** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

Greece v Russia June 16th

Re: Greece v Russia June 16th This is an interesting one. As far as I can see, Greece HAVE to win, and a draw is enough for Russia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Euro_2012_Group_A Greece have 1 point Russia have 4 points From what I've seen Greece have been very poor and Russia very good. I'm wondering if the gap in class here could be similar to the Spain v Ireland game? With Greece needing to win here and being forced to abandon their (ineffective) defensive style, it looks as though Russia are likely to win this game by a few goals. Over 2.5 goals at 2.03 with 188bet looks reasonable value. Possible value on a Russia as well at 1.75 (always a small risk that Russia might settle for a draw though, particularly if Greece start threatening).

Re: Greece v Russia June 16th It's important to note that Greece will be without their first goalkeeper Chalkias and defender Papadopoulos. I think draw looks like a good option for Russia, because it is unlikely that Czech Rep. will beat Poland in my opinion. Furthermore, if Russia draw, then Poland will have to beat the Czech Rep. by a really good goal difference to win the group and I don't think that is possible. Draw is very likely here.

Re: Greece v Russia June 16th Long time lurker, first time poster. In order for the Russians to top Group A, they must go out and beat Greece tomorrow. On the other hand, Greece who are currently sitting at the bottom of the table with only 1 point, must play with an all out attack if they stand a chance of making it out of the group stages. This in my eyes, will prove to be the their downfall. The Russians who have a formidable strike force with the likes of Alan Dzagoev, Andrei Arshavin and Aleksandr Kerzhakov will find the gaps within a weakened Greek side and should score a number of goals. For this reason and this reason alone, I'm going to go with the following bet: Russia HT/FT @ 7/4 - William Hill

Re: Greece v Russia June 16th Russia are probably in the best position in this group since they don't have to win this game. Even they they will obviously top the group. However, if they draw with Greece they will be second if Czech Rep. beats Poland, which is unlikely in my opinion and they will still win the group, unless Poland beat Czech Rep. by 4 or more goals. I don't think Greece will be able to win this game and in my opinion draw is the best they can achieve. The important thing here is that if the score is 1-1 for example after 60-70 minutes and Poland is winning in their respective game I don't think Russia will push for a win and they should be able to contain the Greeks. Russia have an impressive record against Greece, winning all 4 previous meeting against them. Another important fact is that Greece have scored a solitary goal in each of their last 7 games, managing only 1 win. Both to Score @ 1.91 William Hill

Re: Greece v Russia June 16th This will be an interesting game, Greece need to win here and Russia only need a draw but I disagree I believe Russia are still going to play there attacking football. I think the Russian Team are much better than the greeks and are missing there goalkeeper and defender. I think Russia will win this comfortably and Greece just havent got the firepower to score against a well organised Russian defence. Russia Handicap -1 £3.00 sportsbet Russia To Keep A Clean Sheet $2.29 :hope

Re: Greece v Russia June 16th Greece need to win this to stand a chance of going through with Russia only needing to draw. I can't see Russia playing for a goal and expect to see them try and beat the Greeks early on so they can rest a few players for the next round. The Greece defence will struggle to cope with the attackers Russia have. When Greece try and push on to score the Russians can use there deadly counter attacks to make them pay. Russia 1.73 BetVictor

Re: Greece v Russia June 16th

This is an interesting one. As far as I can see, Greece HAVE to win, and a draw is enough for Russia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Euro_2012_Group_A Greece have 1 point Russia have 4 points From what I've seen Greece have been very poor and Russia very good. I'm wondering if the gap in class here could be similar to the Spain v Ireland game? With Greece needing to win here and being forced to abandon their (ineffective) defensive style, it looks as though Russia are likely to win this game by a few goals. Over 2.5 goals at 2.03 with 188bet looks reasonable value. Possible value on a Russia as well at 1.75 (always a small risk that Russia might settle for a draw though, particularly if Greece start threatening).
Greece are a very funny team. In this competition and in the World Cup I think they've looked awful. Yet they seem to do the business in qualifying, where they topped their group ahead of Croatia; I remember losing money when I backed Croatia 0AH against them in qualifying. They have their goalie and one first choice centre back out through injury here. As you've said they need to win, which I think will play into Russia's hands. They don't look like they know what they're doing defensively which is again in contrast to how they were in qualifying. There is the possibility they will somehow regain their former organisation but with their injuries at the back it doesn't look likely. Even if they don't need to win, due to the result in the other game, Russia on the counter attack should get some good chances to take three points. The Russia win @ 1.83 with 188bet is my bet.

