** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Abu Dhabi HSBC Championship - January 16th - 19th

Aidymac

Will keep it brief this week, two players that look overpriced to me. Bernd Wiesberger Finished in a tie for 21st in this tournament last year after a bad first round of 74. Two-time tour winner that only missed 2 of 25 cuts last year, very consistent. Ricardo Santos Finished 4th in this event last year, looks under-estimated. Finished a creditable T16 in the Alfred Dunhill when last seen so is obviously playing well enough. Has won on tour in the past so does know how to win. Bernd Wiesberger - 5 Points each-way @ 50/1 Boylesports Ricardo Santos - 2 Points each-way @ 175/1 Spreadex ?Season Total - +105 Points

Re: Abu Dhabi HSBC Championship - January 16th - 19th I've decided to split my 20pt stake a little more thinly this week. D.Fichardt, top 10 finish, 1pt @ 25/1 SkyBet D.Fichardt, top 20 finish, 3pts @ 9/1 SkyBet The South African finished 1 off the bottom last week but I'm not too worried about that as one of the keys to this event is presence at the Volvo Golf Champions event, indicating no signs of rustiness. Whilst playing relatively poorly all round, his worst aspect was his putting & that doesn't worry me quite as much at a track where ball striking is the key. In fact, he ranks inside the top 25 in the last 3 months for ball striking & inside the top 10 for driving. Form in the desert is also a plus so his 32nd here last year as well as a 21st place at the end of season Dubai event makes him worthy of consideration. I don't expect him to win but do think the 9's on offer for a top 20 finish is too big. J.Luiten to win Abu Dhabi, 3pts EW @ 25/1 Stan James (1/4 odds 1-6) Joost has a great shot this week. 3rd last week proving his game in his great nick & putter was pretty hot too. GIR let him down but the fact that he's ranked 4th over the last 3 month for this stat suggests last week was just a blip. 6th here last year and 4th in the Dubai end of season spectacle confirm his liking for the UAE. That, combined with early season form & an excellent tee to green game all point towards him this week. Finally looks to be fulfilling his promise and, with 8 top 10's in 26 starts last year, he's finally being recognised as a big name on the European Tour. Ryder Cup year & Joost will be hoping he can get in amongst it with a big result here. MA.Jimenez to win Abu Dhabi, 1.5pts EW @ 66/1 Stan James (1/4 odds 1-6) You've just got to love Miguel & I think the easy going Spaniard could go well this week. Ticks all the boxes stats wise & finished a decent 15th last week after an opening round horror show. He isn't the longest off the tee but, with the rough nowadays, it's more important to keep the ball in play than smashing it miles, despite the 7,600 yards it plays. Has 2 top 5's here, albeit dating back a while but he's no 66/1 shot in my book. If he's in the mix, pressure rarely plays a part & that could be crucial come Sunday. P.Hanson to win Abu Dhabi, 2pts EW @ 40/1 Paddy Power (1/4 odds 1-6) The Swede is the one player in my team not to have teed it up last week. That said, he has plenty going for him, not least his excellent tee to green game. Can drive it a fair distance but accuracy is one of his major strengths. 4 times he's finished top 11 in the last 7 years suggest he's at home here. Had injury problems last year but his finish to the season, including 10th in Dubai in Nov, suggest he's on his way back in Ryder Cup year. Slipped to 53 in the world but Hanson is much better than that & I expect this to be a big year for the popular Swede. M.Manassero to win Abu Dhabi, 1.5pts EW @ 70/1 Stan James (1/4 odds 1-6) World ranked 45, 4 ET wins to his name. It's hard to believe he's only 20. Matteo is a danger in any event he's tees up in so surprised to see him go off at 70's here. Had a good week last week, finishing 10th & playing consistent stuff all week. 6th & 23rd last 2 years here so the track should hold no fears and he has the game to put in another good showing this week. Top 10 for ball striking last 3 months, with his driving being most impressive. Another who will be hoping he can push into the Ryder Cup team, every event is crucial & the sooner he can put a win on the board this year, the less pressure there will be. Should be another good week for the young Italian.

Re: Abu Dhabi HSBC Championship - January 16th - 19th Tournament preview: 1pt ew P.Casey to win Abu Dhabi Championship 40/1 Coral (1/4 1-5) One man who led the driving stats in the Volvo Champions last week was Paul Casey. He was third in the select field in driving accuracy, fourth in distance and second in greens in regulation but he holed nothing on the greens. Casey is a two time champion around here so he will have good memories of the place and he will know all the subtleties of the greens and I’d expect him to make a lot more putts here. If he can drive the ball as well as he did last week he’s entitled to be a major player once again in this tournament. Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/abu-dhabi-championship-betting-paul-casey-can-land-a-hat-trick-of-titles-in-abu-dhabi

