** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

Wigan v Stoke > 1st September

staffy

Re: Wigan v Stoke > 1st September It is hard to tell much about Wigan since they have lost at home to Chelsea, then beat newly promoted Southampton and in midweek beat Nottingham Forrest in League Cup, but still conceded 2 goals from the Championship side. Stoke did not do really well in my opinion. Away draw against newly promoted Reading and a home draw against not so strong Arsenal, and then home loss to Swindon in League Cup. Upon checking head to head stats between these two sides I have noticed that in the last 10 games 5 were draws. So based on the performance of these two sides and historical results I don't think there will be a winner here. Draw @ 3.25 (2 units) Bet365

Re: Wigan v Stoke > 1st September Wigan have picked up were they left off at the end of last season minus the first 10 minutes of the Chelsea game where Ramis lost the plot and cost them the game. After that initial bad start I felt they played quite well against Chelsea and created more chances than Chelsea. They impressed me again against Southampton when they were under pressure and still game out of the game with a 2-0 victory away from home. Stoke have started quite poorly this season which is why pulis is looking to bring in re inforcements. Apart from a mistake from Federci in the first match against Reading they didn't really create a lot. The same was the case against Arsenal at home were they barely threatened the Arsenal goal. The lack of creativity in the centre of the pitch is a concern which is something that they need to address. Last season Stoke averaged just 39% possession in away matches and playing against a Wigan side who look to dominate possession will see them struggle to retain the ball. In the four matches that these two sides have played at Wigan in the premiership three have finished in draws and the most recent finishing 2-0 to Wigan. With Stokes awful away record last season which saw them pick up just four wins and score 11 goals this will be a difficult game. I can't see Wigan loosing this game so I'm happy to take a punt on them at their current price. Wigan 2.25 WilliamHill

Re: Wigan v Stoke > 1st September Wigan vs Stoke This is the fixture that stands out most to me, and tends to include game dynamics I'm good at isolating then evaluating. Starting with Wigan and their most recent clash against Forest in the League Cup. I predicted that Wigan will have a 'better go' in this year's competition after a very optimistic end to last season. Indeed Martinez still made changes to give debuts to new players and also a game for the fringe players. Aside from a rather cagey first 25 minutes, Wigan dominated most of the game from there on, scoring some excellent goals. The likes of Boselli, Figueroa and Gomez getting on the scoresheet in the remainder of the first half. If you get defenders to score goals like that, Wigan will be challenging for a European spot. Despite being reduced to 10 men, Wigan kept very calm and Martinez even chose this time to give debuts to Fyvie and Miyaichi. The latter of which made a good run on the break to set up McManaman, another player on the fringes to seal the game for Wigan. Wigan played their football throughout, scored excellent individual goals and also team goals. New players made their debut and they got the win in the end with Martinez able to give some of his first team players a rest. Stoke did not have the same great fortunes on the same day in the League Cup. They were beaten in the end by a "Barca like" Swindon side, described by Di Canio. Even Pulis had no complaints at all over the game and praised their achievement to come to their "fortress" being a league one club, play good football and get the win. No doubt Stoke City and Pulish relishes a good cup run, especially being a mid-tabled Premier league side with n European commitments this season. The exit will no doubt have hurt, as it is probably Stoke's one of two chances to get their hands on Silverware this season, after near success in recent seasons. Pulis subsequently shoved out a very strong side who had to endure a full 120 minutes of football, a massive contrast to Wigan, who were comfortable winners in 90 minutes with a trip to Championship Forest. On to the league form, Stoke are still unbeaten with two draws. They will feel unlucky to concede such a late penalty, but their lead was gifted by the Reading goalkeeper Federici. I scribbled down "Stoke felt boring and uncreative" after watching extended highlights of the match. However, you may feel this sounds a bit biased, especially seeing where this is all leading up to. Wigan have made a slightly better start and their win at Southampton takes them to 3 points, which will have boosted their confidence dramatically, especially after a vital blow by Chelsea in a game that was over in the first 10 minutes. Another relevant point to mention is Wigan's 2 - 0 win in this fixture over Stoke at the end of last season. A game played during their run of excellent form and a key one to really make Wigan fans believe they can escape relegation. Wigan may not be playing at their best as we've seen towards the last season, however they will not want to be dragged into another relegation battle, even though Martinez insists that Premier League survival is their main aim. Even the most critical of critics will feel more optimism surrounding Wigan's position and potentially slightly greater achievements such as a top half finish even. Finally, Wigan fans have finally started turning up to matches and attendance has dramatically increased following their great escape last season. Stoke are generally poorer away from home, and being rated as the stronger team minus the home advantage, I seriously question that. I feel Wigan should be rated closer to 2.20 or less. Hence: 1/9/12 EPL Wigan vs Stoke Wigan 13/10 StanJames 10/10 OPEN

I think a lot of this depends on whether or not stoke make any signings before 11pm tonight. They're desperately lacking a striker IMO, and maybe a bit more strength in the wide areas. They've been linked to Michael Owen for weeks now, and other players have been linked. So it wouldn't surprise me to see stoke sign a couple of new players. I can understand the calls for backing Wigan, but I fancy the draw here as I still think stoke will be too tough for them to break down. This is a real six pointer, and stoke look just as tough as ever to play against. But they need a couple of signings to kick start their season.

