** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Bangladesh Premier League

Big Alf

The circus rolls into another country with the Billy Smart's Bangladesh Premier League hitting off tomorrow. With the PCB not issuing NOC's then the BPL is not down with OPP with all Pakistan players being withdrawn from the competition. Teams are frantically trying to plug in the gaps left by these withdrawals so god knows what the competing squads will look like, so no point looking at the outright odds yet. Despite being 'burned' by the Pakistani withdrawals (Akmal, Gul, Mahmood, Ajmal) Barisal still have a pretty strong squad including Hodge, Mustard, Narine and a handful of the Banga's Internationals. Given the quality of Pakistan players they had acquired they must have a bit of cash now floating around to bring new faces in. Chittagong seem to be pretty unaffected and boast Mahmudullah, Tait, Bopara, Islam, Oram, Huissain and ten Doeschate. Luke Wright and Owais Shah line up for Dhaka. Alex Hales seems to be the Chris Gale of the paper thin Duronto squad. Rest of the teams, not much to go on....

Re: Bangladesh Premier League Cheers for getting something up Alf. I think Hales withdrew the other didn't he? Or was just on the basis that the Renegades made the final? I only heard 2nd hand info. I think I'm going to give this whole tournament a miss though. Fraught with financial danger for me I think!

Re: Bangladesh Premier League Yeah thanks Alf, we all meet again ! Only just seen the thread - too late ! - after getting on: 1/10 dhaka 3.1 betfair 0.5/10 barisal 5.0 betfair Heard second hand that big Kieran P had signed for dhaka and they at least have some recognised batting depth. On paper Barisal have a top drawer bowling attack. I thought it was worth a go in case diplomacy wins the day and the pakistanis can play. Runs for a long while ( each team plays all others twice i think ) so there is a chance i suppose. Frankly this comp could be anything but had to have an interest with the other two winding up at the weekend. Sylhet have got Best and Andre Russell who have taken some wickets in the carribean. Plus Mushfiqur who i think is the bangla national team captain and gloveman. Tanos i too thought i had read that Hales had withdrawn. Bring your gear, you might get a game !

Re: Bangladesh Premier League Best, Narine, Pollard and Russel have been named in the WI ODI squad so I don't think they will be there. But I did hear the rumour about Pollard being signed up... Strange one, have to wait and see :\ Just realised Bopara is in India with England too. I think we might be in for a few surprises ala Hales-esque walks out in to the middle! Will watch and wait and hope for a few short price gubbings I think.

Re: Bangladesh Premier League 1st Match - Channel 843 on Sky [TABLE=class: inningsTable]

[TR=class: inningsHead] [TD]Dhaka Gladiators squad [/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD=class: inningsDetails, colspan: 2] Mashrafe Mortaza*, Anamul Haque†, JJ Cobb, TM Dilshan, CJ Liddle, Litton Das, KS Lokuarachchi, Mahbubul Alam, BAW Mendis, Mohammad Ashraful, Mosharraf Hossain, Raqibul Hasan, Saqlain Sajib, OA Shah, Shakib Al Hasan, Soumya Sarkar, DI Stevens, AC Thomas, LJ Wright [/TD] [/TR] [/TABLE] [TABLE=class: inningsTable] [TR=class: inningsHead] [TD=width: 10][/TD] [TD]Khulna Royal Bengals squad [/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD=class: inningsDetails, colspan: 2] Dolar Mahmud, Farhad Reza, SM Harwood, Mithun Ali†, Mizanur Rahman, Nabil Samad, Nazimuddin, Sanjamul Islam, Shahadat Hossain, Shahriar Nafees, MH Wessels [/TD] [/TR] [/TABLE] Dhaka squad news Mendis & Dilshan in Oz with SL Thomas still with the scorchers Luke Wright not playing first game. Only playing three matches before leaving to join England in NZ. Josh Cobb who was MoM in the FP Final in 2011 is in Dhaka but not having a good time of it, bored and jetlagged :rollin Surely no one is backing Dhaka at 1.35? Cheeky lay might be in order.

Re: Bangladesh Premier League Laid Dhaka after their power play at 1.16. Order looked a bit thin after Shah but he seemed to find his level today. Realised after about 10 mins I wouldn't be keeping that money. Although poor old Khulna only had 11 players available. Is going to be pretty hard to predict who is playing in any given game isn't it ? Am starting to think the overseas signings are largely a notional concept in this comp. If Dhaka get a few of their names together at one time they will look ok. Can't read too much into them hitting 200 against such an understrength team though. After four innings it looks like, unlike the Caribbean gig, this could be high scoring, at least on this Dhaka wicket. Maybe some overs on the runs markets. See how Saturday's games go.

