** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Olympiacos v Benfica > Tuesday November 5th

[TABLE=class: couponTable, width: 617]

[TR=class: row0, bgcolor: #F0F0F0] [TD=class: firstColumn]Olympiacos v Benfica (19:45 BST)[/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd, align: center]8/5[/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd, align: center]12/5[/TD] [TD=class: selectionBestOdd, align: center]2[/TD] [TD=class: bppWidth bpp, align: center]101.43 %[/TD] [/TR] [/TABLE]

• 2 weeks later...

Re: Olympiacos v Benfica > Tuesday November 5th I'm going to take almost the same bets as I did in the first meeting of these teams. Reasons are same, these teams can score and concede. First game was a 1-1 draw and quite rainy, I think the rainy factor was affecting the playing quality. Weather forecast is telling it's 21C and no rain tonight, ideal conditions in Piraeus. Expecting more goals from Olympiacos in front of their home crowd, but I think they can concede also. Olympiacos coach urges his team not to be over-confident and take it as seriously as they can. Benfica have to play definitely a better game to achieve a result in Athens. Both teams are in good shape, no major missings. BTTS@ 1,80 Olympiacos WIN@ 2,35 on local bookmaker.

Re: Olympiacos v Benfica > Tuesday November 5th Decisive match to decide which team will advance into the next stage of the CL. It is almost consensual that PSG is going to grab the first spot so it’s left to Olympiakos and Benfica to fight for the second place. We could also say that whoever wins today will have almost the job done as winning against Anderlecht will suffice to qualify regardless the result against PSG. So not only both teams will fight hard to win today but at the same time both know that not losing will allow the two of them to stay with good chances to go through. This could lead to a more cautious approach. Olympiakos play at home in front of their passionate fans and will certainly take the initiative. Two weeks ago in Lisbon they were the better team before the heavy rain started and the pitch was converted in a swimming pool. Benfica managed to equalise from a corner kick showing once again the weakness from Oly defenders and GK to face this type of situations ( I recall PSG also scoring from corner kicks in Athens). I agree that they should be considered favourites as they have an almost fully-fit squad, they are showing good form and they have the home advantage. Although I feel they are being a little bit over estimated here. In spite of all this I believe in a quite balanced match. Benfica is slowly improving and today they will have a much more conservative style of play than in Lisbon. Their defence will be positioned 10 meters behind in comparison with the first match which will benefit the style of play of Benfica’s CB. They are strong in the aerial duels but they suffer when they have several meters behind and they have to run. On the other hand Markovic will start from the beginning as he is fully recovered from injury. This is great news for Benfica as, despite of the fact he was a kind of injury prone player so far, he showed great skill in the form of goals and assists every time he played this season. I think that waiting for Olympiakos to go on the attack and take advantage of the fact that they will open up a bit and relying more on counters will suit Benfica just fine as I suspect that they consider the draw a good result. The general belief in Benfica’s camp is that they expect to take something out of the last game against PSG at home and thus achieving enough points to go through the next stage. Olympiakos is probably going to field the same starting XI than in Lisbon while Benfica might introduce holding midfielder Ruben Amorim to give more consistency and capability of pressure in the centre of the field. As said above Markovic is also a probable change either playing behind the striker Cardoso (less likely) or as right winger leaving the left one for Gaitan. Strikers of both teams (Mitroglou and Cardozo) are showing great form lately and their definition skills could probably decide this game. As I consider this to be a very balanced match with the draw being the most likely result I find value in this handicap line for Benfica. Benfica +0,25 (AH) 1,93@Sbobet

Re: Olympiacos v Benfica > Tuesday November 5th I would beware with the overs here. I don't think they will go all out and try to score a goal more. It's much more important not to lose this match, than to win, and i will go for under 3 goals, medium-high stakes. I also think Benfica won't loose, so X2 is also an option, or any kind of handicap on Benfica.

