Australian Open 2014

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Pre-Season - January 5 2pts S.Williams to win 4 grand slams 13.00 SkyBet small bet on this for the season. Serena without injuries could potentially do this and I think 12/1 is a good price. She is as small as 1.73 to win the Aus and if she wins that Id imagine her odds will fall to somewhere around the 6-8/1 bracket. Last year she won 2 grand slams but without her injury she could of done more and I think this is going to be Serena's pinnacle of her career. Her best year ever.

Re: Australian Open 2014 2pts J.Thompson to beat J.Janowicz 4.80 BetVictor Nice bit of value here for the young gun. This guy looks a hot prospect and he nearly beat Gasquet this week losing on a third set tie-break 7-5 3-6 7-6 [7-4] and then last-night he easily beat Juan Monaco 6-4 6-2 in qualification. Janowicz is a top, top player but although he hits a sh*t load of aces on the hard court, his 1st serve lets him down alot on the surface. Last year here he had to come back from 2-0 down to beat 551st ranked Somedev Devvarman only to then go out to Almagro in straight sets. He will need to make sure his 1st serve % is high and if he does that he has a chance here. He also is an Aussie which means the whole crowd will be on his side.

Re: Australian Open 2014 3pts E.Makarova to beat V.Williams 2.40 Bet365 Makarova has been in good form on the hard-courts end of last year. In New Haven she got to the Quarter-finals where she beat Errani on the way with ease eventually going out to the winner of that event, Halep. She then did well in the US Open, again getting to the quarter-final beating the likes of Lisicki and A.Radwanska. She went out in the quarters to Na Li. She went out in Sydney this week to Navarro but that could show she has her mind set on this event, an event that last year she did well in getting to the QF and beating Kerber and Bartoli before succumbing to Sharapova. Venus is a good hard court player but she hasn't won as underdog since Tokoyo and she's lost to underdogs such as Lisicki (6-2 6-1) and Jie Zheng recently and her age could be creeping up on her. There's an 8 year swing on these two.

Re: Australian Open 2014 Early thoughts on quarter finalists... Nadal Del Potro Murray (not confident at all - think Kohlschrieber is excellent value) Tsonga Berdych (not very confident - think Karlovic could go some in that section) Ferrer Wawrinka Djokovic S. Williams Errani (not confident - Flipkens could be the one) Li Kvitova Jankovic Sharapova Radwanska Azarenka Need to now convert these thoughts into some bets... easiest way would be to back on betfair and then lay off at a later stage. Will post back when thought it up better and got some odds.

Re: Australian Open 2014 Very tough to call it seems, so just a couple of picks for me. Back Who Will Go the Furthest? - Juan Martin del Potro (vs. Andy Murray) for a 5/10 stake at 2.75 with Bet365 This price does not make a lot of sense to me. Murray has done next to nothing since coming back and I can't see him reaching the semis, while I wouldn't want to rule out an early exit either. The Australian Open might not be del Potro's favourite Grand Slam, but he looked in good nick in Sydney and has an easier draw than Murray, so there is only one option that I can go for here. Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/australian-open-2014-betting-juan-martin-del-potro-can-outshine-andy-murray-this-time-around Back Jo-Wilfried Tsonga to win 2nd quarter for a 2/10 stake at 5.00 with Bet365 Back Jeremy Chardy to win 3rd quarter for a 1/10 stake at 41.00 with Skybet I don't fancy Federer and Murray this time around, so Tsonga is the logical pick in the second quarter at this sort of price. The third quarter, on the other hand, could be the most surprising one - Berdych and Ferrer both look out of sorts - and Skybet seem to have overpriced Chardy, so I am going to have a small punt on the guy that did quite well here last time around. Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/australian-open-2014-betting-big-upsets-might-be-lurking-in-some-of-the-quarters Back Na Li to win Australian Open 2014 for a 1/10 stake at 16.44 with Pinnacle Back Maria Sharapova to win Australian Open 2014 for a 1/10 stake at 15.00 with Pinnacle Back Agnieszka Radwanska to win Australian Open 2014 for a 1/10 stake at 52.41 with Pinnacle Despite the dominance, I am just not willing to back Serena at 1.70 or so over two weeks, so I am going to go for three interest bets that I feel might have a chance in certain circumstances. Li has a great record in Melbourne, Sharapova surprised me by playing really well in Brisbane, and Radwanska's look a bit off to me. Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/australian-open-2014-betting-no-value-in-backing-serena-williams-to-win-in-melbourne