Re: Bangladesh Premier League Would love to know how many players have hit 80 in a T20 game and still been on the losing side. Interesting game though, Rangpur look a handy little outfit, and Dhaka don't exactly have a potent attack. Will definitely continue to oppose them defencing totals in the future. Can't get a price anywhere on the outrights now. A piece taken from Cricmisinfo which doesnt make things clear at all, are the players in the second paragraph signing for Duronto or just coming to the BPL in general? "Duronto Rajshahi have added Simon Katich, Moeen Ali, Ben Edmonson, Jehan Mubarak, Dilshan Munaweera and Rizwan Cheema in their list of foreign players to fill in for the Pakistani players. Among the other players likely to replace them are Brett Lee, Lahiru Thirimanne, Dilshan Munaweera and Sachitra Senanayake. Mohammad Nabi is understood to be signed up by the BPL governing council to be distributed to one of the franchises. " With Iqbal and Islam and everyone's favourite number 10 Hasan, that really looks quite a solid unit. No one out there wanting to get there fingers burnt though!

Re: Bangladesh Premier League Not many, would be my guess ! I saw that same article and was also a bit confused. I eventually interpreted that the players in the first para. are for Duronto, the ones in the second para. are just coming in generally. Duronto made the semi-final last year apparantly. Katich is a great catch, a class above. Maybe Alex Hales will make a surprise appearance ! Agreed, got to be keeping a close eye out for these lay opporunities. Unfortuante to miss the Chittagong one, and there was a five minute spell when I thought Rangpur actually had a chance today. No doubt there will be others for us. Bit easier for me in this comp versus the Carribean one, missed half the games as they started at midnight UK time. Be interesting to see how prices have moved when the outrights come back up ( where have they gone ?! ). Duronto could be our new CCC ! :D Khulna are 13/8 on betfair tomorrow against Barisal, might be interesting because they managed tp put up some runs against Dhaka the other day and Barisal didn't seem to know what to do with their bowling.

Re: Bangladesh Premier League I'm a bit miffed by at Duronto game. Farad Hossain - 2 overs, 1 maiden 1/5 Was their any reason why he didn't bowl out his overs when the part timers went for 74 runs in 27 balls? Couple of days break now, hopefully give time for all the squads to settle down?

Re: Bangladesh Premier League Hmm, perhaps injured ? Or some confused captaincy. I wish he would have bowled out, got on Duronto at 1,000 for 2 quid before the final over started ! Yeah a break is for the best I reckon - players can get to know one another etc. Perhaps the outright odds will re-emerge ?

Re: Bangladesh Premier League I think Rangpur Riders are going to be my CCC for this competition :rollin I like the Bangladshi spine of Kayes, Hossain and Razzak, and the O'Briens have been joined by James Pattinson who is playing tomorrow according to the official BPL twitter feed. Fidel Edwards will join them later in the competition. They remind me a bit of Brisbane in that they are quite an understated but solid unit. They coughed up 200 runs first time out against Dhaka but they werent the first and they won't be the last to do that. They chased quite impressively I thought in that match, especially the 5th wicket stand of 118 between O'Brien and Hossain. Given Chittagong's previous I don't see why they should be 1.5 favs here, and think the Riders are a nice bet @ 2/1. Still not any outrights around, have stuck a speculative tenner up on the Riders outright at 20's. Not holding my breath though!

Re: Bangladesh Premier League Been looking but can't find any confirmed team news for tomorrow ( apart from the welcome update that Fidel Edwards has landed safely ! ). Agree nice price on Rangpur. Might take them in a double with Dhaka who I think could have too much for Duronto if they are still down to the bare bones. Will leave it til the morning I think and see if there is any more info then. 4.20 at Ladbrokes just now when I looked.

Re: Bangladesh Premier League Well no Pattinson but a nice surprise seeing Edwards and Mascharenas in the line up. In a competition of this quality their calibre really does shine through. Imagine if Pattinson does make an appearance that would be some attack alongside Razzak. Got my 19/1 matched on Betfair on the outright. More than happy with that as I see this very much like the Carribean T20, one side well ahead and the rest all able to beat each other. Comfortable win for the Riders there and a really well judged chase with Hossain having another fantastic knock. Hoping Kayes can find some sort of form at the top of the order to add a bit of stability, but as against Dhaka, they showed they can put runs on the board even with 3 or 4 wickets down. Will look to lay some low odds on the Duronto game, their matches have been 'interesting' so far to put it nicely!

