Doncaster 7:25

Re: Doncaster 7:25 Madness. It went off at 3/1 favourite with its closest rival gong off at 17/2. Pearl Ice finished somewhere in the pack and didn't even frame. It's probably couldn't run because it was laughing so much at the plonka's who backed it. What kind an idiot backs the lowest rated horse in a 20-runner field down to 3/1? Anyway - the drinks are on me.

Re: Doncaster 7:25

You got away with it this time. I wouldn't make a habit of laying David Barron gambles if i were you.
Thanks for the advice Aidymac. Had the horse been > 6.0, then I would have left it alone but I managed to lay it at 4.3 and, at those odds, in a 20 runner race, it had to be worth taking on - regardless of who the trainer was. I receive lots of winks and nods from lots of folk. Over the long term, I've found it pays dividends to either ignore or lay them, depending on the circumstances.

Thanks for the advice Aidymac. Had the horse been > 6.0, then I would have left it alone but I managed to lay it at 4.3 and, at those odds, in a 20 runner race, it had to be worth taking on - regardless of who the trainer was. I receive lots of winks and nods from lots of folk. Over the long term, I've found it pays dividends to either ignore or lay them, depending on the circumstances.
I do agree, the price was ridiculous.. But normally when Barron has a huge gamble like that, they normally win.. But well done mate

Re: Doncaster 7:25 I agree with Aidy, to a degree. Whilst it wasn't winning on the form book, gambles for stables like this are always dangerous to oppose. I did back the winner but, to me, I felt the draw was the crucial factor and so it improved. If you can find an edge and ultimately narrow the field down to 5/6 horses, you'll find opportunities like this present themselves daily :ok

My apologies CPO if my post gave offence.
No worries mate, I wasn't offended. I only had a little interest on the horse. I used to live next door to Mr Barron in Maunby which is why I still keep in touch with people in the village. I was told they fancied it last night but as with many of his horses that go off favourite, a lot of them get beat. Same person has told me Waffle is expected to go well today but it looks an even more competitive race than last nights.

• 2 weeks later...

Re: Doncaster 7:25 With another duck egg next to its name and another 2lbs lower , it was again favorite , nice draw next to the rails but was in last position and had to go wide and only just failed. Definately handicapped to win but everybody is aware of it now so they may decide not to win with it at the moment , who knows.