** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

£20 a week challenge

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Re: £20 a week challenge Fab thread Ross and excellent profits, the obvious question is why limit yourself to £20 a week? That ROI is to die for! p.s. That question's not clear having re-read it. What I meant was, if you have a bad start to the week aren't you limiting yourself to smaller stakes on horses you may consider to be better bets? What happens if you fancy one and have run out of cash? Just wondering what the logic for sticking to £20 was.

Re: £20 a week challenge Kithanga its basically a way I think is an effective money management tool. For me its taking what is a pragmatic approach to something that is something very emotional for many (me included). I've looked at this at a number of different ways over the years and believe this sort of limit is the best way to manage losses. Ok the majority of weeks leave the funds in and then betting 25% of the bank would then have created some massivly impressive scores but if theres no limit to withdraw then the profit is sucked out by subsiquent losses. ie the week 9 finished 0.31+. basically break even. I made the profit on the Monday and had I left it in the bank would have lost the lot by the end of the week. Now my roi if my calc is right profit/investment x 100 will be close to 119%? But a lot to do with that is that a couple of trash weeks are covered by limiting losses to a maximum of 20. Shoild I have set the limit at 200 a week I technically would have earned an average monthly wage in 8 weeks with a maximum exposure of 200 per week. Whilst big money is usually made in this game with big balls and big steaks im trying to prove that money can be made without a huge risk. Whilst £190 isn't breaking the bank for a maximum exposure of 20 a week its pretty dam good I think? The way I approach each week is how much am I HAPPY to lose? If it goes in the first 2 days so be it I can wait till next week. What I can't hack is looking at a 10/1 umming and arrrrring about it and leaving it in the hope that I find a better price later on in the week and seeing it home by 5 lengths. Errr I think that covers it?

Re: £20 a week challenge Ross, I seem to have (unintentionally) struck a nerve. I was trying to get some conversation going which seems hard to do at times on these forums. The question was about the concept & thinking behind sticking to a weekly amount, not about the amount itself. I was interested to understand more, that's all. The thread is good and the ROI is exceptional and I said as much. I now understand your reasoning but will keep from asking anything further. K

Re: £20 a week challenge Kithanga sorry if you thought I was offin my reply Essentially its a bit of fun semi serious way of limiting losses. I'm happy to bet 20 a week at the moment and lose it all. If I find picks I like I back em. If they let me down early on and the 20 goes then its hard luck on me and I simply dont bet till the next week. The aim is to obviously go through out the week and have a bet most days but I find it better to back and have no regrets than to wait for something else. How would you do it if limited to a set amount in a week?