Re: Bangladesh Premier League Missed out on Rangs today, wickets already down by the time i could look. bit of a shame. Should have just got on them last night and then had the option to roll into dhaka rather than dithering over team news for the second match. Oh well, nice pick mate :) Also good work on the outright. Would not want to be on the other side if that tenner ! Dimi turning up was a treat. As they say, bowlers win you cricket matches and that attack looks decent for this comp. Took a small lay of dhaka but they seemed to have it under control without taking many wickets. That is a bit of a worry, if their batting fails there will be a lot of pressure on the Fonse to get wickets. Still, 3/3 now so the outright has a chance. Might struggle to look at tomoorow's games as am out tonight but let me know if you get on anything :)

Re: Bangladesh Premier League Great result for the Riders again with a comfortable win against the Burners who I had marked as second favs at the beginning of the tournament, but are obviously struggling. Khulna look in dire straights, when commentator states that 'Masakadza and Stirling are the most potent strike force in this competition' because they are 60 odd on the board off the first four overs that it's time to give up and go home :rollin The games tomorrow night feature the bottom four so I am expecting a low odds gubbing of some sorts in one of those matches. The day after tomorrow see's the top two meet with the 'most potent strike force in this competition' come face to face with the most potent strike force in the competition in Wright and Ashraful. I quite fancy a small upset here. This is Wright's final game before leaving for NZ and will probably have half a foot on the plane. Ashraful is a nut case and you never know what will happen with him. Dhaka have never really been put under pressure before and if they are two down early on, or the 'most potent strike force in this competition' start roughing the average Dhaka attack up then something could definitely happen here. The CCC Riders will obviously roll over Khulna on their march to the trophy.... NAILED ON :ok Last thing and I really should know this but I dont. There is one play off match and two semi finals.... So the top five qualify for the knockout stages? What a monumental waste of time playing 40 odd matches to eliminate two teams.

Re: Bangladesh Premier League Just checked the qualification rules on wikipedia ( of all places ), see below. Bit like the RL Super League playoff system. Group stage eliminates 3 teams after 42 matches. #overkill. [h=3]Playoff stage[/h] [h=4]Qualifier 1[/h] [TABLE=width: 100%]

[TR] [TD=align: right] 15 February 18:00 (D/N) Scorecard[/TD] [TD=align: right]Group stage 1st [/TD] [TD=align: center]v[/TD] [TD=align: left]Group stage 2nd [/TD] [TD]Match 43 Shere Bangla National Stadium, Mirpur[/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD=align: right][/TD] [TD][/TD] [TD=align: left][/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD=colspan: 5]

[/TD] [/TR]

[/TABLE] [h=4]Eliminator[/h] [TABLE=width: 100%] [TR] [TD=align: right] 16 February 18:00 (D/N) Scorecard[/TD] [TD=align: right]Group stage 3rd [/TD] [TD=align: center]v[/TD] [TD=align: left]Group stage 4th [/TD] [TD]Match 44 Shere Bangla National Stadium, Mirpur[/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD=align: right][/TD] [TD][/TD] [TD=align: left][/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD=colspan: 5]
  • Winner will qualify for Qualifier 2 & loser will be eliminated

[/TD] [/TR]

[/TABLE] [h=4]Qualifier 2[/h] [TABLE=width: 100%] [TR] [TD=align: right] 17 February 18:00 (D/N) Scorecard[/TD] [TD=align: right]Loser of Qualifier 1 [/TD] [TD=align: center]v[/TD] [TD=align: left]Winner of Eliminator [/TD] [TD]Match 45 Shere Bangla National Stadium, Mirpur[/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD=align: right][/TD] [TD][/TD] [TD=align: left][/TD] [/TR] [TR] [TD=colspan: 5]
  • Winner will qualify for final & loser will be eliminated

[/TD] [/TR]

[/TABLE] [h=4]Final[/h] [TABLE=width: 100%] [TR] [TD=align: right] 19 February 17:30 (D/N) Scorecard[/TD] [TD=align: right]Winner of Qualifier 1 [/TD] [TD=align: center]v[/TD] [TD=align: left]Winner of Qualifier 2 [/TD] [TD]Match 46 Shere Bangla National Stadium, Mirpur [/TD] [/TR] [/TABLE] Rangpur Bookworms looking good. Was on them today. Very good figures for Razzak. Very knowledgable commentary that. He'll be praising Dhaka's lethal bowling attack in their next game. :lol Not much appeal in the match odds for either match tomorrow. See if one of them can mess up a run chase, maybe Chittagong again. Haven't seen any top runscorer markets anywhere ? Skybet and cetain others had prices for the Caribbean T20 but not this one it seems. Can't help but feel there would be good prices on some of the local lads. Although clearly opposing Paul Stirling or Hamilton Masakadza would be reckless.

