** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

How not to play a live tournament

Haichan

I qualified for this weekends Dusk til Dawn £100,000 GTD and played day 1b on saturday. 329 entries for day 1b but with a starting stack of 30,000 and 20 min blinds plenty of time for play. I promised myself that I would start slow and patient. I hve a pretty good live tournament record. Played 21, cashed in 9 and won 4. The only time I played at Dusk til Dawn I had cashed 5th in a super 50 so thought I had a good chance of going deep. For the first hour didn't play a hand but was surprised to see how loose some players were. playing 10/7 and 8/6 out of position. After an hour got my first decent hand in AA in mid position. The pot had already been raised to 750 and called in 1 place and I simply called the raise. My first mistake. Blinds were only 150/300. Flop comes 466 and theirs 4000 in pot. I bet 3500 and everyone folds apart from the player to my right who reraises to 7000. Mistake 2. I should have reraised. instead call the raise and the turn is a 2. Player to my right raises 7000. I put him on 10/10 or 9/9 but he could have a 6. Take my time and then reaise him to 15,000. He takes an age and then calls. The river is a blank and we both check He shows q6 off. Admidts he was thinking of folding as he thought I had the full house. So after an hour I am down to 6,000. For the next 4 hours nurse my small stack. At one stage I am down to 2,000 with blinds at 400/200. Get KK's and nobody calls my raise and finally on the last hand before second brake with blinds at 600/300 after several limpers get QQ and push my remaining 4,000 all in. Everyone folds but I am up to 10,000. However after break get AK on button and raise only for big blind with around 30,000 to go all in. He had been very loose so I call and he shows JJ's which hold up and Im out. So very disappointing. I suppose the biggest lesson I learned is that it is very hard to force players in these events off hands. As probably 40% of the players have satetllited in to a £200 buyin tourny for $20 they are prepared to play all kinds of hands in the hope of getting lucky. I should have folded after the reraise but folding AA's in a tourny is always difficult.

Re: How not to play a live tournament Can I ask your reason behind flatting with the aces after a limper ? Also I actually agree with flatting the reraise on the flop , but not check - raise the turn afterwards as he is likely bluffing or got you beat if he the re raises you what you doing?

Re: How not to play a live tournament I didn't flat. As I said their had a been an early position raise and call. I should have reraised. However the table had been playing pretty loose so that I thought I could take it with a big raise on the flop. Of course he hit trip 6's