Re: Greece v Russia June 16th I also fancy Russia to beat Greece. They will pose a big aerial threat, will be faster, have better players, and have a strong front-line, and with Dzagoev in form, hard to see Greece getting anything.

Re: Greece v Russia June 16th 4pts Russia to beat Greece 5/6 BetVictor

Greece have been opened up at the back in both their matches so far which is very un-Greece like but if Poland and the Czechs are opening them up then this Russian side with their pace and movement and quality passing could really have the Greek back four struggling. Full preview here:

http://www.punterslounge.com/greece-vs-russia-betting--russia-s-quality-can-open-up-greek-back-line-to-ensure-they-win-group-a

Re: Greece v Russia June 16th Russia -1 (EH) @ 3.10 sportsbet While Greece may qualify with a win here, what they have shown thuse far makes it extremely doubtful. Their normally reliable defence has conceded goals in the 2-1 loss to Poland and 1-1 draw to the Czech Republic and now meet Russia who head the group. The Russians only need a draw to qualify but they wouls not want to finish second as that would mean a game with Germany so expect them to go for the win. Not only should they win as their attack has scored goals in the 4-1 win over the Czech Republic and 1-1 draw with Poland, but they have shown that they are very quick in their attack. Greece cannot sit back as they need to win which should see some gaps appear in their defence and like the Russians to exploit them on the counter. Like them be too good for the Greeks here

Re: Greece v Russia June 16th This is a key game for Russia to finish top of group A and a win will give them just that. They will attack and against Greeece, we will surely see an entertaining game. Greece hasn't been the strongest suit in this competition, they might have had a good half against Poland but went back to their little hole against Czech Republic. They will fall short because they have to win and without a doubt they will be counter when they move up the field. Russia has one more chance to get themselves at the top of the top and they will need it by doingit in style. Big win here. Source TFB

Re: Greece v Russia June 16th Kind of fancy a draw in this one. Russia are obviously the better team, but they're yet to play well in both halves and if they go ahead, may let Greece back in to it. Obviously there's a lot at stake and they may get a little nervy. Russia sides of the past are notorious for bottling it and although their mentality has improved a lot under Hiddink and The Little General, there may still be traces of that. I don't think Greece are too awful. The were exceptional with ten men against Poland and should of won. They also have one of their first choice centre backs returning tonight, and the other guy is a kid linked with Man United, so things don't look too desperate in that area. I don't see Russia risking losing this one and backing them to win a game they may be very happy to draw isn't for me.

Long time lurker, first time poster. In order for the Russians to top Group A, they must go out and beat Greece tomorrow. On the other hand, Greece who are currently sitting at the bottom of the table with only 1 point, must play with an all out attack if they stand a chance of making it out of the group stages. This in my eyes, will prove to be the their downfall. The Russians who have a formidable strike force with the likes of Alan Dzagoev, Andrei Arshavin and Aleksandr Kerzhakov will find the gaps within a weakened Greek side and should score a number of goals. For this reason and this reason alone, I'm going to go with the following bet: Russia HT/FT @ 7/4 - William Hill
:welcome to PL .... good first post :ok Hope your bet wins :)

Re: Greece v Russia June 16th I have thought about this long and hard and finally decided to go with Russia. I was worried about the draw but I think Russia are the better team and need a win to confirm top spot in the league. Russia @ 1.83 Stake 10 points coral

Re: Greece v Russia June 16th I've not been impressed with Greece at all and any team that relies on a useless lump like Samaras is going to struggle. I expected Russia to win last time out and they started well enough. I'd like to see Pavlyuchenko given more game time as he does well for his country when given a chance. I can see this being 2-0, 3-0 or more and Russia trying to win the group with a few goals along the way. I've taken Russia/Over 2.5 goals at 2.9 with Betfair so if Greece do nick a goal but Russia still win they'll be doing me a favour.