Stoke are set to sign Charlie Adam, which looks a cracking bit of business. Fair enough he didn't make it at Liverpool, but I don't think the circumstances were right there. If they can get him playing the way he did for Blackpool, Adam will provide the sort of creativity stoke have been sorely lacking.

Re: Wigan v Stoke > 1st September Under 2.5 goals 1.7 @ Betfair - This game looks like it could be a 1-0 to either side or a 0-0 or 1-1 draw. Wigan have started he season well with a good win at Southampton last week which actually really impressed me as it is difficult playing a newly promoted side away from home. They also avoided a potential banana skin in the league cup where they battered Forest 4-1. In their first game only lapses of concentration in the first 10 minutes cost them against Chelsea although for the rest of the game they did very well and kept the score down as well as creating chances to score themselves. Martinez side now look difficult to beat and have tightened up defensively which could be down to their new formation of 3-5-2. Stoke have had a decent start to the season barring the embarassing 3-4 loss at home to Swindon in the League Cup. In their first game they got what was in my eyes a good result with a 1-1 draw at Reading and came agonisingly close to all 3 points. They then hosted Arsenal last weekend which ended 0-0 and they put in a very solid defensive performance in what was a fairly boring match in all honesty. In my eyes Stoke are solid defensively but lack any real quality up front and this combined with Wigan who look more solid defensively now and do not offer much threat in attack (although Kone could prove to be a good signing as well as the loan signing of Miyachi from Arsenal) means that under 2.5 goals looks like a good bet which is a best priced 1.7 @ Betfair.

Re: Wigan v Stoke > 1st September Stoke managed to get the signing of Steven N'Zonzi done just before the transfer deadline. If they manage to play both him and Charlie Adam at todays game, i see Wigan having a very hard time today. One more thing to add is that Wigan suffered a major loss when Victor Moses went to Chelsea, and im quite convinced that it's gonna take a while for someone to replace him. I'm going to back Stoke today because i think their team seems a bit stronger than Wigans atm. Stoke 3.30 >Bet365

Re: Wigan v Stoke > 1st September Wigan v Stoke +0.5 @ 1.80 VCbet (3 points) First Goalscorer: Charlie Adam @ 21.00 Bet365 (1 point) The general consensus here is that Wigan will win this and I can fully understand that point of view. Wigan seem to be a different team and they are creating plenty of chances and keeping possession. Very well. Stoke have also been quite poor for sometime now and everything is not well at the Potters. So there is plenty in Wigans favour here. However a +0.5 handicap is just too generous on Stoke for me not to take. Even when not playing well, Stoke can be very hard to beat as Arsenal found out last week and there has to be a decent chance of the draw here. I expect Pulis to go with 5 in midfield with Charlie Adam playing a bit more advanced in the middle with defensive midfielders behind him giving him licence to roam. He is also likely to take set pieces and penalties. I don't normally take novelty bets but 20/1 looks generous on him considering he could be playing quite advanced and he used to put a few away for Blackpool when playing in such a position. Overall I see Stoke being tough to break down and wil side with them to avoid defeat.

Re: Wigan v Stoke > 1st September

It is hard to tell much about Wigan since they have lost at home to Chelsea' date= then beat newly promoted Southampton and in midweek beat Nottingham Forrest in League Cup, but still conceded 2 goals from the Championship side. Stoke did not do really well in my opinion. Away draw against newly promoted Reading and a home draw against not so strong Arsenal, and then home loss to Swindon in League Cup. Upon checking head to head stats between these two sides I have noticed that in the last 10 games 5 were draws. So based on the performance of these two sides and historical results I don't think there will be a winner here. Draw @ 3.25 (2 units) Bet365
Second winning bet for me today :beer

Re: Wigan v Stoke > 1st September

Wigan vs Stoke 1/9/12 EPL Wigan vs Stoke Wigan 13/10 StanJames 10/10 OPEN
Abit disappointed Wigan did not hold on to a lead twice, but there are arguments that a draw is probably a fair enough result. I'd of course say Wigan edged it. But thats irrelevant now. 1/9/12 EPL Wigan vs Stoke Wigan 13/10 StanJames 10/10 FT 2 - 2 -10 units