Re: Australian Open 2014 2 picks for the Australian Open ZAKOPALOVA+4 GAMESHANDICAP OVER STOSUR @ 1.85 on pinnaclesports Average start to the 2014 for Stosur was very lucky to escape few earlier matches making a lot of errors (vs. Mladenovic, etc.) and was beaten by Zakopalova just 2 days ago comprehensively. ISNER-DODIG OVER 42GAMES @ 1.85 on pinnaclesports Should expect a long close match, probably a 5-set match

Re: Australian Open 2014 Gave tennis betting a miss for a while, but going into this Aussie Open 2014 with 150pts & see where it takes us. Like the look of a couple of the matches so far,so here goes: Andreas Seppi to beat Lleyton Hewitt Aussie Open 1st Rd @ 5.00 Bet365(4/10) Love the look of this price on Seppi & havent a clue why he's such a dog in this match. Hewitt has hit a golden run of form recently beating Federer & Murray in the last couple of weeks but Seppi shouldnt be written off. H2H reads 3-3 & more importantly 2-1 lead for Seppi on the hard court meetings. I wouldnt read into Seppi's Hopman cup form(3 defeats) as a major concern. Another good bet would be the overs 33.5@ Paddy currently 1.80 but I'm on AS for the win. Igor Sijsling(-4.5 games) to beat Thanasi Kokkinakis Aussie Open 1st Rd @2.25 Paddypower(5/10) Massive step in class for Kokkinakis in this match.Recent form he has had some good wins over top 50 opponents Dodig & Chardy. How much we can read into them wins is another matter. Sijsling just had a narrow defeat vs Lu at Auckland & just feel he will have far too much for TK.5pts win Good Luck everyone with their picks :hope

Re: Australian Open 2014 And one from the Ladies side of the draw: Angelique Kerber vs Jarmila Gajdosova Over 17.5 games Aussie Open 1st Rd @1.80 PaddyPower(6/10) Do like the look of this match in the overs. In my opinion PP have their line a couple of points short so worth snapping up. H2H reads 2-0 lead for JG but not reading anything into that. Kerber will win but can see a close set that will take it over the 17.5 games. 6pts win

Re: Australian Open 2014 I'll put this up now as it starts soon. Andrey Golubev to beat Stanislas Wawrinka @ 15.00 Betfair Obviously Wawrinka did well here last year and nearly knocked out Djokovic, but even so I don't see any value in backing him at such a short price. Golubev spent the tail end of last season playing Challengers where he had some success, and so far this season he has fallen in qualifying for both Brisbane and Sydney. On the face of it he stands little chance in this match, but he has beaten Wawrinka before and for that reason alone I think he is worth a small stake.

Re: Australian Open 2014

I'll put this up now as it starts soon. Andrey Golubev to beat Stanislas Wawrinka @ 14.00 Betfair Obviously Wawrinka did well here last year and nearly knocked out Djokovic, but even so I don't see any value in backing him at such a short price. Golubev spent the tail end of last season playing Challengers where he had some success, and so far this season he has fallen in qualifying for both Brisbane and Sydney. On the face of it he stands little chance in this match, but he has beaten Wawrinka before and for that reason alone I think he is worth a small stake.
it doesnt start for over 24 hrs mate. just so u dont have to hurry mate

Re: Australian Open 2014 Andreas Seppi to beat Lleyton Hewitt Aussie Open 1st Rd Cannot see past Hewitt here I'm afraid, I'll be going for 3-0. He's returning serve very very well, struggling much less on serve, and more importantly starting to dictate one hell of a high %%% of rallies again. V Murray, he was often dictating play, with great depth often apparent. As he stated himself, he now has his movement back which for Hewitt to do anything is key. I think he'll make the 4th round this year, where sadly he will play Nadal. I could be wrong, but really fancy Hewitt to go well this year. My " banker " bet, is a Hewitt/ Monfils/ Nadal treble at around 1/2. Short prices sure, but its a ROI business right!

