Laying 0-1

foxinexile

The title says it all. I shall be Laying the 0-1 scoreline only. All bets are with Betfair, starting with £10 only as the money isn't really the target. I have a personal bet with a friend who says it is impossible to Lay 100 of the same score in a row. Never one to shy away from a challenge, I have taken him up on the task (and it is with the friend where the money lies!). I also happen to think that it will be very, very, very, very difficult to do but I'll give it a shot. First bet is ... 1) Braga vs Pacos Ferreira - £10 @ 27 (19th Jan, 17:00 K.O.)

Re: Laying 0-1

It could be done as long as you are very selective.
Agreed. In the interests of making it a challenge and not just a formality, I won't just select Barcelona Home games for example (they're currently on 85 matches since their last 0-1) but there is certainly a "pot" of teams who I think will help along the way. I have a couple of games ear-marked for selection during the week, should I get past today's hurdle, but I imagine the number of weekly selections will more likely resemble a trickle than a torrent.

Huh, that was close call... :eek Good luck with future bets! :ok
Yes, 88th minute equaliser for Napoli (and coming from Raul Albiol, of all players, with his first goal for them!), that was a close shave. Easy to say after the game has finished but perhaps it wasn't the best choice I could have made. I have a couple of Italian games in mind for Sunday should I make it past the Eredivisie game. Hopefully they'll be a little more "straightforward" (if it's possible to say a football match can ever be straightforward!) than Napoli.

Re: Laying 0-1 Have you tried placing your bets in-play? Odds for 0-1 significantly come in all the first half; if there is no goal in first 20 minutes, I believe those odds would be ~40. Of course, that way you would miss matches where there is an early goal, but the reward is bigger odds. Also, if away team scores first, odds will drop even more, so if you are convinced 0-1 is unlikely, you can get almost double better odds in that case.

Have you tried placing your bets in-play? Odds for 0-1 significantly come in all the first half; if there is no goal in first 20 minutes, I believe those odds would be ~40. Of course, that way you would miss matches where there is an early goal, but the reward is bigger odds. Also, if away team scores first, odds will drop even more, so if you are convinced 0-1 is unlikely, you can get almost double better odds in that case.
Thanks froment, interesting thoughts. For this thread I'm aiming more for the consecutive number of winning bets I can achieve, so I'm not paying too much attention to the odds I'm taking (hence the Lay odds of 170 for the Barcelona match; that would usually be out of my range unless I was placing significant money on it). However, I do agree with you that waiting 20 minutes or so for the odds to drop in-play would yield a greater profit long-term. Usually if I'm betting on the Correct Score market I'd put my Lay odds in before kick-off and see if it gets matched in-play. Eg, if I was betting on the Chelsea-West Ham game tonight for my own personal profit, I would have requested odds of 40 and see if it gets matched, rather than the 55 I took for this thread. I also agree with the idea of Laying 0-1 if the away team scores first, that is something I might look into for myself. I think 4/10 of the successful bets so far, the so-called underdog took the lead (great example is the Napoli game!), so it happens probably more often than expected. I will look into that in more detail when I get a chance. Thanks for the comments!

Sounds a good idea and ive only been on here browsing for a few days so im new' date=' but whatever you do... don't bet on Leicester playing away ;)[/quote'] With careful selection I think it's a scoreline that can be avoided (though of course, goals in football are random events and there is no such thing as a "sure" bet). If it's profit you're going for, froment makes a very good point a few posts above about placing a Lay in-play after 20 minutes or so, as the odds should have dropped somewhat from those available at kick off. As for avoiding Leicester away, yes that would lead to the poor house! 3/5 of their last aways have ended 0-1. To be honest, I never bet on them (shame as we've won our last nine) and I never bet on the league they're in, so I never touch anything in the Championship at present. I might have to re-think that next season though as it looks like we're Premier League bound, and I cannot imagine not placing bets on Premier League matches just because of my beloved LCFC!