A little help understanding racing terms

I'm relatively new to horse racing, or trying to look into a race before I bet should I say. There's a couple of things I need help understanding if that's possible. Mostly weight-related. I understand that the figures after a horse on a card are weights in stones and pounds eg. Bornean in the 2.10 Brighton is 9-3 but what if theres 3 digits? is the 3rd the handicap weights? What does 6ex mean next to a trainer? And lastly, if the form has certain numbers in bold, does this mean the race was in the same group or what? Thanks for any help guys.

Re: A little help understanding racing terms The weight can have 3 digits.........eg 9-13 would be 9 stones 13 pounds 6ex would appear by the horse's name and means the horse is carrying an additional 6 lbs 'penalty' for have won a race too recently to have been re-assessed by the handicapper A form figure in bold means that that race was on the all weather tracks

This thread has more posts. To see them, you'll need to sign up or sign in.