Andreas Seppi to beat Lleyton Hewitt Aussie Open 1st Rd Cannot see past Hewitt here I'm afraid, I'll be going for 3-0. He's returning serve very very well, struggling much less on serve, and more importantly starting to dictate one hell of a high %%% of rallies again. V Murray, he was often dictating play, with great depth often apparent. As he stated himself, he now has his movement back which for Hewitt to do anything is key. I think he'll make the 4th round this year, where sadly he will play Nadal. I could be wrong, but really fancy Hewitt to go well this year. My " banker " bet, is a Hewitt/ Monfils/ Nadal treble at around 1/2. Short prices sure, but its a ROI business right!
think you got a typo in bold there, mate. GL

Re: Australian Open 2014 Dodig to beat Karlovic @1.67 Ladbrokes The main reason I like this bet is the H2H which is 3-0 for Dodig. Karlovic looks like he doesn't like Dodig's style. Both players has great serves and can hold serve easily, but Dodig has better return and I expect him to break Karlovic serve more. Also, I expect Dodig to dominate rallies. As the match goes ahead Karlovic physical condition should be a problem. Nieminen to beat Sela @ 1.57 Sportingbet Personally I consider this bet a gift. Nieminen is a much better tennis player. I can't imagine how can Sela harm Nieminen. Youzhny to beat Struff @1.30 Sportingbet The Russian seems to be not in a very good form, but he always improves his play in big events. Although it will be a hard match and I consider his opponent tricky, I think that he will find the way to win the last point.