Re: Bangladesh Premier League Syhlet BANG ......Sorry I'll get my coat. Looks like Dhaka won't be as potent with the loss of Wright which should make for an interesting competition. I'm not a tin foil hat sort of person but think I should throw out a 'handle with care' caution about Duronto. Like I said before they have been involved in some very 'interesting' matches and last night was no exception. For Khulna to hit 197/0 when they were odds against to post 140....... hmmmmmmm. Bizarre price in my opinion on the upcoming game with Khulna 1.75 and Rangpur 2.3 My Spider senses are telling me there must be a reason for this price but taken at face value the prices should be the other way around. I don't know if everyone is expecting a repeat of last night but I can't see Fiddy, Dimmy and Razzak going for those sort of numbers. Maybe some team news I havent heard about but. Danza Hyatt has apparently joined the Riders squad and he had quite a consistent CT20 comp. Wessels is in great nick for Khulna and Vincent seems to be finding his feet, but Birt and Harris have been out of form for a long while now, and as their 1-3 record shows the rest of the team are not exactly world beaters. Being outright on Rangpur I should just sit back and watch but 2.3 is too big too ignore imo.

Re: Bangladesh Premier League I took the 2.5 on sylhet earlier, thought you had a good point about wright. Thought price was too big - they were also unbeaten on 3/3 with a similar nrr. Rolled profit into riders at the 2.3 which again looked a bit plump. Seems as if Khulna's limited achievements prior to yesterday had been forgotten ! Although have to say they have made a good start here. Rangpur have been pretty good at chasing though in previous games. Hossain the key here. Riders coughed up quite a few runs towards the end of 1st inns which was a surprise. Duronto in their pastel pyjamas are anyone's guess ! The ones to keep an eye on in terms of an in-play lay.

Re: Bangladesh Premier League Riders definitely getting into the CCC spirit of things and grasping defeat from the jaws of victory :loon Hope you managed to get out at sub 1.2 when Khulna were 28/4, alas I had an emergency call to attend a SNI (****ty Nappy Incident) and came back to find Harris in nosebleed territory and that was that. Great knock again from Hossain, he's seeing it like a beach ball at the moment - 212 runs from four matches, two of which were losses. Circus moves to Chittagong on monday with the home side facing Sylhet first game up. Have a feeling most potent strike force in this competition might start firing blanks so will be looking to oppose Sylhet from now on, Dhaka also.

Re: Bangladesh Premier League Still not entirely sure how Khulna ended up on 150. I held on until part-way through the chase and eventually enacted a cowardly cash-out. Thus a mildly profitable experience overall. As for SNIs ( with which I am also familiar these days :) ) - generally those experiences are wildly unpleasant but you feel compelled to do it. A bit like betting. This fella Hossain, if only there was a top runscorer market I would have backed him for sure. One person I wouldn't have had enough vision to back is Nafees for Khulna, who has hit almost as many runs in his last two games - 150 - as he did in the previous 15 of his career. I love this most potent strike force in this competition quote. They were pretty impotent today those two. Will certainly think about backing Chittagong. They have got some good players, if they get some momentum going after that first win then who knows. Nominally their home ground as you say; not sure how much that counts for with these franchises but it certainly won't hurt that's for sure. Am now not convinced about this Dhaka outright bet. I agree there could be more money to be made opposing them. Need to find out if Wright is being replaced by anyone.

Re: Bangladesh Premier League Think Chittagong will go off about 1.75 - 1.8 here which I think is OK but wouldn't be backing any lower. The price is dropping quite fast so not sure if some team news has come out. The table doesn't lie but the Dhaka match aside, Sylhet's matches have been against the three weakest teams in the tournament. They have yet to face a decent attack and Oram, Tait, Cooper, Bopara and Haque will be a different challenge all together. Chittagong have got some major batting power in their squad, and I am hoping they will bat first and post 180 odd. Nannes and Gazi are dangerous and restrictive respectively, but can still get taken around the park.

Re: Bangladesh Premier League Nervous finish coming up. Pulled the escape cord at 1.3 fortunately when it looked like a fightback might be coming. Impressive from sylhet middle order but chittagong looked like they were on for a bigger total for much of their innings. 5/5 now from the royals, solid stuff.

Re: Bangladesh Premier League Ouch, 125k done at 1.08 on Chittagong. Not a good tournament for the money buyers this. Reminiscent of the Khulna - Rangpur game, four early wickets then pull out a win. I must say, with the Windies trio to come in Sylhet look pretty dangerous. Keeping an open mind for the next game, if Barisal bat will look to back 170/180, but basically looking for low odds gubbing where possible. With Duronto playing who knows what might happen!