan by a head. Both runs this season have been very poor but I am hoping they will have put him sport on for this assignment. His highest winning mark has come from 73 but that head defeat to Franciscan came from a mark of 80. Today he races off 77 with the capable apprentice Eva Moscrop taking off a further 5lbs. Ground here will suit much better than it did at Thirsk on his latest run and I wouldn't be surprised to see this one go very close. He may be vulnerable to a stronger stayer in the closing stages but a return to form today from a workable mark might just see him go close.

Re: CPO's Horse Racing Thread 4.15 Chester - Stellar Express 2pts win @ 7/1 Ladbrokes Stellar Express won here last time out where he made all. He will find it much harder to dominate this field from stall 11 but I still think he will run a big race. Michael Appleby is in form and does well at the track as is Robert Winston. He has never won from a mark this high but his latest win was a career best.

Re: CPO's Horse Racing Thread 5.35 York - Mon Brav 3pts win @ 8/1 Ladbrokes I like Mon Brav in this. He won last time out and finished 2nd before that so he comes here in cracking form. Brian Ellison has his horses in good form and this horses last 2 runs over CD were very good finishing placed in 2 very competitive handicaps. He goes on any ground and I expect a big run.