** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

2013 Melbourne Cup 5th Nov

Re: 2013 Melbourne Cup 5th Nov Goes without saying really but those horses up with the pace and a lowish draw will have an advantage on a turning track against a big field. Looking through some of the replays of previous years, those near the pace tend to stay in and around the places despite not really having the form to do so (at least IMO). On that basis alone I wouldnt be surprise to see Brown Panther involved at the finish which is saying something from me because Im not really a fan of the horse and generally wouldnt associate him with this class of race (albeit it isnt exactly the strongest of G1's!). Another horse that might enjoy a decent passage is Sea Moon from the same connections as last years winner. Given the way the horse raced up with the pace to win the trial (thanks for the replays btw Ted!) I think she could be good enough to get involved. Of those that might race a bit further back in the pack, Dandino could be quite interesting as he has some top international form and again a decent draw which can hopefully get him into a good position to strike. I agree with some of you guys about the dark horse in Voleuse De Coeurs. LTO was very impressive and a repeat of that form would have her bang there in my eyes, but like Roberto, the draw and where she will be pitched throughout the race puts me off. I would also want to see that form backed up before backing her for a race of this nature, especially for new connections.

Re: 2013 Melbourne Cup 5th Nov Almost there! Really excited. For me this is the race I'm looking forward to the whole year. The buzz before a Melbourne Cup is second to none. Great to have all the info here in this thread. Hope to be there next year myself. Going to bed now to be more or less fit comes 4am but probably hard to find sleep cause of the poor excitement I feel. I'm sure a couple of you guys here in the forum get up - or even stay up - as well? Enjoy the race and good luck whatever you bet anyway! :ok

I've gone with Dandino @ 11/1 Bet365 Had a productive year so far with 2 decent 2nd's in the UK before winning at the American St Ledger at Arlington over 14f. Ran really well in the Caulfield Cup a few weeks ago and was perhaps unlucky not to win. I don't see any issue with him staying the 2m and he must have a good chance off a handy weight. Ryan Moore in the saddle is also a positive and should hopefully learn from the experience of riding in this last year.

Re: 2013 Melbourne Cup 5th Nov I'm with Simenon. His Ascot Gold Cup form suggests he has the class to win this and he looks plotted up to me. Mullins has only sent one over before, I think. Holy Orders - and it all went pear shaped. This time all has gone sweetly and Simenon had a lovely prep race. The draw is fine, the trainer is world class and the Irish know how to win this race. I listened to Mullins being interviewed about Simenon's chances and he sounded very hopeful. Anyone know where we can watch the race. Got a link?

Re: 2013 Melbourne Cup 5th Nov Melbourne Cup: Brown Panther, 16/1 & Voleuse De Coeurs, 14/1 & Royal Empire, 16/1, all e/w, with >boylesports, who offer five places. Brown Panther won the two mile Group 2 Goodwood Cup in impressive fashion two runs ago. He tracked the leaders until about 1½f out when he went to the lead. He finished very well to win by 3½L. Second place that day, Ahzeemah, won a Group 2 nto and finished second in the Irish St Leger after that, while third place, Atlano has won a Group 1 since. Lto he ran over an inadequate trip to keep him ticking over before traveling over to Australia. Owner Michael Owen has been positive about his trip over and his training since so it would seem he is in good order and he should run a big race. He likes to be up with the pace which is an advantage and his draw in stall 6 is perfect. Jockey Richard Kingscote has won seven times and placed three times from 12 rides on Brown Panther. Voleuse De Coeurs won the Irish St Leger lto by an eased 6L. The way he put the race to bed in a matter of strides and how he finished strongly was very impressive. The trip won't be a problem as he won the Irish Cesarewitch in 2012 by 10L. The ground will suit. The draw hasn't been ideal with VDC coming out of stall 21. He usually stays off the pace early so the draw should allow him to hopefully get a nice position in midfield. Talented young jockey James McDonald, who finished second in this race last year in his first ride in The Cup, is a big plus in the saddle. Royal Empire won over an extended 13f in the Geoffrey Freer Stakes at Newbury three runs ago. He finished second in his next two races, both over 12f. Excuses can be made as to why he didn't win both races but they were both good runs. He steps up in trip to two miles for the first time but he should improve for the extra few furlongs. The way he finished at Newbury suggests he will be better the further he goes and he should run a big race. The ground will be ideal. He comes out of stall 11 which should enable him to get a nice position behind the leaders which is what he usually does. Trainer Saeed Bin Suroor has been talking up Royal Empire's chances and has said this is his best chance of winning The Cup. Top Aussie jockey Kerrin McEvoy is a big plus in the saddle. He is quite sweet on RE's chances and has said the horse is in good form since arriving in Australia.

Re: 2013 Melbourne Cup 5th Nov Europeans clearly dominating the Cup once again, given the fact the winner was formerly trained by Sir Michael Stoute, while the next five behind are all either UK or Irish based. Thought Simenon would win it when he cantered around the home turn on the bridle. Mount Athos ran a huge race from the wide draw, Red Cadeaux is an unbelievable horse. You simply have to love him. Runs his heart out and again 2nd in the Cup. Didn't fancy the winner particularly, wasn't a price for me, 6/1 or what was he SP in the end? But great for Gai Waterhouse, her first Cup, and simply a great ride by horse and jockey. Have to watch the race again, but my initial feelings are that McEvoy gave Royal Empire not the smartest of rides, wasting the good draw to settle almost last and then being forced to battle for position when it mattered and being forced to turn wide. Back to bed now.

Re: 2013 Melbourne Cup 5th Nov Not one I would have gone for either at the prices and on the back of only running 10 days ago. Brown Panther did what I expected but faded in the straight, although it has been reported that he has suffered lacerations to his front legs which sounds quite nasty! Dandino looked like he was picking up for a bit there but emptied according to Ryan Moore. Sea Moon was just disappointing.