Re: Olympiacos v Benfica > Tuesday November 5th I would agree your prediction Drac, somehow Olympiakos dont give me the confidence as I have seen recaps of their CL matches, and they seemed like a lucky little bunch, should have conceded 7 additional goals in last 2 matches. But the fact is Mitroglou is THE inform striker, converting any even small chances into goals. Benfica have restructured the team a bit, and they are finally putting together the "first eleven" as they have rotated heavily during the start of the season (due to some injuries and due to many newcomers getting a chance). I believe Jesus has crystalized his vision of the starting eleven, with Gaitan and Markovic speading through wings i think Olympiakos defence should have too much work on their hands. I do expect both teams to score (mainly due to Mitroglou´s form and Benfica´s attacking potential) and i just might go for the overs here. As has been metioned before me, Oly does seem to concede a lot of set piece goals, so I wouldnt be too shocked if any of Benficas CBs scored a header. Might cover both Luisao and Garay, just need to be sure they both start. the odds are around 12 for Garay and 15 for Luisao anytime scorer at bet365.

Re: Olympiacos v Benfica > Tuesday November 5th Olympiakos are flying high in the Greek league, sitting on top with 9 wins and 1 draw from 10 games. Morale should be high, and they were very close to getting a 1-0 win in Portugal, you would expect them to get a result against Benfica at home. Benfica haven't won any of their last 7 Champions League away games, they really have a miserable record away from home. PSG are going to win the group, so this is a huge match for both sides, but the Greek crowd will be a big advantage. Both sides are nearly at full strength also. Olympiakos Draw No Bet - 4 Points @ 1.67 Bet Victor

Re: Olympiacos v Benfica > Tuesday November 5th I think we have to remind ourselves that both teams faced each other a couple weeks ago. We cannot look into this game without looking back to the game in Lisbon. Besides getting a poor result, Benfica pulled a poor performance as well. Olympiakos could perfectly win that game! They went 1-0 up and they missed a 2-0 because the ball stopped in the water "pool". A mistake from Roberto gives 1-1 and that's it. We all know that Benfica away is terrible and their performance is far from what they did last season. 7 straight defeats away from home is their record in CL. They are going to play against a team that has the advantage of playing at home and if Benfica couldn't win in Lisbon will they win in Piraeus? Not impossible I know, but the way they are performing this season to date, I wouldn't put my money on them today...

Re: Olympiacos v Benfica > Tuesday November 5th I wouldn't be keen to put money on Benfica in their current shape. They may only be three points behind Porto but they haven't been playing well and with their CL record away from home I wouldn't be confident. Although Benfica won at the weekend the 3-0 their performance was less than convincing as Markovic looks like their only spark at the moment with others under performing and Salvio out injured. The first goal was a great long range strike from Cardozo, the second was an own goal and the third just a good piece of play from Markovic. They rarely looked like causing the Academica keeper trouble and if the opposition weren't so toothless in attack it would have been a close game. I don't really fancy anything in this game as I know little about Olympiakos but if you were looking at the win markets I wouldn't bet on Benfica in this form away from home.

Re: Olympiacos v Benfica > Tuesday November 5th You should have watched Benfica - Olympiakos then. Benfica were very, VERY lucky to have escaped with a draw. If Olympiakos play as good as 2 weeks ago, and boosted by the home crowd, I can only see one winner. However, I feel Benfica might score once, at least. Very attacking team and needs to win, so they need to score. BTTS @ 1.83 looks very solid.

Re: Olympiacos v Benfica > Tuesday November 5th

Olympiakos are flying high in the Greek league, sitting on top with 9 wins and 1 draw from 10 games. Morale should be high, and they were very close to getting a 1-0 win in Portugal, you would expect them to get a result against Benfica at home. Benfica haven't won any of their last 7 Champions League away games, they really have a miserable record away from home. PSG are going to win the group, so this is a huge match for both sides, but the Greek crowd will be a big advantage. Both sides are nearly at full strength also. Olympiakos Draw No Bet - 4 Points @ 1.67 Bet Victor
1-0. Benfica had plenty of the ball, couldn't do anything with it. Solid defensive display from the Greek outfit.

Re: Olympiacos v Benfica > Tuesday November 5th Absolutely brilliant evening by Oly goal keeper... With more focus in the finish, Benfica should be 2-3 goals up. Oly as always manages to squeeze the single chance in. I believe they will be trashed by the "bigger" teams. Olympiacos is rolling on a luck coaster, and the fall should be painful.