Re: Greece v Russia June 16th I think the Russians will win here. The Russians have shown good form destoying the Czech Republic and were held to a draw by Poland thanks to a superb equaliser from Poland. Greece were fortunate the inexperienced at big tournaments Polish froze in the second half against them after being dominated in the first half and almost got a result against the Czech's after being gifted a goal by poor goalkeeping. I dont see Russia making the same mistakes as previous oponents. Russia need to win to ensure they avoid the Germans in the next round and I think they would be mad not to go for the win. I think class should prevail and I think Russia will pick off their oponents as they push for the win. 5pts Russia 1.82 betfair 2pts Russia -1.5 3.2 betfair

Kind of fancy a draw in this one. Russia are obviously the better team, but they're yet to play well in both halves and if they go ahead, may let Greece back in to it. Obviously there's a lot at stake and they may get a little nervy. Russia sides of the past are notorious for bottling it and although their mentality has improved a lot under Hiddink and The Little General, there may still be traces of that. I don't think Greece are too awful. The were exceptional with ten men against Poland and should of won. They also have one of their first choice centre backs returning tonight, and the other guy is a kid linked with Man United, so things don't look too desperate in that area. I don't see Russia risking losing this one and backing them to win a game they may be very happy to draw isn't for me.
Pathetic effort. Their only consolation is Poland were even more pitiful.

Russia -1 (EH) @ 3.10 sportsbet While Greece may qualify with a win here, what they have shown thuse far makes it extremely doubtful. Their normally reliable defence has conceded goals in the 2-1 loss to Poland and 1-1 draw to the Czech Republic and now meet Russia who head the group. The Russians only need a draw to qualify but they wouls not want to finish second as that would mean a game with Germany so expect them to go for the win. Not only should they win as their attack has scored goals in the 4-1 win over the Czech Republic and 1-1 draw with Poland, but they have shown that they are very quick in their attack. Greece cannot sit back as they need to win which should see some gaps appear in their defence and like the Russians to exploit them on the counter. Like them be too good for the Greeks here
:@ Tha was rubbish. Not only did they lose this game but also lost it for me to win the group

Re: Greece v Russia June 16th I know this a betting thread and blackcrow is very accurate with his write ups and his views. As a Greek they played like garbage in first 2 games. Now to win like that it doesn't make sense russia are obviously not as good as we all thought they were.

Good God' date=' I've lost a hell of a lot of money tonight.[/quote'] Mate, I am probably the biggest mug on this forum. I placed a four figure sum on Russia to qualify at 1/10 thinking that it was better than bank interest and that Greece had to beat Russia by 3 goals for Russia NOT to qualify. If I had just bothered reading the tournament rules I would have realised that goal difference is secondary to head to head. I know this sounds like sour grapes, deflecting the blame et cetera but BBC's inaccurate reporting the night before didn't help either. The reporter actually stated that even a win for Greece wouldn't be enough unless they did so by 3 clear goals. Anyways, its my fault entirely, how can anyone part with such a large sum of money without making sure if all permutations have been understood, I feel disgusted with myself!

Russia are probably in the best position in this group since they don't have to win this game. Even they they will obviously top the group. However, if they draw with Greece they will be second if Czech Rep. beats Poland, which is unlikely in my opinion and they will still win the group, unless Poland beat Czech Rep. by 4 or more goals. I don't think Greece will be able to win this game and in my opinion draw is the best they can achieve. The important thing here is that if the score is 1-1 for example after 60-70 minutes and Poland is winning in their respective game I don't think Russia will push for a win and they should be able to contain the Greeks. Russia have an impressive record against Greece, winning all 4 previous meeting against them. Another important fact is that Greece have scored a solitary goal in each of their last 7 games, managing only 1 win. Both to Score @ 1.91 William Hill
Just angry :@ P.S. When I was telling that Russia becomes arrogant and can't get results when everybody expects them to. Should have used that approach last night.

Greece need to win this to stand a chance of going through with Russia only needing to draw. I can't see Russia playing for a goal and expect to see them try and beat the Greeks early on so they can rest a few players for the next round. The Greece defence will struggle to cope with the attackers Russia have. When Greece try and push on to score the Russians can use there deadly counter attacks to make them pay. Russia 1.73 BetVictor
Not a great performance from the Russians. Amazed how they went out especially after the first game