Re: Abu Dhabi HSBC Championship - January 16th - 19th Top Continental European preview: 1pt ew T.Olesen Top Continental European 25/1 Stan James (1/4 1-4) I think it could be worth chancing someone at a big price here and that man is Thorbjorn Olesen. He has two top 10 finishes in two starts around here and does a lot of his practice out in the UAE so he should be at home on these courses. There was enough to suggest he is getting back to his better form at the back end of last season after a few injury complaints and on a track he seems to enjoy he looks a very big price at 25/1 in this market. Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/abu-dhabi-championship-betting-thorbjorn-olesen-can-use-past-success-to-be-top-continental-european

Re: Abu Dhabi HSBC Championship - January 16th - 19th Top South African preview: 1pt ew T.Aiken Top South African 9/1 Ladbrokes (1/5 1-3) Thomas Aiken is driving the ball well at the minute but isn’t holing a huge amount of putts but having not played last week he should have had enough time to work on his putting so he is all set to put in a decent run this week. If he continues to strike the ball well and back up his impressive recent tee to green stats then Aiken has the game to do some damage in this top South African market. Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/abu-dhabi-championship-betting-thomas-aiken-has-the-credentials-to-be-the-top-south-african-this-week

Re: Abu Dhabi HSBC Championship - January 16th - 19th

I've decided to split my 20pt stake a little more thinly this week. D.Fichardt, top 10 finish, 1pt @ 25/1 SkyBet D.Fichardt, top 20 finish, 3pts @ 9/1 SkyBet The South African finished 1 off the bottom last week but I'm not too worried about that as one of the keys to this event is presence at the Volvo Golf Champions event, indicating no signs of rustiness. Whilst playing relatively poorly all round, his worst aspect was his putting & that doesn't worry me quite as much at a track where ball striking is the key. In fact, he ranks inside the top 25 in the last 3 months for ball striking & inside the top 10 for driving. Form in the desert is also a plus so his 32nd here last year as well as a 21st place at the end of season Dubai event makes him worthy of consideration. I don't expect him to win but do think the 9's on offer for a top 20 finish is too big. J.Luiten to win Abu Dhabi, 3pts EW @ 25/1 Stan James (1/4 odds 1-6) Joost has a great shot this week. 3rd last week proving his game in his great nick & putter was pretty hot too. GIR let him down but the fact that he's ranked 4th over the last 3 month for this stat suggests last week was just a blip. 6th here last year and 4th in the Dubai end of season spectacle confirm his liking for the UAE. That, combined with early season form & an excellent tee to green game all point towards him this week. Finally looks to be fulfilling his promise and, with 8 top 10's in 26 starts last year, he's finally being recognised as a big name on the European Tour. Ryder Cup year & Joost will be hoping he can get in amongst it with a big result here. MA.Jimenez to win Abu Dhabi, 1.5pts EW @ 66/1 Stan James (1/4 odds 1-6) You've just got to love Miguel & I think the easy going Spaniard could go well this week. Ticks all the boxes stats wise & finished a decent 15th last week after an opening round horror show. He isn't the longest off the tee but, with the rough nowadays, it's more important to keep the ball in play than smashing it miles, despite the 7,600 yards it plays. Has 2 top 5's here, albeit dating back a while but he's no 66/1 shot in my book. If he's in the mix, pressure rarely plays a part & that could be crucial come Sunday. P.Hanson to win Abu Dhabi, 2pts EW @ 40/1 Paddy Power (1/4 odds 1-6) The Swede is the one player in my team not to have teed it up last week. That said, he has plenty going for him, not least his excellent tee to green game. Can drive it a fair distance but accuracy is one of his major strengths. 4 times he's finished top 11 in the last 7 years suggest he's at home here. Had injury problems last year but his finish to the season, including 10th in Dubai in Nov, suggest he's on his way back in Ryder Cup year. Slipped to 53 in the world but Hanson is much better than that & I expect this to be a big year for the popular Swede. M.Manassero to win Abu Dhabi, 1.5pts EW @ 70/1 Stan James (1/4 odds 1-6) World ranked 45, 4 ET wins to his name. It's hard to believe he's only 20. Matteo is a danger in any event he's tees up in so surprised to see him go off at 70's here. Had a good week last week, finishing 10th & playing consistent stuff all week. 6th & 23rd last 2 years here so the track should hold no fears and he has the game to put in another good showing this week. Top 10 for ball striking last 3 months, with his driving being most impressive. Another who will be hoping he can push into the Ryder Cup team, every event is crucial & the sooner he can put a win on the board this year, the less pressure there will be. Should be another good week for the young Italian.
Not a bad week in the end although could have been better halfway into today's rounds. Luiten finished 6th on his own to bring the place element in, whilst Fichardt was in a tie for 10th so the T20 safely in & the T10 yielding a small profit with 1/9th of stake. Hanson & Jimenez also in a tie for 10th after carding rounds of Evs & +1 respectively today. Manassero made the cut but never really challenged. 20pts staked, 54.64pts returned :ok