** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

Bad losing runs

Didn't really want to bring a negative subject to the forums but at the moment I'm on such a bad run, which has been going on since Cheltenham although I did well at Aintree. Just wondering what are some of the longest losing runs people have been on? My confidence is at an all time low after Royal Ascot, last Saturday I had two 2nds (16/1 and 12/1) so I thought ok, I'll be due some luck at Royal Ascot. No, more bad luck. Had nine 2nds in total all week, with just two winners, Remote and No Nay Never. I backed Toronado, who imo would of won if he wasn't hampered, then I also backed Shea Shea, 2nd who probably should of won. Montiridge, Simenon, Sandiva, Tiger Cliff. The list goes on for the amount of 2nds. Then also had Buick ride a stinker on The Fugue, De Sousa on Albasharah and yesterday it was topped off by Ektihaam slipping. Don't want to go on like a broken record, but just really fed up of being confident in my selections until I'm watching the race, where it just seems everything is going against me right now. Just want to know about other peoples bad losing runs really, so I can get out this one myself. :)

Re: Bad losing runs Horrible stuff that mate. It feels worse when they're being nailed on the line constantly etc but in reality it's better that you're picking out horses going close than them all tailing off. Keep doing what you're doing and they'll come I'm sure. I've had three horrible festivals in Cheltenham, Aintree and Ascot. It just comes from picking horses who look ideal for races and in form...on a general Tuesday that's often good enough, but in reality there are often double-figures of horses at these top-class festivals who hold strong claims so it's no great surprise there are losing runs. Only got to look at Tom Segal this week.

Re: Bad losing runs Times like this that records of bets really help. What's maybe interesting is to see whether this run is balancing out an exceptional one. Maintaining large percentage success isn't viable for the majority, don't beat yourself up too much. It'll come again, but be sure to keep an eye on the bottom line. Profit or interest is why people bet imo. I'm assuming you consider the first of a greater importance, going by the thread. That's not me having a dig. I'm just trying to give you an answer that reflects what you want to happen :)

Re: Bad losing runs It happens to everyone and I think going close makes it even worse! There are 2 things you can do: 1. Abstain for a while and get your head together. Then when you feel it is the right time - come back. 2. Cut down on your bets and aim for at most 1 selection per day. Forget the price. Winning will soon build your confidence back up. When you are winning you can deal with it easily but dealing with losing is difficult. Its so easy to chase and your judgement and confidence go out the window This month has been bad for me by all accounts due to my having too many bets. At the major festivals the racing is very competitive. It is much easier on a normal week day to pick a winner or two.

Re: Bad losing runs Thanks for the feedback guys. I am taking a small break but will have a go next Saturday, like some of you have said the fact my Horses have been running good races and coming close to winning shows I'm on the right selections. But it's just so frustrating when so many things go against you, it feels like you are getting constantly mugged off, and like I said Ektihaam yesterday literally topped my week off.

I'm in the same boat, last 3 weeks have been poor, ascot was poor, battle of Marengo let me down for a saver treble, and I had a number of near misses, but my ten to follow gave 3 winners and I only backed one of them Thinking of a break but Windsor draws me in and next weekend is their 3 day meeting

Re: Bad losing runs Bathtime For Rupert recently hit a big Lucky 15. 'Persistance is the key', he said. I follow that mantra and so should everyone else who's more than just a casual punter. You had the confidence when you were backing winners, you have confidence now even though they are not coming first and you need to maintain that confidence. Perhaps shorten your stakes a bit but once you start hitting the winners you'll be smiling again!