Re: Australian Open 2014 hello guys, long time ago i posted something here. i will try my best to give some good picks here. will be definitely a tough grand slam with a lot of tight matches in the first round. good Luck to everyone. i will start with picks for day 1. belinda bencic - kimiko date-krumm kimiko date-krumm (ml) @2.45 bwin 3/10 i know date-krumm is 43 years old, she will quit from professional tennis probably next year. but i watched her maches in brisbane and i have to admit that she still has the game to be a top 100 player regulary. especially here cosistence is impressive. maybe she doesn't have the strokes to trouble her opponents a lot but she is winning matches because she can play 1,5-2 sets on the same level. and she is experienced. for example against rogowska in brisbane. rogowska had break points in the first service game of date-krumm but she saved them all with good serves and nice combinations and then turned it around, broke in the next service game of rogowska and won the first set 6-3. could have been otherwise but her nerves were strong at important points. on the other side we have belinda bencic, very young and promising player. swiss girl won 2 of 3 junior grand slams last year where she competed (won wimbledon, roland garros and reached the qf in new york). couple of strong results on the itf circuit, too. she won all three q matches in melbourne without dropping a set, serving very well with a lot of aces (17 aces in three matches is a good stat for a women). she lost serve only three times in three matches. very, very good. other players losing service five times in one match for example. i am sure we will see bencic as a top 100 player in the near future, she is ranked #186 in the world at the moment. and the big deal is: she is 16 years old, damn hell. but i have to try the old japanese here. odds are looking too high here. date-krumm should be toughest opponent bencic had faced in melbourne this week. bencic has to confirm the results and perfomances here and consistency is a big problem for young players. furthermore date-krumm has to defend a third round here, last year she played very well, the surface suits her game well. not a big bet for me but date-krumm as a dog against a young gun like bencic could be a good shot. angelique kerber - jarmila gajdosova jarmila gajdosova+6.5 (game handicap) @1.90 unibet 3.5/10 jarmila gajdosova (ml) @11 unibet 0.5/10 of course you can not compare kerber in 2014 with kerber in 2010 but still: gajdsovoa is leading the h2h with 3-0. yes, one match was in 2004 and is not reliable here but i guess it will be still in kerbers head that she never won a set against gajdosova. and kerbers big problem is her mental strength. she lost matches from incredible positions because her head did not work after wasting a lead for example. she is mentally not so strong and this is the reason why she does not have the big big results at grand slams. gajdosova is playing at home soil, she is living in melbourne so she should be pumped and motivated, received a wild card from the tournament organizers. for me the handicap is a good bet here. i mean 6-3 6-3 would be a win. shame that i missed the early odds with +7 as the line but no big deal. +6.5 is still good enough to take it with a small stake. flavia pennetta - alexandra cadantu alexandra cadantu @4.30 expekt 1/10 pennetta retired at her match against bouchard in perth (hopman cup) with a wrist injury. the same injury was the problem in 2012. i don't know if she is ready to compete here. i heard that she rested her wrist the last two weeks, no practice sessions at all and no tournament of course after retiring. cadantu also with some health issues, she has problems with her shoulder. i try cadantu at a one ball book here. could be the wrong decision if she will retire here but i guess pennettas shape is more questionable because cadantu played a singles and doubles match and it looked okay. julia goerges - sara errani julia goerges+1.5 (set handicap) @1.93 pinnacle 6/10 this is a big bet for me. goerges has a very good offensive game, a lot of power and a very good serve. she played a decent tournament in sydney this week, winning a set against wozniacki. errani started okay, she lost to vania king in shenzhen and to pironkova in sydney. but her game is attackable, a lot of moonballs and her serve is her big problem. she will be under pressure here, i am sure goerges will have a lot of opportunities to break her serve. h2h is interesting here: on faster surfaces (hardcourt & grass) goerges is 1-1 against errani, both matches went to three sets. i am sure goerges will win a set here. big problem of goerges is her consistency. she can play a set like a top 10 player but then her level of tennis can drop top 150. and one set is more than realistic here. odds are dropping, but i try the set handicap. kevin anderson - jiri vesely jiri vesely (ml) @3.35 5dimes 3/10 i watched andersons match against johnson and the south african was pathetic. the only shot who worked was his serve but johnson returned very well. other things were horrible. his movement was poor, his shot selection justembarrassing. anderson had health issues, because of that he pulled out of the tournament in brisbane with an heavy stomach virus. he played auckland like i said and was really bad. now he is playing his second match against vesely who is a dangerous leftie with a huge game. i don't think the task will be easy for the favorite. i have to try the young czech here after playing decent tennis in chennai and sydney.

Re: Australian Open 2014 Back Monica Puig to beat Anna Tatishvili for a 6/10 stake at 1.84 with Pinnacle Contrasting starts to the season, but Puig should still have too much class for Tatishvili, who is a very good draw for her in the first round. She is the better player overall and she played decent tennis against both Flipkens and Vesnina, so I believe that she is going to win this more often than not, as Tatishvili is a step down from those two. Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/puig-vs-tatishvili-betting-monica-puig-to-find-her-way-through-to-the-second-round Back Klara Zakopalova to beat Samantha Stosur for a 3/10 stake at 2.76 with Pinnacle Fitness is the only issue here, otherwise the stake would be higher. As we all know, Zakopalova beat Stosur in straight sets just a few days ago, so this price doesn't make too much sense. Stosur tends to struggle on her own soil and this is a high-pressure situation, so this should be a very tough task for the home favorite. Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/zakopalova-vs-stosur-betting-klara-zakopalova-looks-value-to-beat-samantha-stosur-once-again Back J.Thompson/J.Janowicz - Over 36.5 games for a 4/10 stake 1.80 with Pinnacle Back Jordan Thompson to beat Jerzy Janowicz for a 2/10 stake at 3.85 with Pinnacle Thompson looked enough in the exhibition matches, while Janowicz lost horribly to Dolgopolov in Sydney, so this could be one of the big upsets of the first round. Even if Thompson fails to cope with the pressure and everything in the end, I expect the total games line to be covered here. Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/thompson-vs-janowicz-betting-the-young-australian-has-a-legitimate-chance-to-beat-jerzy-janowicz Back Lukas Rosol to beat Tommy Robredo for a 5/10 stake at 2.07 with Pinnacle Robredo is yet to play after retiring way back in the Shanghai Masters, so fancy Rosol at odds against. He is obviously no world beater, but he has a big game and a very good serve, so the conditions (if they are indeed a bit faster than before) should help him here to some degree. And yeah - it is never easy to come back after an injury, so returning straight to a Grand Slam is certainly not ideal for the Spanish veteran. Full preview here: http://www.punterslounge.com/rosol-vs-robredo-betting-lukas-rosol-should-have-the-edge-over-tommy-robredo-in-melbourne

