** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

BRM...

hebert10

Just wanted to get an idea of what kind of bank roll management people use on here for MTT's and STT's. Have managed to build up a roll to over $500 from $10 in the last 2-3 months since getting back in to poker from micro cash (few of you may have seen the thread in the poker challenges section) and now am focusing more on small stakes MTT's and STT's ($0-$6). Basically my question for members on here is at what point should I try to move up stakes, I was going to try and hit $1000 then start to play tournaments up to about $15? Cheers :\

Re: BRM... i mostly play around the $5- $15 dollers mark for mtt dont touch cash games as u need a bigger roll for that just start small and if u win a big amount then try treating yourself to play a one off sliglty bigger tourny as a one off at least that way you wont feel the need to push or risk your own bankroll ,,, just try to look around and spot the value games online the ones that dont risk your bankroll too much for example today if you deposit on 32red poker they are giving 5 multiplicty tickets free for nothing i know it may seem like little but thats how you need to be wise about your dollers its a slow grind winning on mtt but it pays off if you win one gl :hope

Wrote an in depth reply last night but must've pushed the wrong button as not saved, doh! Basically was saying that for STT (single table) SnG's a brm of 50BI is sensible as variance often throws up losing sequences of up to 15 or 20 games in a row. If you want to be aggressive you could take it down to 30BI on the smaller stakes, as long as don't mind the higher risk of losing it all and as long as you review it regularly after sessions. It is always a balancing act between risk & reward to get the best value out of your roll. I personally increased brm to 75BI on $20 STT's & 100BI on $50 STT's as you encounter a lot of better regs at those levels and your roi gets squeezed a lot. All brm is subjective however and will largely depend on your available funds, whether you have additional deposits available and personal circumstances. For MTT SnG's & tournaments, 100BI is commonplace to build a little security in to what can be high variance. I would never suggest anything less than 75BI for tournaments unless you're doing a throw it away "shot" like a steps challenge for example. I personally had been using a 200BI on tournaments recently due to personal circs, lack of funds & mainly play for fun. Set out a suitable brm for your own circumstances, review it regularly and don't be afraid to drop down a level when running bad and you should be fine. Most mistakes with brm in my experience come from people who don't drop down when they should and try to ride out a bad spell which adds unnecessary pressure on results and can severely affect performance. Giving yourself a treat of a single shot at a higher buyin can also help to ease the pain of a long grinding month as long as you again do it sensibly and only when your roll can afford it.

Also don't rule out freerolls and smaller buyin tournaments with added value. You'll often find some of PL's biggest buyin grinders playing smaller tournaments alongside their existing games due to the value involved which can help to support your roll during the down months. Not to mention the bink factor where some members (mentioning no names) have managed to spin up a freeroll win into something substantial.

Re: BRM... Sounds like you have a cautious approach Herbert and are going along the right lines re BRM. I use a simple 5% maximum entry fee rule so with $100 in my account my maximum buy in would be a $5 tourney - with $500, I would play $20 tourneys. I break the 5% rule is when there is some fantastic value from overlay on offer or when I've had a few too many beers :beer:beer:beer

Re: BRM... appreciate the input here thanks alot... Basically i've been trying to sort out where I was going wrong in poker and I found a few things I needed to improve on. I definitely feel i've improved alot though and cut out silly mistakes I used to make e.g. playing higher stake tourneys, not folding enough (or letting hands go), getting impatient and thinking more about position. I think choice of site is alot more important than people think when they first start off playing poker aswel, took me a while to realise how hard it actually was to run deep in a low stakes tourney on Stars when you have a field of 6 or 7k, luck plays more of a role than you would think. I now only really use Stars for the 'value' tournaments or the great freerolls they offer.

Re: BRM... Extremely good points Heb, you need to win a heck of a lot of flips in a 6k field just to get into the money sometimes. I'm currently finding Ongame extremely soft, but traffic has been hit a little since bwin moved onto Party. iPoker is still a favourite of mine, but the software is still very buggy at the moment meaning I don't want to risk too much at any point of time on there. I find it useful to have a number of options available, helps to break up the boredom of grinding on just 1 place.