Re: Australian Open 2014 Halep v Piter score after 2 games 2-0 Halep 11/8 Paddypower Halep regularly beats up lowly ranked opponents often winning in straight sets losing only a few games in the process. I believe that there is every chance of her winning the first two games. I'm therefore surprised to find that the price for a 2-0 lead is 13/8. I think it offers decent value.

Re: Australian Open 2014 anyone tell me a generally good site for tennis odds. I know there probably isn't one stand out one for tennis but one that is good. one as well that should let me bet abroad I am currently on holiday and betfair which I normally use at moment isn't letting me place bets.plus my skybet account isnt letting me mix cards so not them. thanks

anyone tell me a generally good site for tennis odds. I know there probably isn't one stand out one for tennis but one that is good. one as well that should let me bet abroad I am currently on holiday and betfair which I normally use at moment isn't letting me place bets.plus my skybet account isnt letting me mix cards so not them. thanks
Well if you can access Pinnacle, Bet365 or Paddy Power, you should be all set. BetVictor and Unibet may be the alternatives.

Re: Australian Open 2014 stanislas wawrinka - andrey golubev andrey golubev+2.5 (set handicap) @3.0 paddypower 2/10 odds are looking really high here. golubev is a dangerous player with a huge game. his problem is consistency. i don't think that he can defeat wawrinka in a best of five match but taking one set in the first round of a grand slam? wawrinka is famous for having problems with lower ranked opponents in the early rounds of big tournaments. if we consider that a guy like wawrinka, as a seeded player, has to face lower ranked opponents in the first round of grand slams he only won 3 of his last 8 first round matches at grand slams with a clean 3-0. he lost sets to guys like gensse, stakhovsky, cipolla or de bakker. i guess golubev is in the same category, maybe even more dangerous with a good serve and a decent forehand. i think golubev is a talented shotmaker. h2h is 1-1. golubev def. wawrinka in 2011 in cincinnati. worth a try. jeremy chardy - jesse huta-galung over 31 (total games) @1.78 pinnacle 7/10 two big serving guys. both has a limited game, more ballbashing, chardy definitely a way more talented than his dutch opponent but huta-galung can show up as a decent player, too. i don't think chardy is able to compete three sets at the same level. he has many ups and downs in his game. i think odds are good enough to take here. would be surprised if chardy can pull this out in three sets. and even if he does, i think one tie break at least is realistic. 7-6 6-3 6-3 would be a cashback. for me this is worth a big bet.

Re: Australian Open 2014 4pts E.Gulbis [-6.5 games] to beat J.Monaco Evens PaddyPower Monaco just isn't a very good hard court player. In his last 9 hard court matches he has won just 2. He has also had some stomach problems apparently. Ironically last year he beat Gulbis 3-0 in this event but I think it will be alot different this time. I fancy Gulbis to win 3-0/3-1 and so the handicap at evens seems a decent price

Re: Australian Open 2014 4pts I.Karlovic Vs I.Dodig - First set tie-break [Yes] 2.25 Bet365 These two are both massive servers. Half of Karlovic's matches on the big stage have gone to a first set tie-breaker. He rely's heavily on his serve as to be honest that's all he has. Dodig is also very reliant on his serve however he is younger and is much better on other aspects of his game. Last time these 2 played, the first set went to a tie-break. In-fact so did the second set. I fancy Dodig here but hopefully it will be a solid first set for both servers.